Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2016, 13:35   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
re: Dinghy Disappointment :(/Dinghy Joy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Thank you for insulting me and my boat, I'll remember it

Just to check on how well your boat is thought out, I would appreciate a picture of it with the dinghy in stored position. I am including mine below; pls. note the solar panels on top as well as satellite and other antennas:
Well, I was teasing you a little -- hope you caught that. I think you know pretty well how much I admire your boat.

Of course if you want solar and all that, you've got no choice but build a junk pile ( ) on your after deck.

Your boat is 11' longer than mine, so can better afford it anyway -- it's proportionally smaller in relation to the rest of the boat. It would be horrible on my boat.

We had a "junk pile" on the previous boat, which was more tropical (kept in Florida) -- arch, davits, solar panels, engine hoist, etc. We never sailed in anything over F6 so it was ok.

But up here with all the heavy weather sailing we do, and plans to go further and further North, I just don't want all the windage, hence no solar, now minimal davits which won't be used in heavy weather or longer passages. I miss the solar, but everything is a compromise.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2016, 19:36   #32
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Talking re: Dinghy Disappointment :(/Dinghy Joy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In my opinion, there are two really good ways to store a dinghy, and only two I know of -- a dinghy garage (if you look at the way it's done on the HR64 -- that's what my next boat will have), or foredeck. On big enough boats you can have a kind of well in the foredeck a RIB can fit down into -- that's very cool and even better than a dinghy garage, but I think probably not practical on a boat less than 70' or so.

There is a third, but you would have to join the dark side
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	modifiee 1-9947.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	122777  
Old 17-04-2016, 21:49   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, I was teasing you a little -- hope you caught that. I think you know pretty well how much I admire your boat.
I know that and you know me too good

Still waiting for that picture though, and you should trade that dinghy and outboard
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 01:41   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Yes, I actually agree! With a catamaran, davits work much better for a few different reasons including no heeling, and also because the lifted dinghy fits between the hulls rather than sticking out behind the transom.

The downside though is weight and trim which is an issue with cats -- so the dinghy can't be too heavy.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2016, 01:57   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I know that and you know me too good

Still waiting for that picture though, and you should trade that dinghy and outboard
I'll snap one when I get a chance.

My bad feelings about the new dinghy have evaporated, however. It fits so nicely in the small davits, so securely! Now I know I'm going to be tempted to never deflate and store it -- human nature. But at least I can.

With the motor off, it's only 43 kg. Only problem is windage.

My next boat, which will be custom made, and which will be metal (I've already written 100 pages of specifications for it, and with major inspiration from the Sundeer), will follow the Dashew idea of having a narrow beam and light, empty ends, with watertight bulkheads separating them from the passenger space. So the dinghy garage (actually, a very large lazarette with a way to pull the dinghy in through an opening transom) will be aft of the walk-in engine room, and will look something like what the HR 64 has. This limits the size of the dinghy, but I think I will be able to get in something like my old one, 11' or so, maybe with inboard jet propulsion. This will not be like the dinghy garages on Hanses, which are just narrow spaces under the cockpit floor, but a large lazarette area with access from above as well as through the transom, and with lots of deck storage besides space for the dink.

The logic is that unless you carry the dinghy on the foredeck, it's going to be sticking out causing windage and making LOA in any case. It's far better to have it enclosed and adding to your waterline length.

I have a good friend whose main dinghy (out of 3) is a 24' RIB with pilot house and inboard diesel. We've had some fun on that.

He just carries it on deck on chocks. Of course it's a 60 meter motor vessel, so he doesn't have the storage problems we do
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2016, 04:56   #36
cruiser

The brand new four stroke 6hp Tohatsu purchased for our previous boat came with very specific directions for the initial "break in" period. One requirement was to NOT use full throttle for the first ten hours or so.... as I recall.

Our current outboard is a fourteen year old 15hp two stroke Mercury.

Here's the Tohatsu break in directions:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	122787  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 05:02   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The brand new four stroke 6.5hp Tohatsu purchased for our previous boat came with very specific directions for the initial "break in" period. One requirement was to NOT use full throttle for the first five hours or so.... as I recall.

Our current outboard is a fourteen year old 15hp two stroke Mercury.
Mine was not new. Nearly so, but certainly broken in.

In any case, the problem is now identified and solved and all is well. I like this motor. It's simple and very light, light like a two stroke. Has a belt driven (!) overhead cam. Like the Italians like. I'll live with it for a while and see.

Is your Mercury the American one, or the Tohatsu stencil brand?

My previous dinghy had a 15 year old Mariner 25hp two stroke, American made, and what a great engine!!! Smooth and very responsive and powerful, always started with half a pull (the electric start was completely superfluous). Totally reliable -- in seven years of hard use in my ownership, not one significant problem, and certainly never a problem which disabled it. I wish every device or system on the boat were like that.

It was starting to rust apart, however, so definitely time to sell it on.

It only had two drawbacks: drank huge amounts of fuel, and too large and heavy to take off the dinghy, meaning it had to be carried in the davits.
Walt Whitman
Old 18-04-2016, 05:08   #38
cruiser

The two stroke Mercury is a 2002 model.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 06:08   #39

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Custom boat (not mine). The dinghy garage is one of many innovative features designed by the owner.

Steve

Panope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 06:10   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

My old Mariner 25 HP, was actually I believe a Yamaha, but it was on OLD one, late 80's.
One of the better running two strokes, one I got the carb dialed in

The following is from "The Legend of Mercury" by Jeffrey L. Rodengen (1998), starting at page 158:

In 1972 (a year that proved extraordinarily busy for Mercury), Brunswick bought a minority interest in Yamaha manufacturing. The plan was to diversity distribution in the United States by adding another brand of outboard engine to cover the market. At the time, Mercury and OMC (with Johnson and Evinrude products) each maintained about 30 percent of the market. The second-brand strategy was meant to give Mercury a second bite of the same apple, even though Mariner would in effect be competing against Mercury engines.

According to the terms of the agreement, Mercury provided Yamaha with second-generation blueprints and taught the japanese manufacturer how to build quality engines, including methods to reduce corrosion (and other metallurgical technology). Under the joint venture, Yamaha and Brunswick owned equal shares in a Yamaha subsidiary, Sanshin Kogyo Company, manufacturer of outboard motors. The subsidiary sold all its outboards to Yamaha, which in turn sold the motors to Brunswick, which then marketed the motors under the Mariner name. For Brunswick, the new outboard was called Mariner to offer, according to Reichert, "an image different than that of the high performance image of Mercury, using the idea of the "ancient mariner" of reliability and durability.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 06:38   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The problem with the dinghy garage will be that a good dinghy does not fit in. The perception of what a good dinghy is will change drastically when moving from Europe to the tropics. We have huge graveyards of either small or any size pvc dinghies here. The 10' / 3.1m hypalon RIB with big tubes with 15hp 2-stroke is the right size for starters.

Thei ghies that I see in the sailboat garage have a bow that digs into every wave of 1' and up.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:42   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Why is there a flotation collar on the engine, looks like a ski belt.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:43   #43

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
The problem with the dinghy garage will be that a good dinghy does not fit in. The perception of what a good dinghy is will change drastically when moving from Europe to the tropics. We have huge graveyards of either small or any size pvc dinghies here. The 10' / 3.1m hypalon RIB with big tubes with 15hp 2-stroke is the right size for starters.

Thei ghies that I see in the sailboat garage have a bow that digs into every wave of 1' and up.
That's true with most dinghy garages but there's a solution. A nesting dinghy in a garage can double the length of the dinghy.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 07:47   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mine is I believe the perfect size for us, 3.1 Meter and 20 HP.
But I would like to find a lighter, possibly better made one, we do want a flat floor though so that means double hull.
Lockable locker isn't as useful as I once thought it would be, and if you have a double hull, you need to have a way to drain the space between the hulls, I had to add that, only partially successful I believe.
Old 18-04-2016, 07:50   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Yes, I understand that different cruising areas demand different dinghies, and I think I've experienced it all myself.

I've had different dinghies, from 9' AB to 11' Avon to several others, all Hypalon (never PVC!), soft floor, air floor, RIBs, with different motors ranging from 2.3 HP to 25 HP.

As always, it's all a painful compromise, and I don't know what the naval architect will be able to achieve in the event, but my design brief asks to try at least to fit in an 11' RIB, definitely wheel steered, either something like my old one, or something like the Avon Seasport 330 Jet. The jet tender is no good for pulling up on a beach, and will have less carrying capacity than the more truck-like normal RIB, but with 100 horsepower (!!) is an entirely different ball game for range and capability to explore.

If that can't be made to fit, then the next size smaller Avon heavy RIB, like the 315 Rover, which can carry over 1000 pounds.

Or maybe an aluminum hull RIB which would be lighter.
Walt Whitman

Tags
dinghy, men