Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-03-2017, 19:47   #16

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5
Re: Davits on a Beneteau Sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gure Balandra View Post
Good day David,

I'm really impressed with your SS davit. I have the same Oceanis (New) 50, built on 2010 (Im pretty sure because of the arch at the entrance down) Sorry my poor english! Do you mind explaining me something else about costs measurements and results of your davit please? Any other pic with the dingy on it?

Thanks a lot in advance!.
JON
No problem Jon, and thanks! If you have the arch, then yours is the Oceanis 50 G5 - like ours, it was the last of that series, where they updated it and released it alongside their then flagship Oceanis 58, as a 'mini flagship' so to speak. The last brochure was a special they put out with just the OC58 and OC50 - if you can find one, it is a nice keepsake. It's not a coffee-table book like the Oyster ones, but still nice.

As to the arch-davit system, working through an interpreter in Tunisia, it cost us around EUR3250. We had a much simpler and lighter weight one quoted to us in France for around EUR7-8k.

The davits are very solid, and are from 1.6mm wall, 50mm OD 316 as is the rest of the arch (most horizontal tubes are 30mm to match the pushpit). I have arranged a pair of small, ball-bearing Ronstan blocks hanging from the eyes welded at the end of each davit arm.

I did not want a lot of line in the cockpit when the tender was hauled up, so kept it to a single sheave with becket one end, and a single sheave the other. So it is only a 2:1 purchase, and a bit of a pull to lift the tender with outboard attached, but quite manageable (I'm in my sixties). 3:1 would certainly be easier, but more line when it is all hoisted up.

I will try to find some photos of it with the tender mounted - it works better than I feared, but I still would not do any real voyage like that. In my view, the outboard should be stowed on the pushpit, and the tender at least lashed to the foredeck when heading off. Getting the tender up on the foredeck is easy with a spare halyard from near the top of the mast. My first mate pushes the winch button, and I just guide up over the safety lines, then flip over and lash down.

I also find it is nice to have that solid arch at the rear of the cockpit to hold on to when boarding etc. The ultimate test - would I do anything differently if someone could wave a magic wand? At this stage (coming into our fourth season with the arch now), I can honestly say no.

Apart from more photos, have I answered your questions Jon?

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 00:57   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
No problem Jon, and thanks! If you have the arch, then yours is the Oceanis 50 G5 - like ours, it was the last of that series, where they updated it and released it alongside their then flagship Oceanis 58, as a 'mini flagship' so to speak. The last brochure was a special they put out with just the OC58 and OC50 - if you can find one, it is a nice keepsake. It's not a coffee-table book like the Oyster ones, but still nice.

As to the arch-davit system, working through an interpreter in Tunisia, it cost us around EUR3250. We had a much simpler and lighter weight one quoted to us in France for around EUR7-8k.

The davits are very solid, and are from 1.6mm wall, 50mm OD 316 as is the rest of the arch (most horizontal tubes are 30mm to match the pushpit). I have arranged a pair of small, ball-bearing Ronstan blocks hanging from the eyes welded at the end of each davit arm.

I did not want a lot of line in the cockpit when the tender was hauled up, so kept it to a single sheave with becket one end, and a single sheave the other. So it is only a 2:1 purchase, and a bit of a pull to lift the tender with outboard attached, but quite manageable (I'm in my sixties). 3:1 would certainly be easier, but more line when it is all hoisted up.

I will try to find some photos of it with the tender mounted - it works better than I feared, but I still would not do any real voyage like that. In my view, the outboard should be stowed on the pushpit, and the tender at least lashed to the foredeck when heading off. Getting the tender up on the foredeck is easy with a spare halyard from near the top of the mast. My first mate pushes the winch button, and I just guide up over the safety lines, then flip over and lash down.

I also find it is nice to have that solid arch at the rear of the cockpit to hold on to when boarding etc. The ultimate test - would I do anything differently if someone could wave a magic wand? At this stage (coming into our fourth season with the arch now), I can honestly say no.

Apart from more photos, have I answered your questions Jon?

David
Good day David,
thank you very much for your repply and extended feed back, much appreciated it!
Concerning the arch-davit system, did you kept a kind of plan or drawings wich you may share? then I could show to a friend SS workshop here to get a quotation, wouldn't be so nice as in Tunisia but certainly much better than in France; may you pls?

Have a nice day.
Jon.
Gure Balandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 17:27   #18

Quote:
Good day David,
thank you very much for your repply and extended feed back, much appreciated it!
Concerning the arch-davit system, did you kept a kind of plan or drawings wich you may share? then I could show to a friend SS workshop here to get a quotation, wouldn't be so nice as in Tunisia but certainly much better than in France; may you pls?

Have a nice day.
Jon.
I will try to find the sketches also Jon. I thought I had them as pdf's that I e-mailed through, but no. The only hope now is the originals tucked away with other paperwork ..........
Old 29-03-2017, 01:56   #19

Hello David,
thank you! If you can, ok. Be sure will be of great assistance for me.
But take your time, don't want to be a pain on the ass for nobody!

Have a great day!

Jon
Old 12-04-2017, 02:37   #20

Quote:
I will try to find the sketches also Jon. I thought I had them as pdf's that I e-mailed through, but no. The only hope now is the originals tucked away with other paperwork ..........
Good day David,
sorry to disturb you, I had told you to take your time but here I come again...
The fact is I found in my born town a work shop who could do my arch in a very-very good price and then I totally left a side the purchasing of a couple of davits to go on to build an arch as yours. He said is quit dificult for him to ralize it with the 2 pics I have, so if you may supply us the drwings, or at least more pics I'll deeply thank you forever!

Have a nice day!

JON
Old 12-04-2017, 20:25   #21

Quote:
Good day David,
The fact is I found in my born town a work shop who could do my arch in a very-very good price and then I totally left a side the purchasing of a couple of davits to go on to build an arch as yours. He said is quit dificult for him to ralize it with the 2 pics I have, so if you may supply us the drwings, or at least more pics I'll deeply thank you forever!

Have a nice day!

JON
No problem disturbing Jon. Just a bit frantic here in prep for returning to the Med. I will try to find the time over the weekend to go through the hard drive, and pull out some more images. I will post them here. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a good Easter.
David
Old 13-04-2017, 13:13   #22

Quote:
No problem disturbing Jon. Just a bit frantic here in prep for returning to the Med. I will try to find the time over the weekend to go through the hard drive, and pull out some more images. I will post them here. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a good Easter.
David
Hello David, and thank you very much! They'll be of great assistance for me!

Good Easter for everybody too!
Old 20-04-2017, 06:12   #23

Quote:
Good day David,

Have a nice day!

JON
Hello Jon,
OK, I went through all the recent files and found some more photos. I am not sure these give you any more information, but perhaps a different perspective gives a clearer understanding of the whole thing.
To keep it all together, I include the first to photos here again.
We will be back on board in a week, so any more (assuming I have Internet connection as hoped) can be sent then.

Let me know how you go.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	145875   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch 1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	145876  

Name:	Arch 2.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	145877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch 3.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	145878  

Name:	Arch 4.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	145879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Arch 5.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	145880  

Old 21-04-2017, 00:36   #24

Good day David,
many thanks! certainly they'll be of much assistance, I'll arrive home today after 1 week professional trip, and shall show all to the workshop on my town. Whenever I'll have his feedback I'll let you know.
Thanks again and have a great day (evening in Aus?)
Brgds!!
JON
Old 21-04-2017, 00:57   #25

Quote:
Good day David,
many thanks! certainly they'll be of much assistance, I'll arrive home today after 1 week professional trip, and shall show all to the workshop on my town. Whenever I'll have his feedback I'll let you know.
Thanks again and have a great day (evening in Aus?)
Brgds!!
JON
No Problem Jon. No doubt many of us would like to see the outcome when you have it done.
Old 11-05-2017, 03:32   #26

Hi David, hi All!

this small post just to inform that there's nothing to report. What was so easy at the begining is taking time now, even to produce a quotation. I checked even with other workshops than my friends, and nothing yet...
As sooner I'll get something I'll let you all know.

All the Best!
Old 26-01-2020, 10:59   #27

Boat: Beneteau 45 OC & Jeaneau 409

Just some additional photos of another Klacko arch we saw this summer in the Chesapeake. I liked the integration of the canvas on this one vs. ours.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	48723627956_e96db93b7c_o (1).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	207600   Click image for larger version

Name:	48723802802_d8ea9da421_o.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	207601  

Name:	48723296048_c7ccd4a85e_o.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	207602   Click image for larger version

Name:	48723802482_b055d17a87_o.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	207604  

newburycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 05:22   #28

Boat: Beneteau Sense 55"

hi there, I wonder what was your final conclusion I’m now in the same dilema trying to use my new dinghy on the sense 55 thanks
iconcharterllc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2021, 11:45   #29

Boat: Beneteau Sense 50

This is the arch that was installed on our Sense 50. It was made in Grenada in 2019

Thet made a mistake and made it taller than my requested height (just above bimini).

While I was really upset and negotiated a significant decrease in price, I'm now happy with the height.

Name:	20200727_070356.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	230623
jspla1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, davits