Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2010, 14:26   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Having had a Boston Whaler flood and submerge on me in Poole Harbour (15hp outboard) I'm not sure I'd trust one for salvation in an abandon ship situation...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 15:18   #32

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Fortunately, I was on the 965-foot-long Norwegian Gem on a Venice, Italy to New York cruise (my fifth transatlantic trip) during those 45-foot waves and only suffered a spilled bowl of milk on my lap and a badly strained knee..
This photo was taken from deck 6.5. This wasn't the biggest wave a saw there.

S'pose recreational boats should deploy a sea anchor in such conditions.
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:43   #33

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Doc View Post
minggat,
I'm curious to know more about your setup with your ridged tender i have a 36 islander as well and I'm interested how you rigged your davits and what brand you used, to support what I'm hoping is or is at least the equivalent to an 11 foot Boston whaler (460lbs dry weight). because i have been in the same conundrum for the last few weeks due to the fact i don't like to tow my dinghy if i can help due as a result from a bad delivery experience in the past. if anyone else has any suggestions for such a set up please respond.
My avatar shows my 8' Walker Bay on the stern. My boarding ladder doubles as my davits and the stern arch does the lifting. I can bring it all the way up to 90 degrees off of te water.

There's a couple of important details left out there. But you're talking about a different animal. What kind of davits one chooses would depend entirely upong the choice of dingys. Obviously davits hope to be stout enought to handle all kinds of dinks. But my set up would not handle an 11 Boston Whaler. The Walker Bay is... what... 62 lbs?

I'm afraid that if you want to stick to your Whaler as your dink, you're gonna need a bigger boat than the one you & I have now. I will say that whatever your "bad delivery experience in the past" was, there is another one waiting for you.

I labored over the decision to take my sailing dink with me when I dropped the docklines for Mexico. A part of that labor was just carrying it it on the stern. I resigned myself that it might get sacrificed. I was lucky. I had my "go fast" inflatable on the foredeck. My next go fast will be a folding transom rib, which I intend to carry deflated on deck, along with the hard dink (for long passages) if I can make it work. I love having 2 dinks, but you have to choose them to work together. Carrying anything on the stern has it's trade offs.
Old 19-12-2010, 23:03   #34

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
The previous owner of my boat had a 12'/25hp whaler combination and a 2000# electric winch mounted on the mizzen boom to hoist it on deck. He only motored, never sailed. Two weeks ago I spent 2 days retuning the rig from that 20 year ordeal. There are always trade offs.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2010, 01:23   #35

Boat: Islander 36
I'll bet he spent that 20 years very proud of himself too.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:43   #36

Boat: Windy 26SN
Re: Boston Whaler 110 Tender as Dinghy ?

Hi all, can anyone tell how the bw 110 tender rows?
bluenosemarine is offline   Reply With Quote