Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 12:19   #91
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Boat Bikes -- Some Observations

when patricia caused a small issue for many here in mexico I learned my no longer use able basic many gears mountain bike I kept for 12 yrs before it froze thanks to Mexican loktite and electrolysis... aluminum frame ss parts errkkk..... I have learned to save deck issues--space and befouling of sheets-- by donating the frame to a volunteer with a daughter desiring a bike. works.
in new port, I buy another, and continue on. nothing to worry about being stolen and no worry about space underway. works for me. oh yeah and I do get 24 usable gears and barter credit with my off road mobility. we also encounter some rough places.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 00:20   #92

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
^^ "different bikes for different strokes..."

as with most things boat related - no single right answer.

btw Dock (and others in the enthusiasts camp) I might mention that, long long ago back when we were young, we took a 10 day bike holiday thru the French wine country (in wine picking season). There was a van that carried our luggage, the company organized the route and hotels, dinner and breakfast (5 star all the way), and we found lunch along the way in a cafe. We did not ride as a group, but made our own time as we wanted, with usually a couple route options suggested. It was mostly 50km days, with a couple 100km's (but you could do half to lunch and then ride the van if you wanted to - which Beth did on the one long hilly day - the day I won the yellow jersey ). It was the most memorable/enjoyable vacation I ever had (which is saying something). We used an outfit called Butterfield and Robertson to organize it, but it was a long time ago and I have no idea if they are still the "go-to" outfit for this.
Nice!

I've never done one of these -- all my bicycle touring was done with all my stuff in panniers, sleeping in either tents or youth hostels. This sounds much more civilized -- must try some day.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 00:38   #93

Well while we are " plugging " I will shamelessly put one in for my mates company , Basque MTB , ( as is obv ) runs out of Hondaribya on French / Spanish border , absolutely brilliant mountain bike tours , all details on t'tinternt . Btw , Doug is one of the finest off road ers I know and never wears cleats .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 08:52   #94

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Quote:
^^ you know what will likely go first on a "beginner's" first long (50 mile) ride - probably their butt before their legs lol.
This! Add to it: elbows, hands, neck and genital numbness. Even in my youth, other bits gave out WAY before the cardiovascular system or leg muscles did. Now being only 99 44/100% stock, that is missing some internal bits, I suspect my days of anything more than 20 km a day on a safety bicycle are over permanently. If I cycled more regularly, I could perhaps get that number up a bit, but any future distance work will be on my recumbent tricycle. Even that isn't a panacea, I get numb feet and very sweaty back LOL.

I'd like to get one bicycle on my Tanzer 22, but sure is difficult. I am very tall, so none of the folders are big enough, or likely strong enough. How do I pack a 27 inch frame in there somewhere LOL. I think pulling both wheels and stashing it in the vee birth when solo could work with great difficulty given the internal conditions of the boat, but when out with my wife, I don't think a bike is on. What I don't like about this plan is all the handling of a dirty chain.

Someone upthread, Dockhead perhaps, said that sailing is an on water extension of cycle touring. I very much agree. I used to cycle camp. My greatest adventure was Winnipeg to Vancouver when I was 19, plus about a half dozen each of Ottawa to Southern Ontario and Ottawa to Pembroke runs.

Boulter
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 09:16   #95
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

If you need/desire a larger frame they are available from many manufacturers
Here is one example.
https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Mount...dp/B00635KAH4#
Old 25-06-2017, 09:37   #96

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

This whole line is full (normal) sized.
https://www.montaguebikes.com/folding-bikes/
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 09:45   #97
cruiser

When space is a premium like on a boat or on public transportation, portability is spelled B r o m p t o n.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	150647  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 09:59   #98

Yes bikes are amazing taxis! You cover a lot of ground. I found while in a boat yard in "Timbuktu" how nice it is to be able to run for parts quikly also.
I prefer 20" with pedal brakes... KISS

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 10:45   #99

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

https://youtu.be/hVakicqbARA
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 13:51   #100
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Question . . . I'm thinking ahead, want to keep biking right thru winter if possible, we get light snow here and ice. I want to minimize crash potential without going super overboard or exotic . . . . Mountain bike with fat tires? If so how fat is right?
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 16:39   #101

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
*Max your tire pressure: rubber is porous and tires lose pressure...pump them to max rating for least friction before any long ride.
This is true for neoprene tubes, just as it is true for the old neoprene liferafts - they are porous and lose pressure with time. Which is why, before more modern materials, the best liferafts were made of butyl rubber instead. So get yourself to the nearest bike shop and buy some butyl rubber tubes, and pump up the tires a lot less frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
This! Add to it: elbows, hands, neck and genital numbness.
These are signs that you are not set up right, and probably have a poor seat design. Numbness can have some serious consequences if persisting. For the seat take a look at the Rido or other makes that provide support for the pelvis without putting pressure up the center. The new ergo handlebar grips (if not using drop bars) really help with the hands. And even small adjustments, particularly to the seat, can make great improvements.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 17:09   #102

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Question . . . I'm thinking ahead, want to keep biking right thru winter if possible, we get light snow here and ice. I want to minimize crash potential without going super overboard or exotic . . . . Mountain bike with fat tires? If so how fat is right?
Snow is hard to gauge because it is so variable, any knobby mountain bike tyre will be pretty good on regular winter roads (my experience in Alberta). The trick to ice is not fat tyres but studs/spikes ... get tyres embedded with carbide studs and icy roads become a whole lot less scarey ... if you don't really have that much ice, at least consider putting one on the front wheel. If you lose traction with the rear wheel you can generally recover but if you lose traction with the front you're going down for sure.
Kelkara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 17:27   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
get tyres embedded with carbide studs and icy roads become a whole lot less scarey ....
Awesome . . . Did not know those were available . . . Is there a brand to look for?

I can ride with them also on dry pavement days? Or do I need two sets of wheels?
Old 25-06-2017, 18:52   #104

Howdy folks, I've been a lurker on these forums and an aspiring cruiser. New to sailing, but a long time utility cyclist. Finally, a topic I can contribute to!

Quote:
Is there a brand to look for?
I'm a big fan of the Marathon Schwalbe Winters, especially for urban commuting, but Nokia also makes a wide range of carbide studded tires.

Quote:
I can ride with them also on dry pavement days? Or do I need two sets of wheels?
When using studded winter tires on dry pavement, the carbide studs will sink into the rubber "square" of the tire so that the rubber maintains contact (and therefore traction) with the road.

I spent years riding in NYC and now live in DC and I personally don't bother with two separate wheel sets. I'll just ride normal tires until the first big snowfall of the year, and then swap on the studded ones. I'll then just leave the studded tires on for the rest of the winter, usually until March or so - whenever I'm pretty sure the snowfall is done with.

With studded tires on dry pavement, I wouldn't recommend riding quite as fast or braking quite as hard as you might otherwise, but really that's just to avoid tearing a carbide stud out as opposed to any concerns about safety.

A great resource to read more about studded tires is Peter White Cycles: Studded Bicycle Tires
Hyenalaughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 07:06   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

again awesome thanks. BTW, I am riding close to you, out of old town Alexandria, my main ride is the trail down to Mount Vernon (set a PR today ).

Do you agree I should go just regular width mountain bike tires - or you think there is some winter benefit to fat?

One other question - for Thinwater and others with bionic knees . . . .Beth has two such knees and we are not sure what to do about pedals for her. She started with just flat pedals until she got stable on the bike - which she is now and would like better ones - I use cleats but we worry that the twisting motion (to get out of the cleat) might not be good for her knees - anyone have experience with that? The alternative is the old fashion toe cages, but I worry that will trap her foot even more if she starts to slide or tip over. Any advice pedal from those with artificial knees?

Tags
boat