Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 19:21   #16

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I'm of the opinion that painting the mother ships name on the dink is a really effective way to advertise that the mother ship is unattended.
And to add to callmecrazy how would he know we are all off the mummy just by the dink being on shore if i dident have mothers name on it it would cost the same to register also.

Old 17-01-2012, 19:32   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

The best theft deterrent is to get a 23 year old inflatable, that when tied up at the dinghy dock next to all those shiny new Avons and WalkerBays, is quit obviously owned by the poorest person in the anchorage
Old 18-01-2012, 04:57   #18

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

In these days of economic hardships, makes no matter what you paint on the dinghy, etc., it will be stolen unless you have a really good system of locking it. Paint is easy to remove or paint over. With rowing dinghies, they are usually, sort of, a classic design and more than a few are enticed to steal it.

In the Atlantic/Caribbean basin waters even using lifeline cable does not work very well. Stainless chain 1/4" works better. I keep about 10 ft (3 m) attached to the bow and another 3 ft (1 m) at the stern for the motor. Of course with a rowing dinghy you don't need that one.

Finding a good place to lock it to, like a fence, tree, dock, etc. can get very challenging. Forget beaching it unless there is something close to the water to lock it. Which brings up the need to have a small stern anchor to keep the dinghy from pounding on rocks or other hard stuff or being pushed by the waves and swamped.

And whatever you use, it needs to be solidly attached to the dinghy with non-removable bolts/nuts.

PadLocks are a constant problem as the "cheap" one rust and corrode quite quickly. You can get pure stainless steel in the French islands. I haven't seen them elsewhere. Next best is the all brass (body and loop) as they don't rust/corrode as quickly as the steel ones.

The whole process is a royal pain and the temptation to just tie it up and set off on your errands is great. That's were having a back-up dinghy on board is a good idea - but getting back to the boat to get it can be challenging. Welcome to the brave new world. . .
Old 19-01-2012, 09:45   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Ok so, as a bargain hunter, this is the type of scenario I face all the time. I'm going to pose the question here to see what you guys would do.

This is just an example, but it's a real world example and a serious question...

I have an opportunity to buy a very nice wooden rowing dink. Its 7'6" (fits on the boat), well designed, well built buy an enthusiast with good materials and stich-n-glue construction. comes with oars. It's even painted the right color the match my boat

$150

Seems like a no-brainer, good bargain, right boat, can't go wrong?

But, I already have a dink... It's an inflatable, pain in the ass to launch and stow, probably won;t last much longer than 2 or 3 years of regular use (maybe more).

What would you do? Buy now in preparation for the future? or go with what you have until it fails on the faith that you'll find something else when it's needed?

(edit) I forgot to mention... If I spend this $150, it would be taking away from already pre-budgeted equipment for the boat. I'd have to sacrifice something somewhere along the way (and we're not talking about AIS here, we're talking about bottom paint, wiring...whatever else, but notably important items, or food).

inflatables fail. hard dinks dont fail-- when they sink, they come back ok and still work. is always good to have an alternative to inflatable dink when cruising.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:34   #20
cruiser

Boat: Pegasus 45 25 Tons, "Pegasus"
Dinghies

Dinghies were discussed in this thread (http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-40051-30.html) on p 30. I recommend you go there.

That page features several two piece dinks that stow in less than 5 ft
of deck space and nest.

email me for others as I found at least 3 different designs.
goprisko@publicresearchinstitute.org

INDY
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CurlewStudyPlan.pdf (405.5 KB, 67 views)
Old 24-03-2012, 22:53   #21
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Dinks on a Shoestring

All above posts have been moved from http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post915463. Hope this helps members to find specific information
Closed Thread