Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2021, 13:44   #1

Davits stabilizer bar spacing

Hi all,

I’m curious how many of you have gotten davits for your boat with stabilizer bars that go between the two davits. Maybe all have them, I’m not sure.

The company Im purchasing the davits from requires very precise measurements of the gap between the two davit arms while my dinghy is hoisted to create the stabilizer bars. My question is - how precise does this measurement really need to be? Do I have any wiggle room? What if I want to change my dinghy in the future to something slightly longer or shorter? Surely the measurements between the arms will be different with different dinghies until they are fixed in place by the stabilizer bars.

Any help or advice is appreciated
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 14:02   #2

Re: Davits stabilizer bar spacing

Well, that's dependent on the tube size of the davit and the anchoring/mounting scheme i suppose. But I think you just go with what you measure and amend things later if you spread your davits for some reason. I dont really think you should need to change the davit spacing with a bigger or smaller dingy though. My Cat had no stabilizer, but the tubes were big.
Side flex can be an issue after many cycles from sea action I imagine, you want to stop the davits from working on the attachments over time etc.
A diagonal cross would be best really.
I would space davits as wide as the mounting locations will allow I suppose. Are they welding the crossbars in?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 16:37   #3

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Davits stabilizer bar spacing

Moonbeam’s davits have a crossbar. Whatever dinghy I hang on them has a different spacing on the hoist than the one set by the bar. Some larger some smaller.
I use diagonal lines to stabilize the dink of the moment.
I’ve had four different dinks on the davits for four different purposes. Still own three of them.
Pick a number and move on!
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 16:59   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

i am at a lost. I installed my own and the bar length should be dependent in haw far apart the arms arm keepi g the arm parallel. I cut my own to size after installing.
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 17:35   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

here is a pick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201107_115253.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	241138  
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2021, 17:46   #6

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
Hi all,

I’m curious how many of you have gotten davits for your boat with stabilizer bars that go between the two davits. Maybe all have them, I’m not sure.

The company Im purchasing the davits from requires very precise measurements of the gap between the two davit arms while my dinghy is hoisted to create the stabilizer bars. My question is - how precise does this measurement really need to be? Do I have any wiggle room? What if I want to change my dinghy in the future to something slightly longer or shorter? Surely the measurements between the arms will be different with different dinghies until they are fixed in place by the stabilizer bars.

Any help or advice is appreciated
If I understand correctly you are having the whole thing supplied and installed, not just the stabiliser bar ?

If I am imagining it correctly and assuming you want the davit arms parallel, give them the distance apart the davit is where it is mounted to your boat from centre of the arm tube to centre of arm tube and be sure to send them a drawing of how you have taken the measurement. There are a number of ways to measure it and if they are thinking inside measurements not centre to centre you won't get what you want.

I would measure to the mm for something that size.
Old 27-06-2021, 19:29   #7

Boat: Hunter 45 CC

I have Kato Davits which allow for installation of the davits to lift at whatever width you like by have them finish the cross bar as the Op described.

It appeared to be best for me to have the davit arms parallel because I was adding solar panel over my davits, and the lift points on the dink matched that same width as the parallel arms. By over sight was the bow tube of the dink over hangs the lift point so the lifting strap rubs on the dink tub. I made champs that helped but I still have to improve the tie downs because the tie downs what to pull the camps off.

You may want to toe the davit arm inward so the lifting straps clear the dink tubs. I do have straps to reduce the swinging but it still isn't enough. I hate to wrap a strap around the dink tube.

Dave, PM me if you what any photos or other detail
Sailor_Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2021, 16:41   #8

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
.........The company I am purchasing the davits from requires very precise measurements of the gap between the two davit arms while my dinghy is hoisted to create the stabilizer bars. My question is - how precise does this measurement really need to be? Do I have any wiggle room? What if I want to change my dinghy in the future to something slightly longer or shorter? Surely the measurements between the arms will be different with different dinghies until they are fixed in place by the stabilizer bars...........
I installed dinghy davits on my Hunter 386 sailboat with a stabilizer bar. The manufacturer can provide you a bar to meet your precise measurement OR longer than you need for you to cut fit. Once you install the arms, I would not expect you to have to modify the bar if you change your dinghy in the future to something slightly longer or shorter since the bar should be mounted perpendicular to each arm.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits