Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2011, 12:07   #31

Boat: Aries 32
Re: Dinghy Outboard Motor Recommendation ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not sure what the source of your information is but the oil mixed with gasoline in 2 strokes is only for lubrication...not cooling. Please notice there is no crankcase oil in a 2 stroke where as there is in a 4 stroke.
It isn't the oil mixture that's used for cooling, it's the fuel itself. Try leaning one out and running it hard.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 13:06   #32

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind
Re: Dinghy Outboard motor recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Again it's horses for courses. If you're on a mooring and need to just go back and forth to the boat rowing might be fine. For the type of cruising I do your dinghy is everything. I have seen folks hurrying back to their boat when a squall comes through, rowing would not do it. Now many folks do row or paddle, more and more cruisers have kayaks now. They're just for paddling around and not for serious transportation.

Try rowing in this. While this was going on a couple was tearing through the anchorage in their dink trying to catch their their big boat.
Well that means that they were not anchored properly. I am with Rebel Heart here. We row our dink most of the time. I also carry an old British Seagull for when conditions turn really nasty. Or for when I need to push my boat around. No one dare steal the thing. Who wants to steal an outboard that won't start without an hours work?

Brad
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 13:15   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustymc View Post
It isn't the oil mixture that's used for cooling, it's the fuel itself. Try leaning one out and running it hard.

Oh...That makes soooo much more sense...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 13:17   #34

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

8 1/2' Zodiac @ 79 lbs. with a 38 lb. Merc 4HP 2 stroke. With two people it'll do an honest 6 on the GPS. Did I mention I have a bad back and the motor weighs 38 lbs? Two strokes rule!
Old 26-10-2011, 14:02   #35

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore

If you read the specs, the weight of the Tohatsu/Nissan 4HP-4-stroke is the same as the 6HP model. Same displacement, too. Only difference is the carb. Same thing applies to the 8HP and the 9.8HP - they're both the the same weight and displacement as well.

Might as well get the most HP for the pound by getting the 6HP or the 9.8HP rather than the less-powerful versions. If it's too much HP for your dink, just don't run it wide open unless you're loaded down.

Most states in the US no longer sell new 2-strokes as they don't meet the pollution laws.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 15:31   #36
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

I had to purchase a new motor this year. I looked at all the 4 stroke's and was really leaning towards the e-tec. My mechanic ended up talking me out of it for this reason. With most 4 strokes, they rely on a computer board in some way. With the Honda and e-tec, in order to trouble shoot the motor you have to hook up a computer to the board. So, only dealers can typically service them. This isn't as much of a problem in the US, but if cruising in remote locations, it mean's the motors toast.

With a two stroke, about the only thing that ever needs to be cleaned is the carberator. Almost anybody can do that. So, I went with a two stoke.

For history though, for 10 years I have had a 15 hp Honda 4 stroke I use on a 14' fishing boat. Every year at the beginning of the season I have to choke it and pull the starter cord twice. It then will start with one pull for the rest of the season and has never failed to start. My 30 hp Yamaha 2 stroke, which is brand new, can take 5+ pulls to start it, even if it was run an hour ago.

The oil/gas mixture ratio is now 100:1 - So they don't use much oil anymore.

So, for the OP, if your going way off the beaten path, get a 2 stroke IMO.
Old 26-10-2011, 16:24   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

I have a yammie 4stroke 6 hp. Its a little heavy at 26 kilo. But its ultra reliable and has both inbuilt tank and external fuel tank connection. Being able to use inbuilt tank means most of the time I don't have to worry about the 10 kilo weight of a fuel tank so total load is a little reduced.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 16:58   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
With most 4 strokes, they rely on a computer board in some way. With the Honda and e-tec, in order to trouble shoot the motor you have to hook up a computer to the board. So, only dealers can typically service them. This isn't as much of a problem in the US, but if cruising in remote locations, it mean's the motors toast.

With a two stroke, about the only thing that ever needs to be cleaned is the carburetor. Almost anybody can do that. So, I went with a two stoke.
The only CPU board on an outboard is for electronic ignition which both 2 and 4 stroke have. Both are carburated, so that is not hooked up to anything electronic. Three things that make an engine run is 1)Spark, 2)fuel mixture and 3) Compression. Unless the e-tec had fuel injection, that person steered you wrong.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 26-10-2011, 17:00   #39

Boat: H36
I have a 3 year old 4HP Yamaha I am trading for a two stroke. The carburetor is real easy to gum up. I have had a constant problem of no starting, hard to start or really fast idle. The low speed jet is so small it is not cleanable. At a 100:1oil mix I will less oil with a two stroke. What ever you do don't buy this motor. You can email and I will tell you of the rest deficiencies.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 17:13   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '79 Pearson- 365 ketch,# 264 hull
We have an old Nissan 2.5 two cycle, I don't trust it anymore but will keep it as a back up. I'm currently looking at a brand new Honda 2hp 4 cycle . It weighs 27 lbs. Which is no problem, is air cooled which sounds awesome to me . It also has it's own contained gas tank which I like. Just wondering what the masses have to say about them?
Orrjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 17:22   #41

Boat: H36
Rebuild the Nissan. You will find the Honda noisy and very fast at Idle if you have a easily driven dink. A friend had a 16' day sailor that went so fast he could not dock with it.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 17:48   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrjames View Post
We have an old Nissan 2.5 two cycle, I don't trust it anymore but will keep it as a back up. I'm currently looking at a brand new Honda 2hp 4 cycle . It weighs 27 lbs. Which is no problem, is air cooled which sounds awesome to me . It also has it's own contained gas tank which I like. Just wondering what the masses have to say about them?
I had a Honda 2hp. on my hard dinghy for years. Always started 1st or 2nd pull and ran religiously. I finally sold it with my Tartan at the time. It was quiet and sipped fuel.
Another point to make here is the formula of gas has changed (in this area anyways) and if it sits too long varnishes up the jets. A product called "Sea Foam" stabilizes the fuel to prevent that. I am always amazed how someone will have a problem with jets after letting the engine sit and sit then condemn the manufacture.
Old 26-10-2011, 17:57   #43

Boat: Sabre 28

": To move a given boat with a given mass a given distance takes a really similar amount of fuel whether you're using 2 or 4 stroke technology, or something is very wrong."

To move a given boat with a given mass a given distance takes a really similar amount of power.....

... how efficiently you make that power alters how much fuel you burn. A two stroke doesn't scavenge the exhaust as well which reduces efficiency, literally looses a little bit of raw fuel out the exhaust (reduces efficency) and typically runs at a lower compression ratio then a 4 stroke which also reduces efficiency. So for the same amount of fuel you end up with less power output. So to be able to make that similar amount of power you end up having to burn more fuel.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 21:24   #44

Finally...Someone that can put it into words...Thank you...
Old 27-10-2011, 05:48   #45

Boat: Mariner 40/IP 37-30

I certainly appreciate the answers and observations. We do want a 15 hp engine as there are many times when we want to get up and go. Agreed that much of the time we are at slow or no wake speed, but getting from GeorgeTown over to Stocking Island is very nice to do at speed. Also from Indian Key to Everglades City in the wind is nice to get up on plan and move on.
But, I may be stuck with a 4cycle if I want a new engine. It does appear that they are around 30lbs heavier than the 2 cycle and that is my biggest issue. I do have a lot of weight hanging on the aft of my Island Packet.

Thanks again,
Wm
Wmiii is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor, outboard