Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2014, 08:21   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Designing the Perfect RIB Tender?

If you were designing your ideal RIB Tender what features would be a must have for you?

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:40   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Designing the perfect rib tender?

Unpainted aluminum hull, large diameter tubes, upturned bow. I would think they should also sell factory made chaps.

Sounds like an AB dingy?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:44   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Yes AB has already done it. I've found no need for chaps in a Hypalon dink.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:20   #4

AB are hypalon coated i believe? Though no cupholders, nor does it have any built in lashing for the fuel tank, nor does the anchor locker have a lock. I have the dual skin AB and the inner skin collects lots of water, one of the handles also ripped off another negative is the weight! They may be the best of the bunch , but they are far from perfect!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53   #5

What about a raised transom so you don't get flooded when you come off the plane quickly? a locking locker, cup holder? An easy entry system for getting back in from the water, not so easy!

Old 07-07-2014, 11:03   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
I've found no need for chaps in a Hypalon dink.
Sun protection always helps, but we find our chaps to also be valuable in adding puncture and chafe resistance, as well as a cleaner, drier, less slippery surface to sit on. Light color ones can also be cooler to sit on.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:18   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
AB are hypalon coated i believe? Though no cupholders, nor does it have any built in lashing for the fuel tank, nor does the anchor locker have a lock. I have the dual skin AB and the inner skin collects lots of water, one of the handles also ripped off another negative is the weight! They may be the best of the bunch , but they are far from perfect!
My AB Lite is ten years old now. It has a small double bottom, no leaks there. No anchor locker never mind a lock or cup holders. Don't need them. It's hypalon. Has a nice flat floor. Good utilitarian dink but if you want to cruise around the anchorage with a drink, it'll do that too. Just hang on to your bubba keg.

Two dry bags of laundry
One gas tank
Three jugs of water (18 gallons)
One American Tourister luggage carrier
Groceries to come, also two crew, and it'll still go like stink with a 15 horse
Old 07-07-2014, 11:23   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We like having an internal "floor" with bilge underneath, partly because the top surface is easy on bare feet, and partly because it's dry. The removable feature is useful for periodic bilge cleaning.

We have in-sole storage and in-seat storage, both very useful.

Our optional additional seating (or a movable seat) adds a bit of versatility. (We added a second seat, also with in-seat storage, and that usually means my butt stays dry, unlike if I were always sitting on the tubes.)

Hold-down slots for fuel tanks and batteries and so forth are very useful.

Good hand-holds, critical.

Light enough to lift with appropriate aids, heavy enough and with a good hull form for decent sea-keeping.

-Chris
Old 07-07-2014, 11:24   #9

Do the aluminium hull ribs get hot in the sun? say if you beached them or if they were on davits?

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
My AB Lite is ten years old now. It has a small double bottom, no leaks there. No anchor locker never mind a lock or cup holders. Don't need them. It's hypalon. Has a nice flat floor. Good utilitarian dink but if you want to cruise around the anchorage with a drink, it'll do that too. Just hang on to your bubba keg.
Our seat straps broke so we stuck an igloo cooler where the seat used to be (and it weighs half of what that heavy glassed plank weighed). Now the gas tank is inside that, along with simple tools and other random storage items that we want kept dry. We have a bow locker too, which carries the anchor and rode, but that is always wet. You can get igloos with built-in cupholders on the tops. I suppose you could also put a lock on it too, but that would only keep lazy crooks out.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:30   #11

Quote:
Do the aluminium hull ribs get hot in the sun? say if you beached them or if they were on davits?
If they are painted white, they should stay relatively cool. If they are unpainted, I don't see how they could not get hot when not in the water.

Mark

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

The ideal rib

I think it is one that can be rowed properly

i.e. proper oarlocks like the ones fitted to Avons not the useless ones on AB's and Caribes and also seven feet oars

Also it would be wonderful if it could sail as well

well dreaming over, I am getting back in my 6 year Aluminium AB which I am pretty happy with (Light, good at sea, strong and a good load carrier)
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 12:21   #13

I agree the oars on AB are really a bit of an afterthought, so no one think a lockable locker would be handy? or an easy way to get aboard from the water?

The reason i am asking is that i fancy building my own rib , i got handed a spare set of hypalon tubes with all the fittings , so i am thinking of making a hull for the tubes possibly carbon or something else exotic.

i am thinking of adding a step on the transom for easy water entry a lockable locker, cup holders,a raised transom to stop swamping on dropping of the plane rapidly, maybe an integral fuel tank in thew bow, help keep the nose down when trying to get on the plane.

I am looking for other suggestions to add, seeing it will be a one off.

Old 07-07-2014, 12:57   #14

Quote:
I agree the oars on AB are really a bit of an afterthought, so no one think a lockable locker would be handy? or an easy way to get aboard from the water?

The reason i am asking is that i fancy building my own rib , i got handed a spare set of hypalon tubes with all the fittings , so i am thinking of making a hull for the tubes possibly carbon or something else exotic.

i am thinking of adding a step on the transom for easy water entry a lockable locker, cup holders,a raised transom to stop swamping on dropping of the plane rapidly, maybe an integral fuel tank in thew bow, help keep the nose down when trying to get on the plane.

I am looking for other suggestions to add, seeing it will be a one off.
Depends on how you're going to use the dink. If cruising you definitely want a flat floor. A double bottom from about a third aft to a foot before the transom should do it. This will leave a little well aft for bailing. A flat floor is much better when you have to lug a lot of stuff. I would not bother with lockers or seats or integral fuel tanks. Keep it simple. Lifting rings forward and at the solid transom would be great. A sturdy bow ring for the painter.

I have never been pooped with my AB so I don't see the need for a raised transom. Just go with the standard 17" outboard shaft height. If it's higher you'll need a long shaft ob. It is very difficult to row an inflatable so I would not worry too much about oarlocks.
Old 07-07-2014, 13:21   #15

although a locker and double floor might be nice, it makes a RIB pretty heavy. My perfect RIB would have a single floor, no locker, aluminum or glass, frankly I like glass but if Alum is lighter .... good. I think anyone who is going to steal stuff out of your locker may be taking the whole dingy! Soft tubes make for a great entry... wouldn't use a ladder or step if I had the tubes anyway.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib, tender