Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2018, 13:46   #1

Bridle to hang RIB from davits

Purchased a RIB and for the first time I’ll have a dinghy to hang on my davits. The chandler suggested I construct a bridle. As best I can understand, this would be be made of 3 lines that attach to the dinghy’s 3 lifting points and designed to incorporate 2 rings positioned the along the center line of the dinghy and spaced the same distance apart as the davits. The bridle remains permanently attached to the dinghy while the lines from the davits are secured to the rings in the bridle. (Essentially it moves the lifting points to align with the davits. )

Could anyone point me to a resource with tips on making such a bridle?
Thanks.
JiminVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2018, 18:10   #2

Boat: Outremer 55L
Re: Bridle to hang RIB from davits

3 lifting points?

Our 3m aluminium RIB has 2 lifting points inside the hull - 1 on the inside of the transom and 1 at the base of the bow compartment. Each lifting point has 2 welded eyes, one on either hull corner.

We have a single line about 1.5 m long for each lifting point, with an eye splice and thimble in the middle (to which each respective davits line attaches) and a snap hook at each end (which attach to the lifting point eyes). Basically this creates a pair of bridles to combine the two eyes into a single lifting point and to lift this lifting point from the floor level to a level above the tubes.

Deploying the dinghy means disconnecting the two davits lines from the two lifting bridles. The lifting bridles remain in the dinghy.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bridle, davits, rib