Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What Horsepower outboard do you have ?
3hp 22 15.60%
4hp 13 9.22%
5hp 11 7.80%
6hp 7 4.96%
8hp 12 8.51%
9hp 7 4.96%
10hp 12 8.51%
15hp 35 24.82%
2 HP 5 3.55%
18 HP 3 2.13%
Other ... 20 14.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2008, 09:40   #16
cruiser

I assume inflatable.... If you have an 11 foot inflatable you can get on plane with four people using a 10hp. With more than four (medium sized) people, a 15hp will do.

Bigger is not neccesarily better as you will need to hande the motor a lot. But I would not get anything smaller than 10hp. If you cannot get on plane the engine is too small!
Topazken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 09:43   #17

Boat: Endeavour E40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Can I ask...don't most cruisers have transom davits so they don't have to lug an engine on and off a dink each time they use it?

I have custom made (4" aluminum) davits AND hoist..........

but even with that, my 15hp YAMAHA is BEAR to handle.......
If anybody wants to buy my 1999 CARIBE 10' RIB AND 15hp YAMAHA for $2,900.00 just let me know!

I want to buy a "lite" DINGHY and 4 or 5hp outboard.
It's currently in Tampa Bay, HERNIAS and HERNIATED DISCS rule !!!!!

Like I said, I'm in NO hurry, and I don't want to spill my "coconut refreshment"!
AUTHOR: My dear ole MOM
High Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 09:49   #18

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Can I ask...don't most cruisers have transom davits so they don't have to lug an engine on and off a dink each time they use it?
Absolutely not. I would say that less that 1% of cruising yachts carry a dinghy on davits unless they are "Short distance" cruising yachts.

Carrying a dinghy on davits on a vessel less than 50' can be very hazordous on long ocean passages.

Being able to get a tender on plane is far from a priority for most people, in most situations. Most of the time, the tender is used in a crowded anchorage. I sure wouldn't want my neighbors going by, on plane.

An OB capable of planing the tender is only needed if you are going exploring for a mile or more away from the yacht. IMHO, the risk far outways the reward on having a big OB.

Also, in most areas, OB theft is far greater with OBs over 10HP.
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:24   #19

Boat: Tayana 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
Absolutely not. I would say that less that 1% of cruising yachts carry a dinghy on davits unless they are "Short distance" cruising yachts.
Maybe Mexico is full of "Short Distance" cruising yachts, but a quick glance around me here reveals more like 30% using davits. The only boats that I see that are not using davits predominately are cruising sailboats of less than 40 feet. If you were to look at only vessels of 40' or greater then I would say it is well over 50% are using davits.

We have davits aboard Samadhi V.

S/V Samadhi V - Tayana 55
Currently cruising in Mexico

https://www.samadhiv.org/
Samadhi V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:31   #20

We use an 11 foot Avon with a 25 Johnson. The engine is a beast, 3 cylinder 2 stroke, oil injected, bored from the 50Hp block. The engine weighs about 250#. We water ski from the dink with 4-6 people in the boat easily. Because the whole setup is so heavy we will change down to a 15 Yamaha 2 stroke.

No davits we lift the dink and set it on the foredeck between the mast and inner forestay.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:45   #21

250 lbs for a 25 horsepower motor?? Our 25 horsepower weighs 112 lbs!

Wow.

Old 14-01-2008, 10:57   #22

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
If I had my best option, I would choose exactly what phil has AB aluminum RIB with 25 HP engine, carrying the engine forward. Regarding necessity of planing, yeah, you'll really really want it. Most cities are surrounded by mooring fields for any close in anchorages, so if you want to be able to anchor out for free, a powerful engine is getting necessary. And exploring remote locations is what cruising is all about. 90% of your exploration is by dingy. I'd say in Georgetown, Bahamas probably 80% of the motors were 15 HP yamaha engines.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 10:58   #23

If you saw it you would believe. It the size of a 50 and it was made from a 100 V6 that was cut in half, (3 cyl, 3 carbs). The only difference between this and a 50 is the bore diameter. It is a much larger engine then the current 4 stroke 25 hp that Evinrude makes.

Funny thing, the engine dealer wants it badly, they only made them for a couple years and I guess it is a sought after engine. It is a beast!

When on the dinghy we have about 1~2 inches of transom freeboard and usually take a few gallons over the back end when stopping quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoken View Post
250 lbs for a 25 horsepower motor?? Our 25 horsepower weighs 112 lbs!

Wow.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 11:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
Most cities are surrounded by mooring fields for any close in anchorages, so if you want to be able to anchor out for free, a powerful engine is getting necessary. And exploring remote locations is what cruising is all about.
We bought our dinghy and motor in Puerto Vallarta and drove it across Banderas Bay to Marina La Cruz... that was about a 12 mile trip, we made it in a little over an hour (we were taking it very easy on the new motor which is running at 25 to 1). At the end of 12 miles we weren't even wet, even with a 15 knot headwind and significant afternoon chop on the bay.

We love exploring in the dinghy, we can take it places we wouldn't consider taking Samadhi. We are able to anchor farther out when necessary (ala Cabo San lucas) and we are able to reach fishing / diving / etc much more easily.

We also carry a Fatty Knees sailing dinghy which is great for rowing and sailing, but not the best for carrying loads of stuff and lots of people.

Old 14-01-2008, 11:24   #25

Boat: Tartan 4100
Talking

I go lite......8' home-built dink with 2.5 hp four-stroke Yamaha....on davits.
When we go on passages, the dink goes on the foredeck and the outboard is on a bracket. I thought long and hard and really decided that it is best to have an engine that you can lift with one hand. The ridgid dink is lite in the water and powers with ease and rows straight as an arrow
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 14:08   #26
cruiser

If we are talking about serious cruising, not a trip to Catalina Island, you want a large inflatable with a large enough dinghy to get on plane.

It is not just a way to get to the dock. It carries all of your supplies, it takes you to that great dive spot out on the reef and it can be a tug or tow boat when needed.

There are few things more pathetic than seeing some poor couple trying to fight their way through the chop with a 2hp toy.
Old 14-01-2008, 15:09   #27

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazken View Post
If we are talking about serious cruising, not a trip to Catalina Island, you want a large inflatable with a large enough dinghy to get on plane.

It is not just a way to get to the dock. It carries all of your supplies, it takes you to that great dive spot out on the reef and it can be a tug or tow boat when needed.

There are few things more pathetic than seeing some poor couple trying to fight their way through the chop with a 2hp toy.
Please send money so I can go cruising properly. Or should I just stay home? Many people on this list have items that are a priority to them and will talk about why it is important to them. That's fine, but I'm going to need a 100 foot boat and a few more millions if everyone's priority is a necessity to cruise. Maybe I'm reading your posts wrong, but the tone of your posts as I see it is "My way is the only way."

There may be places or anchorages that I'll have to skip with my choices, but a: people have cruised for years without outboards, b: I'm not rich, many choices I make will not be opitimal.

John
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 15:17   #28
cruiser

I think you are reading my posts wrong... or maybe I am writing them wrong. This thread was started by a survey asking how many horsepower your dinghy motor should be. It was not about having a motor or not.

My last post was in response to another who said that getting on plane was "hazardous" and not needed.

If you are going to pay money for an outboard, why not get one that is big enough to do all you need it to do. I never said you have to have an outboard. I cruised all of the way from Venezuela to San Diego without one after mine was stolen.
Old 14-01-2008, 16:04   #29

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topazken View Post
I think you are reading my posts wrong... or maybe I am writing them wrong. This thread was started by a survey asking how many horsepower your dinghy motor should be. It was not about having a motor or not.

My last post was in response to another who said that getting on plane was "hazardous" and not needed.

If you are going to pay money for an outboard, why not get one that is big enough to do all you need it to do. I never said you have to have an outboard. I cruised all of the way from Venezuela to San Diego without one after mine was stolen.
Ken,

Where did you find such a post??? I must have missed it.........
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 17:27   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41
My crusing was done 20 years ago in Mexico and the South Pac but nobody had anything over 10 hp then. People sailed to an anchorage and then rowed or put their little put put engines on and went to shore. I guess things change but the sound of a dinghy on a plane isn't very appealing. Neither is a put put but they are more tolerable. I have a 10hp engine and a 4hp. I haven't used the 10hp in a long time. It'd be nice to plane but far from a neccessity(sp?).

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote