Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2020, 01:06   #16

Boat: TRT 1200 GT
Re: Dinghy: Hypalon vs Chaps

Thank you all for the insights.

The clear takeaway is: Chaps are a must for longetivity.

However from most comments it seems to me, that once you have the UV problems of PVC solved by using chaps, the PVC dinghy even has a few advantages (welded vs glued seams) that might give it a longer life.

Of course this assumes we are comparing the same model from the same vendor and not a cheaply made PVC dinghy with a quality Hypalon product.

FYI I am looking at dinghys from 3D Tender. They offer the 3.1m Ultralight for 2040 EUR in PVC (welded seams) and for 2850 EUR in Hypalon. Chaps are 439 EUR. https://www.3dtender.com/ALUMINIUM-S...47-64-0-0.html
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 01:50   #17

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

I had all the same costly experiences and fed up with inflatables. I bought and secondhand Ocean Craft looks like an inflatable but build from Aluminum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
What Mikado said. Hypalon is the best material for an inflatable--but not all makers using it are equal. Far and away the best for long life used to be the Japanese Achilles. In Australia Swift are about the best of the Hypalon inflatables.

I have had an unused inflatable made from PVC fail on its first use--after being stored below decks for two years as a spare. The glue was the failure not the material. The seams simply fell apart.

I had a top brand Zodiac PVC inflatable that was never worth a damn. Seams simply separated--Now I use a Polycraft and forget about deflating. It is almost as stable as the best of the inflatables for stability--the Zodiac I used to use was excellent in that respect.

The Zodiac was heavy and cumbersome out of the water, but even so I have seen that Zodiac twelve feet above the deck flying like a kite in a strong wind--so whatever you have--always bowse it down well using good webbing resistant to UV degradation.

These days the Polycraft gets hung up on a rack, stored lashed down on deck in a cradle or stays ashore in my shed in a launching marine trailer. It will take a 15 hp outboard, but I never used more than 3.5. Inflatables are not easy to row well. The Polycraft rows very well.

Another option to consider are Folboats. Very few have a bad word to say about them, and for their size and carrying capacity are light and strong and store flat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sko Name on Bow (24) XMAS.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	444.9 KB
ID:	210457   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6101.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	423.8 KB
ID:	210458  

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:04   #18

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

we have a 15yr old hypalon RIB by swift which is still going strong. that having been said, it will likely last another 3-4yrs and this would be another 10 or so if it had chaps.

so say 18 yrs bare or 25 yrs with chaps. just do the sums based upon cost of chaps.

cheers,
chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:20   #19

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
Thank you all for the insights.

The clear takeaway is: Chaps are a must for longetivity.

However from most comments it seems to me, that once you have the UV problems of PVC solved by using chaps, the PVC dinghy even has a few advantages (welded vs glued seams) that might give it a longer life.

Of course this assumes we are comparing the same model from the same vendor and not a cheaply made PVC dinghy with a quality Hypalon product.

FYI I am looking at dinghys from 3D Tender. They offer the 3.1m Ultralight for 2040 EUR in PVC (welded seams) and for 2850 EUR in Hypalon. Chaps are 439 EUR. https://www.3dtender.com/ALUMINIUM-S...47-64-0-0.html
I could be entirely mistaken, but that seems like a huge bargain.

Getting chaps custom made would - in all likelihood - not be as well fit, and also likely would cost double that. Even just material and copying the old set, at an affordable canvas guy's shop (he does all our miscellaneous canvas repairs), cost us $800 recently, and the original was closer to a grand (different shop, had to design it)...

The aluminum hull is also awesome; it makes a huge difference in the weight...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:30   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I had all the same costly experiences and fed up with inflatables. I bought and secondhand Ocean Craft looks like an inflatable but build from Aluminum.
In the US, Boss Boats (Rigid Boats) makes a hard inflatable look-alike; the marina where we're currently moored has two at the moment.

We also have 4 Porta-Bote - similar to Folboats, I think - here.

Apologies for thread drift, and back on topic, are those bump pads I see on the hull pontoons? Until I enlarged the pics, I couldn't figure out what they might have been...

The Boss Boats have a rub rail which apparently is sufficient...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:03   #21

I have cruised full time since 2004. Have had two used hypalon dinghys, both Aqua pro. I hate chaps cause they’re heavy, hot, expensive and give u a wet bum. I have always just painted my dinghy topsides with cheap white latex paint cause it’s flexible and doesn’t crack and keeps the UV off. Works great, especially in the tropics where I sail. Keeps the hull cool also. One or two quick coats every year when needed. Evan in the Philippines.
CATJAVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:29   #22
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Other than cost, what are the advantages of PVC? I only have to add air once a season to my Hypalon AB.
But the cost of PVC is a HUGE $$$$$ advantage. Haven't added air to my PVC dinghy in at least 3 months, but even if I do it isn't a big deal. I bought a cheap $72 sewing machine and some Sunbrella and mad some chapps for less than $300.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:29   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

One reason for chaps is wear from abrasion and protection from punctures. If you use your dinghy daily as I do, your butt is wearing the spot where you sit and the dink vulnerable to all kinds of threats at dinghy docks and other tie-ups. Chaps offer more than just sun protection.

I've had PVC and hypalon and it seems that hypalon holds air better for whatever reason. My current AB has only needed a top-up once in two years.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:32   #24

Personally I've never seen PVC do well in the tropics. Those of you further north in Florida and Bahamas can probably get some decent results keeping them covered. If I were cruising in my home turf of PNW then I'd probably by PVC as UV is less and less a problem.
Hypolon is worth the price in the tropics.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:49   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
But the cost of PVC is a HUGE $$$$$ advantage. Haven't added air to my PVC dinghy in at least 3 months, but even if I do it isn't a big deal. I bought a cheap $72 sewing machine and some Sunbrella and mad some chapps for less than $300.
It is, and yes I know my Zodiac failed due to the glue, I even said that in my post.
However be careful about build quality of any dink you buy, as I said Hypalon is not a magic bullet as the Zodiac fell apart in three years, a good quality PVC dinghy would have I’m sure outlasted the Zodiac Cadet.

The rub rails turned to goo in about two years about the time bits started falling off, like the oar locks etc.
So buy a good quality one, with a good reputation, be wary or a good price.
Now what surprised me was that in my younger days when I guess Zodiacs were French made, they were excellent boats, I expected them to be at least a good boat.

So my point is there seems to be a belief that so long as it’s Hypalon, it’s going to last, and that may not be the case, dinghies can die from other causes.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:22   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It is, and yes I know my Zodiac failed due to the glue, I even said that in my post.
However be careful about build quality of any dink you buy, as I said Hypalon is not a magic bullet as the Zodiac fell apart in three years, a good quality PVC dinghy would have I’m sure outlasted the Zodiac Cadet.

The rub rails turned to goo in about two years about the time bits started falling off, like the oar locks etc.
So buy a good quality one, with a good reputation, be wary or a good price.
Now what surprised me was that in my younger days when I guess Zodiacs were French made, they were excellent boats, I expected them to be at least a good boat.

So my point is there seems to be a belief that so long as it’s Hypalon, it’s going to last, and that may not be the case, dinghies can die from other causes.
Good advice..Zodiac has had a less than wonderful name for many years. Caribe, AB,Achilles are go to brands with a very good reputation..there are others such as Hifield, AquaPro etc. that are taking a small part of the market. In the Caribbean you will see more Caribe and AB dinks that all other brands put together.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:21   #27

Boat: Taswell 43

Following. Our custom-made hypalon, made in the Philippines, is now 10 yrs old, and the tropic sun she's always been in (w/o chaps) is starting to tell its tale. The handholds, the hand grips, the oarlocks, the rubrail,,,,and some of the seams are either separating or starting to show signs of failing. We'll need a new one in a year or so.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:21   #28

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Here's another way to think about it... I used to have an Achilles Hypalon LEX-77. It was awesome! Expensive too... My concern is someone stealing it... For the same price I can buy three cheap dinghies, one every few years... I am tempted to get another Achilles, but the cheap route is tempting too... Lots of things can happen that make you lose your dinghy... Do I want to be out $1200 or $400? Will three $400 dinks last as long as one hypalon one?
Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Here's another way to think about it... I used to have an Achilles Hypalon LEX-77. It was awesome! Expensive too... My concern is someone stealing it... For the same price I can buy three cheap dinghies, one every few years... I am tempted to get another Achilles, but the cheap route is tempting too... Lots of things can happen that make you lose your dinghy... Do I want to be out $1200 or $400? Will three $400 dinks last as long as one hypalon one?
Gil.
For 400 bucks for a top notch PVC you could even talk me into it but where can you buy a new RIB for that?
Even your 1400 bucks doesn't seem anywhere near enough to buy a high quality Hypolon RIB??
Old 12-03-2020, 08:04   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

10’6” AB aluminum lammina runs about $6,000 I believe
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy