Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2015, 06:02   #16

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Creative solutions for packing a dinghy

I have an Avon rover 10+feet with a solid floor in three pieces. I either stow the floor in the vberth and leave the dinghy like a sausage on the foredeck, or take out the boe floor, deflate it a bit, tuck the bow under the boat, and position the transom over the beginning of the cabin trunk. Either way it's a pain and I'm trying to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 06:49   #17

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBonesBotta View Post
............... As far as a portabote is concerned, I've heard that the rubber on them doesn't agree with prolonged exposure to salt water.
Where did you hear that crap?

Plenty of people are using Porta Botes in salt water long term. Just because you heard something doesn't make it true.
Old 28-03-2015, 08:10   #18

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBonesBotta View Post
I did indeed say creative. I quite like your first idea though.
Thanks. The cat would have minimal drag. And if you have one that disassembles, you can store it along the side rails in rough weather, even easier than a porta-boat. Maybe like one some guy on CF made from carbon fiber that is only 35lbs..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blackcat1.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	99590  
Old 28-03-2015, 08:16   #19

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Okay..will look into it.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 08:57   #20

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

I'm looking at the same problem with a 33 ft. boat and 8 ft. dingy. I like a hinged solution where you add a small swim platform aft, and add quick release hinge sets to the platform and gunwhale of the dingy. The dingy flips up on its side and secured with lines. This seems to leave the aft deck and coming clear for other things. I'll follow up with a link.
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 09:13   #21

Boat: Offshore 33 cat ketch

They are called Weaver Snap Davits. weaverindustries.com They look like a solution to me. Sorry didn't have link, but follow up is better than never!

Sail on!

M.S.
mserafi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 09:56   #22

Boat: 1974 Cal Cruising 35

Don't recommend Portabote. Had one and found it too unstable. Too tippy getting in and out. I would vote for a nesting hard dingy.
msrcal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 10:03   #23

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Where did you hear that crap?

Plenty of people are using Porta Botes in salt water long term. Just because you heard something doesn't make it true.
Lol this could be said for so many posts I shall start quoting you.. :thumbup:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:33   #24

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I also sail a 30' sloop, and I hear you.

I use a 9' avon inflatable. You are right, blowing it up and stowing it is a nightmare and a pain. I keep it in the quarter berth. It weighs a ton, and drags like a demon. The 4hp yamaha on the sternrail is dead weight that tortures me every time I have to lift it up or down from the dinghy.

But a 30' sloop just isn't big enough to stow a hard bottom dinghy unless you use davits. Davits are, IMHO, the only solution.

I crossed the atlantic on a swan 48 with a RIB on the bow...what a total pain. You need a very big sailboat or a very small RIB to make this work. However, once we were in the Caribbean, it was excellent to have with a 20 on the back.

The outboard can be replaced with oars...you will have rippling big bicep muscles as a bonus.

Good luck.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:45   #25

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

I've often considered making an 8-10 by 3-1/2 to 4' wide dinghy, that is in two halves(the front half and the rear half, which can fit one over the other when stowed and put together at a mid-mini-type bulkhead that bolts together to make the boat full-sized.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 15:53   #26

Boat: Mariner 31 ketch (in Mexico)

We have a similar situation with our recently-purchased Mariner 31 ketch in Mexico. Previous owner was a keen diver, so had a 9' inflatable with a 6hp 4-stroke engine which weighs a ton. No davits, as the boat has a bronze Aries (one of the reasons we bought her). P.O. also built a bolted on hard dodger which is unattractive but practical, but which reduces dinghy storage space on the cabin roof. Tried a neighbour's 8' Walker Bay for size, but it wouldn't fit.
Fortunately while en route back to NZ (by road and air, this time) we found a 6' 8" GRP sailing dinghy at Minneys, which we transported to a relative's on the roof of a Honda civic (no roofrack - it'll be fun driving it to San Carlos in October).
Had an 8' hard dinghy on our previous 28-footer, which we exchanged for a Dolphin dinghy in NZ. These are great if you can find one; we had the 6'6" version which was stable, roomy, and rowed well. Personally i found it frustrating being unable to get around without using an outboard as I like chatting to other anchored boats en route, and watching the wildlife.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 17:57   #27

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Our boat is 42 but the pointy back end limits dingy carrying. We went through the same deliberations and ended up choosing a high pressure floor inflatable. In practice we tow it mostly for local costal cruising but deflate it and stow it below for longer passages. Yes we've been caught out even in costal sailing in 35-45 knots and never had a problem (so far). We use a 3.5 hp outboard which is easy enough to lift on and off to the rail mount so we never ever tow with the motor on the dink.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 18:40   #28

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2015, 19:09   #29

crossed 3 oceans in a heavy 28' sailboat with an 8' pram on the foredeck. if you plan any offshore work, i wouldn't consider davits on a 30-footer, or towing. maybe a nesting dinghy?
leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 00:14   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper & Nicholson, Nicholson 32, 32', Fals Cappa

We cruise a Nicholson 32 in UK and French waters. I researched a few years ago to find a decent alternative to the inflatable. I considered the Portabote but decided on the B&B Yachts designed nesting tenders. The Spindrift 10' and Two Paw/Cats Paw 8' are the ones I have built for my use and to sell. They are great: lightweight to get on deck. They row and motor very well. Happily towed if the sea-state permits. The sailing Spindrift is great fun! The nesting versions take up half the space on deck. I'm currently building a nesting 8' Twopaw to use as a demonstrator this season. Look up Graham Byrnes' B&Byachts where you'll see a promo video of a Spindrift (nesting version) and a Cats Paw (non-nesting)
Althebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy