Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2018, 21:16   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Nope, there is a spec'd min / max not to be messed with, needs to be in range for the **right** backpressure.

Use the one included, ask for specs, or use the spec from whomever they copied, Planar?
john back pressure has nothing to do with it . They are forced draft open burnpot systems.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 21:36   #32
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Maybe crossed wires with Propex HS2211?

If so sorry, please ignore
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 22:22   #33
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Maybe crossed wires with Propex HS2211?

If so sorry, please ignore
entirely possible and personally I would not recommend the Propex HS2211
Due to it using propane as its fuel.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 06:55   #34
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 2,158
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
john back pressure has nothing to do with it . They are forced draft open burnpot systems.
Right. Mine came with a plastic hose for the combustion air intake. I think the idea is to quiet things down a little. I plan to remove mine, since the unit is behind some cabinetry anyway, and I suspect it's restricting the draft and contributing to overheating on "high."

If I had it to do again, I'd plan to minimize the exhaust hose run even if it meant longer hoses for the heated air discharge.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 09:29   #35
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Right. Mine came with a plastic hose for the combustion air intake. I think the idea is to quiet things down a little. I plan to remove mine, since the unit is behind some cabinetry anyway, and I suspect it's restricting the draft and contributing to overheating on "high."

If I had it to do again, I'd plan to minimize the exhaust hose run even if it meant longer hoses for the heated air discharge.
tom we don't actually need to use the intake air hose ( for the most part there are always exceptions.)
overheating ? Ok when was last cleaning ? Is there any restriction on the air runs ( cold or hot) ? How long is the exhaust line?
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 14:09   #36
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 2,158
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
overheating ? Ok when was last cleaning ? Is there any restriction on the air runs ( cold or hot) ? How long is the exhaust line?
It's overheated (shut down with an error code) on anything much above half-way on the heat setting since it was first installed. The air intake and outlet are within a couple of feet of the unit, with only one 90 degree elbow each. The exhaust hose probably runs 7-8 feet, with some ups and downs along the way.

I suspect that length of exhaust hose, although within spec IIRC, is probably the problem. I'm planning to remove the combustion air intake hose and see if there's any improvement.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 14:28   #37
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
It's overheated (shut down with an error code) on anything much above half-way on the heat setting since it was first installed. The air intake and outlet are within a couple of feet of the unit, with only one 90 degree elbow each. The exhaust hose probably runs 7-8 feet, with some ups and downs along the way.

I suspect that length of exhaust hose, although within spec IIRC, is probably the problem. I'm planning to remove the combustion air intake hose and see if there's any improvement.
your combustion exhaust is to long especially if it is lagged the full distance .
An improvement would be to just spot wrap and insert it into a 2 inch outer pipe . Allows for the exhaust to bleed off excess exhaust temperature.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:13   #38
cruiser

Join Date: Jan 2017
Boat: Retired from CF
Posts: 13,304
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
john back pressure has nothing to do with it . They are forced draft open burnpot systems.
OK, but the right hose length **is** apparently important?

What is the underlying reason for that if I was wrong about it being back pressure?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 11:24   #39
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
OK, but the right hose length **is** apparently important?

What is the underlying reason for that if I was wrong about it being back pressure?
Its kinda wierd but it has to do with temperature of the exhaust if its to hot it will cause an overheat to cold and you get condensate that will eventually cause a blockage and overheat as well. So its not so much the length as the lay . The issue with it being longer usually means that at some point the exhaust does an upward turn . Hence my recommendation for a condensate drain being installed close to the unit.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 15:15   #40
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 2,158
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Any chance that a small fan on the combustion air intake side would help?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 15:36   #41
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 397
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Any chance that a small fan on the combustion air intake side would help?
Go to.....

https://www.eberspaecher-na.com/file...10-29-2018.pdf

Page 61 >DUCTING RATING GUIDE

Hope it helps. You might is also orientation for other issues
__________________
Now or Never
warrior 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 15:58   #42
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Any chance that a small fan on the combustion air intake side would help?
unfortunately tom no that won't do any good it will actually cause issues.
Adding a fan on the intake would cause an imbalance and combustion issues with the fuel to air ratios in the combustion chamber.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2018, 18:54   #43
Registered User
 
CaptTom's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Southern Maine
Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Posts: 2,158
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

All right, a fan on the combustion side is out.

The ducts are short and only use 2 el's and no significant obstructions. Using the numbers in the manual, I'd be maybe a "2." I don't think that's the problem.

Next step is to remove the combustion air intake hose (no real reason for it.)

Failing that, I'm thinking of moving the whole thing to another location to make the exhaust shorter, although that will make the ducting longer.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 00:43   #44
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 16
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

When I started the thread I was thinking to install the heater in a way to reuse old exhaust and fuel lines from previously present and later removed generator. It had approximately 2.5 meters of the exhaust line ,which is still intact. With adapting fittings of cause.
Is that a bad idea?
navado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2018, 00:54   #45
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 9,600
Re: Chineese or cheap forced air disel heaters vs expencive alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by navado View Post
When I started the thread I was thinking to install the heater in a way to reuse old exhaust and fuel lines from previously present and later removed generator. It had approximately 2.5 meters of the exhaust line ,which is still intact. With adapting fittings of cause.
Is that a bad idea?
The fuel line would work just great
2.5 m is a long exhaust for a smaller air unit are we Talking1inch exhaust or 2 inch?
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cheap, enc, heater

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the air intake of a forced air heater need to draw outside air? Ostinato Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 03-03-2018 09:53
Webasto 3500 Forced Air Heater Info rebel heart Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 8 01-11-2012 09:48
Want To Buy: Need a Cheap, Cheap, Cheap Boat . . . Did I Mention Cheap ? TheScarab Classifieds Archive 52 05-02-2012 13:29

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:42.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.