Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 07:33   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Boat Bikes II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
all my bikes are disk now - terrific 2 finger braking especially when wet, and mechanically quite simple with extremely infrequent adjustment. Disks are clearly the future for road bikes.
You may be correct even though I’ve never had any problem with rim brakes, in the wet you have to plan that though.
My issue is with corrosion resistance, the brakes them selves may well be very resistant, but the cables are an issue, maybe not huge, but an issue, and they are a “mess” when folded.
If you removed the cables and levers on the handlebars, heck maybe even go back to down tube shifting, I’d like it more.
Honestly after a few thousand miles of downtube shifting, I didn’t see lever shifting as that big an upgrade myself, now indexing, that was huge, real huge.
Just small, simple and light is what I’m after, and of course quality components. None of this smashing the ends of the fork tubes and cutting drop outs nonsense. But I would want a sealed cartridge BB and sealed hubs as well.
My hubs in my tandem recumbent are the brand nuke proof and I have never had any issue with them, and of course a tandem recumbent with two aboard is a very heavy thing and hell on hubs
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:59   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You may be correct even though I’ve never had any problem with rim brakes, in the wet you have to plan that though.
My issue is with corrosion resistance, the brakes them selves may well be very resistant, but the cables are an issue, maybe not huge, but an issue, and they are a “mess” when folded.

all modern disks are hydraulic with plastic hydraulic hose - there are no cables to corrode.

Yes, they would not fold well, but personally for transport and stowage I would rather have 'very light' than 'very small' (yes it needs to be 'small enough' but with wheels off by my standard this qualifies - it may not for you). This bike I proposed could go very small - look up airport ninja bag (a backpack which airlines allow as 'not a bike') - but would take disassembly to get there - fine for once a week or month sort of job but would not want to do daily.

If you removed the cables and levers on the handlebars, heck maybe even go back to down tube shifting, I’d like it more.

Modern shifters don't use cables either. The sram axs, for instance, is wireless communication from lever to rear gears.

But I would want a sealed cartridge BB and sealed hubs as well.

there are all sorts of BB options - very different but quite good. You can get ceramic balls which would be entirely corrosion-free - there is debate about ceramic ball friction but it is about micro watt levels that would not be of concern to you.

I understand you are looking for something different than I would look for - all good - just thought I would note what I would do. I put about 8000 miles/year on my bikes
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:19   #48

Boat: Hanse 505

Forgive me if this is perceived as hijacking the thread, but has anyone considered an electric scooter? I spent last summer working in San Francisco and used one of these rentals to get around. When I test rode a few more expensive models I was amazed with how comfortable and fast they are. They fold into a small package that easily can be stowed. Would love to hear your thoughts...
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:30   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4585K View Post
Forgive me if this is perceived as hijacking the thread, but has anyone considered an electric scooter? I spent last summer working in San Francisco and used one of these rentals to get around. When I test rode a few more expensive models I was amazed with how comfortable and fast they are. They fold into a small package that easily can be stowed. Would love to hear your thoughts...
Do you recall the size and weight of the scooters? Pictures?

Speaking personally, I like biking and am still healthy enough to do so. I would be concerned by the weight of anything electric, and what to do when the battery is flat or there's an electrical breakdown.

But I know that electric bikes and scooters are coming on strong, as battery technology improves.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:35   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
But I know that electric bikes and scooters are coming on strong, as battery technology improves.
...until you burn your boat down to the waterline from a faulty charger.
fivecapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:53   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
I know this is not what DH wants (he wants folding), but if I were doing a boat bike I would get a tarmac (or Émonda) frameset, sram axs 1x drive train, with thru axles/disk brakes, with waxed KMC Ti chain - would be under 6kg, would be very light, quite small with good bags available with the wheels off, mechanically pretty simple and pretty clean (no chain grease) and rust proof, and ride like a dream.

I'm listening.

I might not insist on folding if the bike can be taken apart into a Brompton sized (or thereabouts) volume with reasonable effort. Extra light would be a big big plus.

But those are just ordinary road bike frames, right? So what you're suggesting is just take any road bike and simply take it apart?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:55   #52

Quote:
I have an ejoe. It is an electric assist, folding frame and pedals. The seat and handlebars are quick release. It comes with a rack on back.

It is a blast.

Bicycling magazine has an ad on the back pages for a bag to keep the bike rust free.
crooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:56   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:

There has been a lot of talk about that. I think some people are using them.

I have used the rental scooters in a lot of European cities.

They are not really replacements for bicyles. Can be fun and useful if you have a really smooth bike road to ride them on, or if it's allowed on the sidewalk. They are unusable on cobblestones. Would not suit my purpose. but YMMV.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 02-04-2020, 09:01   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
....but personally for transport and stowage I would rather have 'very light' than 'very small' (yes it needs to be 'small enough' but with wheels off by my standard this qualifies - it may not for you). This bike I proposed could go very small - look up airport ninja bag (a backpack which airlines allow as 'not a bike') - but would take disassembly to get there - fine for once a week or month sort of job but would not want to do daily........

I see the logic in this. Depending on the drive train, popping wheels off can be a pretty quick operation. A boat bike in my service would need to be stowable only when moving from one port to another. I wouldn't mind spending 5 minutes on taking a bike apart if the result were a LIGHT and not too bulky package. That could work.

20" wheels would be quite ok for my application. Maybe there's something even better in that form factor? Are there road bikes with 20" wheels?

Single speed would NOT do for my application. So the drivetrain is a big question. Belt and 11 speed Alfine? But then we can't pop the rear wheel off. Derailleur and we have the same old curse I'm trying to get away from. Hmmm.
Walt Whitman
Old 02-04-2020, 09:05   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The thing about a Brommie is it’s one frame choice and one size.
Until you have ridden a custom frame that was built to your measurements you don’t realize how much of a compromise a one size fits all frame is.
I see the point. On the other side I don't think with folding bikes it matters that much as they certainly don't achieve the comfort of a "normal" bike. At least one can adjust the seat post.

Only now googled for the Dahon Jetstream. Didn't know before. It really looks interesting with full suspension, can image that it runs well.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15   #56

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
20" wheels would be quite ok for my application. Maybe there's something even better in that form factor? Are there road bikes with 20" wheels?.
Of course there are ...
https://www.traditionalcycleshop.co....s-double-pylon

But more seriously ... if a separable bike is ok, then maybe look at some of the other Moultons.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:36   #57

Boat: Hanse 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Do you recall the size and weight of the scooters? Pictures?

Speaking personally, I like biking and am still healthy enough to do so. I would be concerned by the weight of anything electric, and what to do when the battery is flat or there's an electrical breakdown.
The one I test rode was called a Speedster 5. Not cheap, and definitely not the lightest one. But supremely comfortable, even on cobblestones due to its dual air spring suspension. And with an amazing range. This is not one of those cheap Xiaomi scooters and its components (including the charger) are of very high quality.

The Speedway 4 pro is half the price and weighs 35 pounds. They fold so small so taking them out of the lazarette and into the dinghy is all so much easier.

I too am young enough and fit enough to bike but storing 2 folding bikes on my Bene 46 just takes up too much space. I am based in Malta and since we don’t get the quality scooters here I am contemplating getting something shipped from the US...
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:45   #58

Boat: McGruer 33'

Have you looked at these guys ?
Airnimal | Folding Bikes

If you are considering a bike that needs a little dismantling to stow I seem to remember they have some way to break down into a neat case.
Idlegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 09:46   #59

Boat: McGruer 33'

Yes I found it what they call First Fold and 2nd Fold

The folds | Airnimal
Idlegreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:15   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
I see the point. On the other side I don't think with folding bikes it matters that much as they certainly don't achieve the comfort of a "normal" bike. At least one can adjust the seat post.

Only now googled for the Dahon Jetstream. Didn't know before. It really looks interesting with full suspension, can image that it runs well.
A bike Friday does in fact achieve the comfort and ride ability of a “normal” bike, that is exactly their niche and has been since the beginning, originally meant for and sold to the bicyclist that’s travelled specifically by airline and wanted to take their bike without it being torn up and or excessive charges, the originals broke down into a suitcase that became a trailer.

As far as suspensions, there is a reason no serious road bike has a suspension.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat