Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2022, 10:46   #1

Dinghy motor: gas or electric?

Need a motor for a small 4-person RIB. Any thoughts in electric motors: pros/cons vs. gas, recommended brand/model, etc.? I sail in Puget Sound, don’t anticipate long dinghy runs.
acowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:07   #2

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Dinghy motor: gas or electric?

I you run out of battery power, you can't run to town for a kilowatt of electricity
We were in norcal a few years ago when PG&E shut off all power to everything north of San Francisco for a week, Teslas didn't go very far.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:51   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I ponder the same question but have a perfect running 20 year old Yamaha.
Since a well cared for quality maker can last years it may be too soon to jump on electric and a great motor will have no gas for it before it expires. I think I’d buy used mercury or Yamaha leaning towards Yamaha.
I have a 20Amp battery in the Dinghy I could fit 2 100Amp batteries in the bow locker and the equal to a 9.9 with better range than the average Dinghy tank. Weigh less too or near the same.
The batteries are better buy the day but manufactures are not addressing the motors save a few.
The Merc with the dedicated battery is like every Chineses made rechargeable item a disappointment.
Tesla made a major breakthrough in motor heat and power just before their 3 series came out. The magnet chevrons are deeper in the armature is the simple explanation.
So waiting for a better one yes.
The Rand Picnic has a great outboard range and inboard in their new bigger yachts. Delhi has some dual prop sea drive ....
Who knows it’s happening fast
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 08:33   #4

Boat: Neel 43

If you are happy with the 1,5kW that a Toqueedo provides...for any larger electrical engine you need an external battery to be carried in the boat. And of course, the ability to charge it.
A used 2/4 stroke engine - if technical OK - is probably the cheaper and more sustainable solution
COOGOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 11:27   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Depends on whether you need to plane or not.

If you need to plane then gas motor. Unless you only need to plane for about 5nm, then it’s doable for a reasonable price using an Elco outboard

If you are content to plod along, electric motor.
Get a MinnKota 45-50lb thrust Riptide, with DigitalMaximizer (better efficiency at lower thrust settings), replace the stock prop with a Kipawa Prop for slightly higher top speed or better efficiency at same speed.

50-100Ahr LFP battery.

Mount a 70-100W panel over the motor at the stern. Anecdotally people with this setup have indicated they never need to plug the dinghy into the mothership.

At 2kt you may have almost unlimited range.

At 3.5-4.0 probably 10nm or so max range.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2022, 12:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Depends on whether you need to plane or not.

If you need to plane then gas motor. Unless you only need to plane for about 5nm, then it’s doable for a reasonable price using an Elco outboard

If you are content to plod along, electric motor.
Get a MinnKota 45-50lb thrust Riptide, with DigitalMaximizer (better efficiency at lower thrust settings), replace the stock prop with a Kipawa Prop for slightly higher top speed or better efficiency at same speed.

50-100Ahr LFP battery.

Mount a 70-100W panel over the motor at the stern. Anecdotally people with this setup have indicated they never need to plug the dinghy into the mothership.

At 2kt you may have almost unlimited range.

At 3.5-4.0 probably 10nm or so max range.
Yep, pick planing or non-planing:
- Non-planing: Get your basic trolling motor and a deep cycle battery. I probably wouldn't muck about with lithium. Then just a matter of charging off the mother ships 12v system.
- Planing: Get a gas motor 8hp min but I would go 15hp, so it's not marginal getting on plane with a heavier load.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, electric, motor