Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 09:44   #1

Boat: Freedom 32'
DINGHY REPAIR ON 8 YR OLD DINGHY

Warm weather, fixing time in Norfolk. I have an Achilles hypalon 8' dinghy. It needs major cleaning on the underside. What do I use to get old dried barnacles off? I'm going to redo the patches on the underside as they are really old. I have hypalon patches but what glue that doesn't cost a fortune is good? Also what paint to use on the underside, to as much as possible, retard barnacles etc.? Thanks for sharing all your wisdom.

Old 20-03-2020, 14:36   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: DINGHY REPAIR ON 8 YR OLD DINGHY

Acid eats barnacles' remains. Hypalon is very resistant to most chemicals. Try swimming pool acid or vinegar, and patience. We use a putty knife for the gross removal, so you're only doing the little glued on circles that's left afterwards.

Unless the patches are leaking, leave them alone, you can do damage taking them off. If they are leaking, careful use of a heat gun to break down the glue and peel them off. Use MEK or toluene to remove the remains of the glue.

Use SC 4000 (a conveyor belt adhesive) for the glue, we've had excellent results below the water line. Another glue that can be used is 3M 5200, or their quicker version of it. Read, understand, and follow instructions scrupulously.

There is no effective bottom paint for inflatable dinghies. Instead, work out a hoisting system using one of your halyards, and get that dinghy out of the water most nights. Friends of ours had a dinghy without lifting eyes. They used a pair of webbing straps, like seat belt webbing, with D rings, that they hooked up to their genoa halyard, re-boarded the mother boat with a step, and hoisted it. They'd hoist with a small o/b on, no damage to anything, and less theft risk, with the dinghy hanging out at the deck level.

Ann

Old 20-03-2020, 15:11   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Warm weather, fixing time in Norfolk. I have an Achilles hypalon 8' dinghy. It needs major cleaning on the underside. What do I use to get old dried barnacles off? I'm going to redo the patches on the underside as they are really old. I have hypalon patches but what glue that doesn't cost a fortune is good? Also what paint to use on the underside, to as much as possible, retard barnacles etc.? Thanks for sharing all your wisdom.
Always best to avoid antifoul on a rubber dingy

If you must They do make antifoul for tenders
Iíve never used it but I see the charter companies use it
Seems to work
The one from Pettit seems popular
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 17:00   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If the edges of the patches are fraying etc you May can seal them with adhesive, but if they aren’t leaking excessively, leave them be.
I don’t see how 5200 would be a good adhesive, for one thing it takes forever to cure, and secondly when cured it’s not real flexible. I’d use if if I had to, but not if I had another option.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 17:25   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Bostik 2401 or 2402 Readily available in the UK
!
Old 20-03-2020, 22:23   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Bostik may be hard to get right now, it is good glue. However, it is often set up in the can when you open it. It is not a good "keeper."

Actually once used 5200 to bond a herculite (pvc) sub floor onto an old hypalon Zodiac floor to make it water tight. A 64's right. It took a week to dry, but never gave any trouble in the 8 yrs. or so we owned the dinghy, so it worked okay after drying.

Zengirl asked for something not astronomically expensive. 5200 meets that qualification.

Ann
Old 21-03-2020, 08:23   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Bostik may be hard to get right now, it is good glue. However, it is often set up in the can when you open it. It is not a good "keeper."

Actually once used 5200 to bond a herculite (pvc) sub floor onto an old hypalon Zodiac floor to make it water tight. A 64's right. It took a week to dry, but never gave any trouble in the 8 yrs. or so we owned the dinghy, so it worked okay after drying.

Zengirl asked for something not astronomically expensive. 5200 meets that qualification.

Ann
Thanks Ann, I have a friend that used 5200 and it worked for him too. I wanted more opinions to verify. So I'm going with that. I also like that idea of a sub floor. 3M Marine 5200 now has a fast cure.
Old 21-03-2020, 13:00   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Bite the bullet. Buy the right glue and do it right.
Good luck.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 15:23   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
Bite the bullet. Buy the right glue and do it right.
Good luck.
And which glue is that?
Old 21-03-2020, 20:40   #10

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

You can take off the barnacles using a blunt scraper, and remove the residue with vinegar. The glue I use is SC 2000--it is a two pack glue of excellent quality--but it is NOT cheap.

If you want cheap--use polyurethane or neoprene contact cement and lotsa luck.

I would not consider anything other than SC 2000. But that is me. As for using anti fouling, you can use that on a dinghy if you like--I use it whenever I am likely to be in port for a long time--and I use it over a chlorinated rubber barrier coat. If you use anti fouling, it will rub off and get all over anything it touches when the dinghy is hoisted aboard. It is sometimes easier to take a scrubbing brush and some vinegar, go ashore on a beach, invert the dinghy and give it a fortnightly scrub.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 14:22   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

I am inexperienced on this issue, so help me out. Barnacles on a dinghy? How does that happen? Surely, we don't leave the dinghy in the water long enough, with no intermittent wipe downs that barnacles start to grow? This is the Chesapeake, so we are not talking about year round dinghy usage. Does the dinghy not get taken up, or at least wiped down? It would seem a high impact resolution to have to scrape, clean and then use chemicals to further clean a dinghy which could been taken up? Would love to be informed.
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 14:42   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Tide View Post
I am inexperienced on this issue, so help me out. Barnacles on a dinghy? How does that happen? Surely, we don't leave the dinghy in the water long enough, with no intermittent wipe downs that barnacles start to grow? This is the Chesapeake, so we are not talking about year round dinghy usage. Does the dinghy not get taken up, or at least wiped down? It would seem a high impact resolution to have to scrape, clean and then use chemicals to further clean a dinghy which could been taken up? Would love to be informed.
Bought from the guy in slip across from me. He had it sitting in the water for a year, plus he had two others, one was his personal use and he kept clean. The other two he just didn't know what to do with them so just let them be. I got this Achilles from him and since then I think he sold to other one, so now he just has the one he uses. The one I bought is still in good condition. But I turned it over on the finger dock next to me gave it a pressure wash and let the sun kill most of what was on it. Now all that's left is little barnacles stuck all over it.
Old 22-03-2020, 15:28   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

Ah, makes sense. Thanks!
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2020, 17:02   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

3m weatherstrip adhesive. Available at autoparts stores in auto body area. Metal tube in paper box.

Works better than any 1 part glue I've used. Also, Glex epoxy is good especially of not really rolling it that tight.
Old 24-03-2020, 16:16   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Bostik 2401 is a 2 part glue and keeps a long time and is used in the manufacture of hypalon dinghies !

Tags
dinghy