Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2017, 07:07   #1

Diesel pump for Dickinson diesel heater - How noisy?

Hi all,

I'm about to install a diesel heater (Dickinson, Newport model) and considering 2 options for fuel supply:
1. A gravity tank that can be refilled from the main tank via a small transfer pump.
2. supply fuel directly from the main tank.

My concern with option 2 is the constant/regular noise associated with the low-pressure pump feeding diesel to the heater, but maybe I'm blowing that out of proportion. I tend to find pump noise in the background quite annoying when the boat is quiet (e.g. at night). Plus the appeal of these stoves is the quiet burning.

Can anyone with a direct fuel supply install comment on the noise produced by the fuel pump? Are they on all the time or intermittently? would you have done it differently? happy with it?

Thanks!
BluJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:47   #2

Re: Diesel pump for Dickinson diesel heater - How noisy?

I think you would be better served to use a day tank. While the Newport is a wonderful little heater, it has no safety features at all. If, for example, the float sticks in the carb, your electric pump would cheerfully empty your main tank to wherever you plumbed the overflow drain on the heater. Not a good situation at all. One way or the other considering the possible issues the heater can develop, a day tank will work well and be much safer.

I use a two gallon day tank and they can be fairly small because the heaters don’t consume a lot of fuel unless you crank it really high, which is dangerous in itself without careful monitoring. My tank is about level with my heater and I use a couple pounds of pressure, delivered with a bicycle pump, to push the fuel to the heater. I can depressurize the tank, add diesel and re-pressurize while the heater is burning with no problem. If in constant use, the pressure in the day tank may have to be pumped up a couple times a day.
um saudade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:54   #3

Boat: Tayana 37

I've got a direct feed, and the pump only makes a single click, every 30 seconds or so. It's been in for three years, never had a problem with it. When I put it in, I was able to free up a day tank for the engines.
SV Simple Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:39   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by um saudade View Post
I think you would be better served to use a day tank. While the Newport is a wonderful little heater, it has no safety features at all. If, for example, the float sticks in the carb, your electric pump would cheerfully empty your main tank to wherever you plumbed the overflow drain on the heater. Not a good situation at all. One way or the other considering the possible issues the heater can develop, a day tank will work well and be much safer.

I use a two gallon day tank and they can be fairly small because the heaters don’t consume a lot of fuel unless you crank it really high, which is dangerous in itself without careful monitoring. My tank is about level with my heater and I use a couple pounds of pressure, delivered with a bicycle pump, to push the fuel to the heater. I can depressurize the tank, add diesel and re-pressurize while the heater is burning with no problem. If in constant use, the pressure in the day tank may have to be pumped up a couple times a day.
I have a similar system on my catamaran but it is not hooked up. So far I have determined it is a cozy cabin type heater and a pressure tank. I know I have to plumb it with lines and then light/prime the heater somehow. For sure it is on the list of to do things this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00639.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	141017  
PacificGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:15   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

There are different types of electric supply pumps. One style runs continuously, another runs until its pressure setting is reached and then stops until the pressure drops. Both make "clicking" type sounds. They are not particularly loud, but if the pump is mounted directly on a thin panel or bulkhead, it can be amplified to the point of irritation. Some rubber mounts help greatly in this aspect.

We have one of the continuous types, mounted in a locker in the saloon. The noise does not bother us at all, but we are quite used to it by now... that may help! One wonders about lifetime, but so far it has lasted us a decade or so of light usage.

IF you have the place to mount a gravity day tank, that's a good system, and helps monitor fuel usage. I'm quit opposed to the pressurized day tank, though. We had such on our previous boat and found it a nuisance to maintain and use. Further, if any leaks develop in the hose or tubing between tank and heater one can get a significant diesel spill (ours was a kinda long run from a remote tank). If the run is short and accessible not so much of an issue.

If you use a day tank, do be sure that it is easy to fill, even if conditions are not so nice.

Obviously, it all depends on the specific boat and layout... but you will enjoy the heat! At least we do, mostly at the end of summer down here in Tasmania. We always seem to linger a bit too long, and for us it gets bloody cold!

Jim
Old 11-02-2017, 18:42   #6

thanks for the replies. I could find a spot for the pump in the engine compartment, which would help with noise mitigation. Nobody so far seems to have issues with the noise produced by the pumps.

I'm also considering the costs associated with making a custom built tank (because of where it would have to be located). In that regards a direct feed is probably a more cost effective solution.

We're in Nova Scotia so heat is definitely a must when cruising past October. Our previous heater (Force 10 cozy heater, burning kerosene) was using a small pressurized tank and I was also not a fan of this system.
BluJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55   #7

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

To each his own, but, given a choice, I would never install a pump when gravity will do the job for you. Simple, and it just works!
The top 20 gallons of my main fuel tank is segregated from the rest of the tank, and it serves as a header tank to supply both of my Dickinsons. A flip of a valve and it becomes a reserve fuel supply for the main engine.
So, maybe a little bit of extra work now (and I question that), but then you have a safe system that you don't have to worry about. Self-tending, no pump noise, no pump to replace down the road, no electrical wires, no fuse or circuit breaker, two fewer potential leaks in the fuel line, etc.
If you must use a pump to fill the day tank, I would recommend a manual pump.

( I forget who said it, but remember: "There is no gravity ..... the earth sucks!")
Old 12-02-2017, 10:20   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I use a gravity feed day tank mounted a couple of feet higher than the stove (in the engine compartment). It has worked for 30 years without a problem.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:31   #9

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)

On our old boat, we had a pump lift fuel from our main tank. It ticked every 20-30 seconds, sounded an old school ticking clock. If the sound bothers you, simply mount it with some oversized washers, and sound barrier foam between the pump and the mounting surface.

We loved this system for its simplicity once installed. No separate tanks. Also we burned so little diesel with our engine in a season that we liked the heater burning it from the main tank as it helped us create space in our tank to add more fresh diesel.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:57   #10

I rubber mounted the Walbro pump that Dickinson recommends you use. If the boat is completely quiet and you pay attention you can hear it tick. Not at all intrusive. Ticks once about every 30 second with my Adriatic on low.
sean9c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 11:58   #11

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Day tank all the way. IMO the second choice is more blankets and warmer clothing. The pump would be somewhere further down on the list.
Old 12-02-2017, 14:36   #12

We installed Newport 12 years ago, using Wabso low pressure pump, have new had a problem, works great for us. First three winters we in NY harbour and fireplace ran about 8 hours a day, more on weekends.
Pump located on bulkhead behind heater, fan (to circulate heat) was louder than the pump. As said above pump ticks once every 20-30 seconds, barely hear it.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 15:00   #13

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I used a Walbro pump for many years. While it is true that you get used to the ticking in the background, I was happy that I converted to gravity and finally had peace. I had located the pump inside of a soundproofed engine compartment, and mounted it with rubber isolators, so the ticking wasn't very loud, but do not underestimate the annoyance of even small sounds after years of living aboard.

It does not take much head for a gravity tank to work because the flow is so small. Think inches, not feet. As it turned out my day tank was above the heater's carburetor and the pump was simply not necessary, and I hadn't realized it.

BTW you should include in your system the thermal cut-out valve that Dickinson sells. Whether gravity-fed or pump-fed, if the float valve in the carburetor sticks open you are in for trouble - it doesn't matter at all what is providing the driving force on the fuel. If the heater is operating it can result in overheating, or overflowing in any case. Also, mount the heater as low as possible as it will heat the interior better and the extra length on the chimney will also help.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 15:01   #14

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

If you install a pump. Make sure it is as close to the heater as possible and not pushing the fuel any more than a few feet vertical. The standard pump for these heaters are not that strong, which is the one I have. Although I think they sell a stronger pump as an option.
Old 12-02-2017, 15:21   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
but do not underestimate the annoyance of even small sounds after years of living aboard.
That's an interesting take, Greg. We've lived aboard a long time, and I've found that such sounds just disappear from my mind. It is changes in sounds or new sounds that get my attention, even small changes. Our heater is running as I type, and if I concentrate I can hear the continuous ticking of the pump... but it does not intrude into my thoughts at all.

I guess we're all different!

Jim

Tags
dickinson, diesel