Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2010, 16:43   #1

Boston Whaler 110 Tender as Dinghy ?

Before anyone say anything, yes, I'm aware of the fact that it's way more expensive than a regular inflatable but on the other hand, wouldn't it be nice to have a piece of mind that you have a dinghy that may also (may that day never come!) serve as an unsinkable liferaft when the boat is gone?

On a more day to day basis advantage, it would be great not to worry about carrying pointy or sharp objects on the dinghy and not to worry about chafing either.

The only disadventage I can think of is to keep the dinghy on the boat or on davits, what do you suggest on this and do you think it would be more difficult to do so?

Best Regards,
Mehmet
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 16:50   #2

Boat: Islander 36
You're certainly not the first. The subject of dingys is well discussed in this forum.

In response to your question, I'd respond with a question. How big is your boat? The bigger the boat, the more do-able it would be.

I carry a rigid sailing dink and an inflatable very confortably on a 36' boat. Took some head scratching to sort it out, but it did sort nicely for me.
Old 18-11-2010, 16:58   #3

As a matter of fact, I'm planning to buy a new boat, 50 ft+ so oddly enough, the idea revolves around the size of the dinghy as well...
Old 18-11-2010, 16:59   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Very heavy, as for the unsinkable life raft bit, it might not sink but it certainly can flip right over.
Old 18-11-2010, 17:05   #5

True, weight is another serious concern for sure but for the flipping over part, that's also possible for an inflatable as well. From all the horror stories I've read till this day, one point is very common in most; they use the dinghy with the regular life raft and most of the time the liferaft looses it's integrity after a week or two -at which point, if I'm still alive, I'd prefer the alternate to be solid, not another "pump air all the time wonder"...
Old 18-11-2010, 17:08   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
my RIB inflatable, similar size as the whaler 110, weighs 127 lbs. The whaler weighs 424 lbs. My RIB can handle a payload of 1300 lbs. The whaler can only handle 845. The RIB is rated to handle a 20 HP engine, while the whaler is only rated for 15 hp. Despite the RIB's superiority in every category, the whaler is more expensive.

It becomes pretty clear why the vast majority of cruisers opt to go with inflatable dinks.
Old 18-11-2010, 17:17   #7

Not refusing the logic there and I also agree that a clear majority choose ribs. However, while planning for a round the world cruise and thinking of each and every pointy, sharp, chafing, accidental events that might happen, a solid boat suddenly seems like a better option to me. But on the other hand, if we're talking about a weekend or coastal usage, I agree with you on the rib 100%...
Old 18-11-2010, 17:38   #8

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
I have/enjoy my Porte-Boat. 12'8",weighs 65lbs, 6 HP 4 stroke Nissan weighs 65 lbs, capable of folding to only 4" flat. I weigh twice as much as the boat and motor and it runs max of 15mph according to GPS.
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 17:38   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
How many people will be on board? The chosen boat or inflatable should be able to hold all those aboard.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 17:49   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
I have an 11 Whaler that I put firehose around the rub rail with closed cell padding under it sort of like a self-contained fender. I have towed it all over and never worried about it... even behind my powerboat at 25kts! Just leave the plug out and it will be there in the morning!

It is too heavy for my sail boat (CAL28) and it is "mothballed" now. I'm using an inflatable behind the CAL. I am looking for a late model 9.9hp to power the inflatable.... If you have one maybe we might have a trade in the offing?
Old 18-11-2010, 17:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
True, weight is another serious concern for sure but for the flipping over part, that's also possible for an inflatable as well. ...
Last week I was in a storm about 1000 miles and less east of New York City. Winds were blowing around 50 knots, and there were many 45-foot waves, breaking. It is hard to imagine any small boat/inflatable/raft not flipping over under those conditions.
Old 18-11-2010, 19:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post

Before anyone say anything, yes, I'm aware of the fact that it's way more expensive than a regular inflatable but on the other...

The only disadventage I can think of is to keep the dinghy on the boat or on davits, what do you suggest on this and do you think it would be more difficult to do so?
So the question is not, "which dingy should I choose?", but rather how to handle and store the dingy you have chosen. Not sure why you are getting so much resistance to your choice rather than an answer to your question. If I had a 50 ft boat, I could imagine room for a Whaler and the 2 dinks I already have.

Not having a 50 ft boat or a Whaler, I can only imagine the difficulties you've already mentioned. I'm not a fan of liferafts because it seems to me to be an expensive package offering a false sense of security. But I do consider what I'd do instead, like you are here.

Due to the weight, it sounds to me like your'e likely to add more weight & expense due to strong, powerful davits unless you tow it. If none of that is unattractive to you, then go for it.

Having said that, now I'm going to go into the "I don't agree with your choice" mode. But my approach is a little different. I'd consider one of those Portland Pudgies for the double duty liferaft/play toy things simply because of the weight and the ease of getting it on deck. But I'm also a fan of a go fast dink, like your would get out of your Whaler. For that I think you're best off with something that is vulnerable to " carrying pointy or sharp objects on the dinghy and ....chafing".

What I'm saying is, think about more than 1 dink rather than 1 heavy expensive dink that might make a marginal liferaft. As liferafts go, the Portland Pudgy is supposed to be... way above marginal, and some say better than a canister liferaft. By the way, I don't have one and don't plan to buy one. Just throwing out an idea. (the Pudgey can be motored, rowed or sailed in addition to being marketed as liferaft option)

Besides having the options of playing with my sailing dingy toy or my go fast RIB toy, there are other advantages to having more than one dink aboard if you can pull it off. In this cae, you might be able to do it cheaper & lighter with 2 than you would with 1.
Old 18-11-2010, 23:10   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
... As liferafts go, the Portland Pudgy is supposed to be... way above marginal, and some say better than a canister liferaft. By the way, I don't have one and don't plan to buy one. Just throwing out an idea. (the Pudgey can be motored, rowed or sailed in addition to being marketed as liferaft option)
That sounds something like a $5000 option, not including davits or crane to haul it aboard.
Old 18-11-2010, 23:30   #14

128 lbs.

Basic boat $2,595

Portland Pudgy Safety Dinghy
The Portland Pudgy survival dinghy is a great rowboat and motorboat
Old 18-11-2010, 23:41   #15

Add it up. It's about $5000 fully equipped, and then there is shipping and taxes. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one.