Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 07:53   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
re: Dinghy Disappointment :(/Dinghy Joy :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mine is I believe the perfect size for us, 3.1 Meter and 20 HP.
But I would like to find a lighter, possibly better made one, we do want a flat floor though so that means double hull.
Lockable locker isn't as useful as I once thought it would be, and if you have a double hull, you need to have a way to drain the space between the hulls, I had to add that, only partially successful I believe.
That's the same as my old one! How in the world do you carry that on a 38' boat? I can't even imagine.

Our old boat was approximately the same size; we carried a 9' soft floor dinghy in Garhauer davits under an arch ("junk pile" ), with double purchase tackle. We always took the engine off.

We started with 15 horsepower (Mercury 2 stroke) but eventually downsized to 5 horsepower as the soft floor dinghy wouldn't really plane any way.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 08:33   #47
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Why is there a flotation collar on the engine, looks like a ski belt.
When you pull between the hulls to attach the harness to lift up the dingy it will rock back and forth. Without padding the engine bangs into the hull. I saw another cat in my old marina with this setup and it works really well. For years I had a sunbrella cover that went over the whole engine so it looked really good.

I'm actually changing my whole dingy setup right now. We got rid of the two stroke and went with an Evinrude 30hp e-tec. And I'm adding a jockey console. It should be a perfect setup for us when done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160827.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	122816   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160833.JPG
Views:	270
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	122817  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1160841.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	122818  
Old 18-04-2016, 14:18   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
That's the same as my old one! How in the world do you carry that on a 38' boat? I can't even imagine.

Our old boat was approximately the same size; we carried a 9' soft floor dinghy in Garhauer davits under an arch ("junk pile" ), with double purchase tackle. We always took the engine off.

We started with 15 horsepower (Mercury 2 stroke) but eventually downsized to 5 horsepower as the soft floor dinghy wouldn't really plane any way.

I don't think it is like your old one.
Dinghy is heavy at 189 lbs, engine is 100. I figure with fuel etc, it's 300 lbs total, with probably 220 or so on heavy end, I figure yours was at least 100 lbs heavier? Kato Davits hold it easily, it's maybe 10 ft off of the water? With it being about four ft above cockpit floor. Easy to raise, I've gotten lazy lately and added a block to the stern and run the line to my sheet winches and use the Milwaukee to raise it, electric Davits, without the complexity and expense.
It is slightly narrower than the three Solar panels it sits under and beam of the boat is 12'8" so it's about the width of the boat at the stern.
With Radar pole, Satellite dome, Solar panels, Davits and dinghy, it is a lot of windage and "junk" no doubt about that. But I don't see anyway around it, I want a fast, dry ride. Which means a RIB with a big motor. I want / need panels so I'm not generator dependent, so I'm just adding hanging junk under the Solar junk already there.
I'll be looking for a lighter one once we go, if I can find one that handles as well as this one

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 14:27   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
When you pull between the hulls to attach the harness to lift up the dingy it will rock back and forth. Without padding the engine bangs into the hull. I saw another cat in my old marina with this setup and it works really well. For years I had a sunbrella cover that went over the whole engine so it looked really good.

I'm actually changing my whole dingy setup right now. We got rid of the two stroke and went with an Evinrude 30hp e-tec. And I'm adding a jockey console. It should be a perfect setup for us when done.

So your going the Big dinghy route like Dock just got rid of, too bad you guys weren't close.

You doing wheel steering too, or just the console? I assume one sort of requires the other?

I'm spoiled by a largish dinghy, they are so nice when you have miles to go and it's just easier to take the dinghy instead of the big boat, and when the weather picks up a bit, it's not such a disaster.
It's been I think two years ago but for those familiar we were anchored behind Dog island and went it to Carribelle to eat, two adults, two teenage kids, weather turned nasty and it was getting dark after we ate, so we headed out. Couldn't have done that in a smaller dinghy. As it was about halfway there I was wondering if what we were doing was smart or not, but I didn't want to leave the boat by herself, and I didn't want to wait out the storm and go back in the dark.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2016, 14:55   #50
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
So your going the Big dinghy route like Dock just got rid of, too bad you guys weren't close.

You doing wheel steering too, or just the console? I assume one sort of requires the other?

I'm spoiled also :-)

A large dingy is not a want, it's a need. Apparently it is difficult to sell used dinghies in Turkey otherwise I would have ordered one of these.

In the past 4 years we typically have 7 to 10 people aboard = large dingy. Now that our children are in college or have full time jobs that will be less so I'd like something my wife and I can zip around with.
Old 18-04-2016, 15:20   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
I. . . Apparently it is difficult to sell used dinghies in Turkey otherwise I would have ordered one of these.. . . .
Nice!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-04-2016, 05:42   #52

Quote:
Choice of dinghy is a particularly tough tradeoff.
I believe it is safe to say that truer words were never spoken. Choosing a dinghy is all about what trade-offs work for you, and what trade-offs you are willing to make. Much like anchor choice, this is what makes it a very personal decision, and why what works marvelously for one person may be completely unacceptable for another.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 02:53   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm back on my mooring and using the new dinghy as a harbor tender. I'm well pleased with it in this role! It has much less load carrying capacity than the old one, but it's adequate. Me two crewmen and all their gear did load it down, but was ok in sheltered water.

On the plus side, the little four stroke is MUCH happier at low revs, puttering around the harbor, than the old 25hp two stroke. Handling, tilting, etc., the engine is far simpler. I'm liking it at the moment.

Sent from my D6633 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Walt Whitman
Old 27-04-2016, 04:34   #54

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I like the way the Cigale aluminium french boats store the dinghy athwartships on the wide swim platform. Simple and clever
Old 27-04-2016, 07:03   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I like the way the Cigale aluminium french boats store the dinghy athwartships on the wide swim platform. Simple and clever
That looks reasonably good -- advantage over usual davit system is that the dinghy doesn't protrude so far off the stern. Downside is you still have to have davits, or that hideous arch.

It's halfway or one-third of the way towards a real dinghy garage. Just extend the swim platform and enclose it, and you're there. And you gain deck space at the same time
Walt Whitman
Old 27-04-2016, 07:15   #56
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

damn glad i has a formosa so the metal shop ***** looks better than on them new fangled sleek and shiny boats.
i am in process of removing my dinghy, 10 ft walker bay rigid dink, from deck under mainboom to davits i have yet to design, with traveller and boom gallows incorporated into the mess, with biminy and dodger and solar panel and wind gen mounting locales.
might even take pix when i am doing this magic. yeah it will be permanent and wood with metal, preferably bronze, but.....
as far as dinghying from here to hell and back, dockhead, you have the endurance test where you are. my travels in dinks is less than a mile, in general.
oh yeah, i row, which is most impractical for your situation.
i hope you end up happy with your configuration. dinghies are most important items and transportation devices.
fun, too, when ye get it right, arent they!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 07:19   #57
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
That looks reasonably good -- advantage over usual davit system is that the dinghy doesn't protrude so far off the stern. Downside is you still have to have davits, or that hideous arch.

It's halfway or one-third of the way towards a real dinghy garage. Just extend the swim platform and enclose it, and you're there. And you gain deck space at the same time
So why do you think they don't do that? You really think the thought didn't occur to them? Why do they have a good sized dinghy that wouldn't fit a garage? Why would they put up with a hideous arch? I know they have very good reasons for the choices made, and they go far beyond what looks good on marina queens!

The thing that I have against it is that I think the dinghy will float off the chocks when pooped by a wave down there. Ours is 5' further up, well above deck level, just like ships have it
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 07:45   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
So why do you think they don't do that? You really think the thought didn't occur to them? Why do they have a good sized dinghy that wouldn't fit a garage? Why would they put up with a hideous arch? I know they have very good reasons for the choices made, and they go far beyond what looks good on marina queens!

The thing that I have against it is that I think the dinghy will float off the chocks when pooped by a wave down there. Ours is 5' further up, well above deck level, just like ships have it
Why they didn't do anything more elaborate this is the same reason why these (and all other series produced boats) don't have watertight compartments, through hulls out of the main compartment, proper anchor handling gear including samson posts, places designed to take solar panels, and a million other things needed for serious long distance especially high latitude cruising, but all of which cost money and design headaches.

The designers of series-produced boats just let the buyers worry about what to do with their dinghies. Ever notice that all advertisements don't show the dinghy being carried?

A vanishingly small number of boats produced in small series have some attention paid to normal equipment for long distance cruising -- Amels have a few, and of course Dashew's boats, have more than any.

For carrying the dinghy, the only really excellent solution I've ever seen in a series produced boat is the dingy garage of the HR64. This is different from the small dinghy garages on some Hanses (and Dehlers?) which are under aft cockpits and only big enough to jam in a small soft floor dinghy -- not a solution.

On some of the mega Oysters (I think over 80'), there is a special recess in the foredeck for a large RIB -- another excellent solution.

Otherwise, you're on your own. My boat has special structural knees to support the davits, which is good, if you're going to screw up your boat with davits and take on board the windage, clutter, and junk exposed off the stern to whacks against piles etc.

Chocks on the afterdeck could be a good place on larger center cockpit boats. You'd just need to be sure to not block access to the lazarette, and deal with the backstay, but there are probably ways to deal with that. I considered that on mine -- I could just about get a 10' RIB on there but for those two issues. The backstay can be solved with no functional or strength issues with a split backstay like on the smaller Moodys. The lazarette -- if it's big enough, then you could have a hatch into it from fwd of the dinghy. Then you'd need a deck crane, which is junk, clutter and windage, but has many uses (MOB recovery, craning equipment and provisions on board, etc.) so perhaps worth it.
Walt Whitman
Old 27-04-2016, 12:56   #59

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I saw these released last year. No idea on quality but it looks like it was designed to fit in a garage. boot 2016 - CABRIO - RIB - EXCLUSIVE! OUTBOARD-INSIDE SYSTEM - JET TENDER - SINER"G" – AERMARINE - THE BASIC RANGE - SINER "g" Srl
Old 02-05-2016, 11:12   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
I'm spoiled also :-)

A large dingy is not a want, it's a need. Apparently it is difficult to sell used dinghies in Turkey otherwise I would have ordered one of these.
Yuk, having sat in more than my fair share of ribs that looks like a very uncomfortable. Rounded edges to the console will help.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, men