Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 23:25   #16

Re: Boston Whaler Squall ?

some features of the Squall not yet mentioned... not really a swing keel, since no ballast, more of a sealed centerboard... and yes, it was originally equipped with a kick-up rudder (all aluminum)
- the long (pronounced) skeg make her a straight-towing dinghy and at 7 knots it towed just fine on rise of the the 2nd following wake... while a Seagull outboard could drive it at hull speed, so could 2 oarsmen (yes, there is a 2nd rowing station forward) balanced well using forward station when only 2 or 3 occupants... but with outboard ferried 5-6 adults all the time...
- yes, 125 pounds, but as a kid my mom and i could lift it off the cabintop and over the lifelines
- having turtled under sail (and easily righted) in confused seas and having rowed in/out through 3-4 foot breakers i can recommend it as a hardy tender
- i liked the 6-foot oars... tried the longer ones once; i found them to be OK in protected waters (hull-speed attained, alone,) but too long when in open seas or heavy chop...
CortezLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:49   #17

Re: Boston Whaler Squall ?

I would like to buy a Boston Whaler Squall if anybody has one for sale at a reasonable price and reasonable distance from Houston, TX. Please contact me: mackrobertson(at)yahoodotcom
mackrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:53   #18

Re: Boston Whaler Squall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertc2000 View Post
Hello Friends, I just registered with this site. Looks fasinating. I just bought a Sea Ray Sedand Bridge-30' and it came with a 9' Boston Whaler Squall sailing/rowing dink. Really fun to sail or row. I know nothing about this Squall. When were they made, etc. I will probably try to sell it and purchase another dink. It is in great shape. How do I find out it's worth.

Bert
I might want to purchase yours. I just posted looking for one. I would be interested in its condition (photos?) and shipping cost to TX. mackrobertson(at)yahoodotcom
mackrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 23:30   #19

pirate Re: Boston Whaler Squall?

Hi,

We have a Squall that is heavier than lead, so my feeling that it has a waterlogged foam core? If that is the case is there any way to drain the foam, or remove and replace it? I am considering this as an option to a Walker Bay 10, which we also own. My wife took an unexpected dunking when disembarking from our Contessa 26 after our first sail in the Contessa - not a great welcoming for a hopefully life-long sailing partner. I would think the Squall would be more stable, as it seems to have a quasi-tri-hull setup.

Your advice and thoughts are most welcome,
Thanks,
Bob and Becky
Plainfield, VT
[REDACTED]
Please send a PM if you'd like my email or private phone number.
bobat2 is offline   Reply With Quote