Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2017, 14:43   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Blisters in Hypalon ?

I have a WalkerBay hypalon RIB. It's maybe 10 or so years old (I am the second owner).
The dinghy lives inflated on my foredeck.
I just put it into service for this year and I am noticing a whole bunch of small blisters at the bow where the hypalon sits/touches the deck. This area is not exposed to sun.
The blisters are between about 1 mm and 5 mm in diameter and domed outward. They seem to be air filled. It looks like the outside coating of the hypalon has detached from the underlying fabric and air pressure from inside the tube is pushing the detached 'plastic' coating out to form a bubble.
Is this a normal hypalon failure mode?
Can it be fixed without a giant patch ? The total area covered is about 2 sq ft.
I have seen the occasional bubble in other areas but that is just the occasional blister. The area that I am concerned with has maybe a hundred tiny blisters.
I suspect that as these blisters fail, the leakage rate from the tubes will go up. I have no idea if the rate of leakage will really increase or if it would be a nominal increase only.
Any suggestions as to what is going on ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2017, 07:47   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Blisters in Hypalon ?

this became an issue after the patent dupont held for hypalon, their invention, was made public domain. 20 yrs after the invention and registration of patent.
it seems the recipe was slightly changed from original and now yes it bubbles. caribe had same issues for a time as well.
how do i know this info?? my dad worked for dupont and filled me in on information for a time until he died a couple of years ago. funny how chemical engineers know so much about so much.
i avoid it now unless i can find an ancient avon roll up.
no i donot know how to repair it short of patching the bubbled area with a hypalon sheet. good luck.
i row a walker bay rigid 10 ft dink.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 15:57   #3

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Jd1, did it look like this:

I pulled my dinghy out of the water after 2 weeks being left still and what a surprise my dinghy had blisters everywhere it was in contact with the water.
It is an AB rib, aluminium and hypalon. The aluminium is fine.

Anyboday has an idea what could have caused this?
Old 22-10-2019, 07:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otia View Post

I pulled my dinghy out of the water after 2 weeks being left still and what a surprise my dinghy had blisters everywhere it was in contact with the water.

the new recipe for hypalon is not the original one . it makes voids and blisters. i said this earlier but not read, obviously. dupont sold patent recipe after 20 yrs, which is the norm. now it is no longer dupont. as the recipe is different it will do odd stuff.
same pyrex when dow sold that patent to china oopsy now it blows up in folks faces. stuff happens when patents are sold. this is one of those things.
Old 22-10-2019, 07:38   #5

Boat: Bavaria, 12.3m
Send a message via Skype™ to Otia

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the new recipe for hypalon is not the original one . it makes voids and blisters. i said this earlier but not read, obviously.
Thanks for your reply Zeehag. Yes, I had read your post. Nonetheless, a lot of ppl have hypalon ribs, and AB hypalon ribs in particular are very popular, yet I haven't seen blisters like that ever. Your post is intriguing, yet it does not explain what could have caused these blisters.
Otia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 08:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

Your picture is broken or at least on my IPad.
However have you contacted AB?
Being that it was just on the surfaces that water touched has me thinking there may have been some kind of solvent spill on the water, cause I wouldn’t expect water to have an effect.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 08:27   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Now the pic link works
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 08:40   #8

Quote:
Thanks for your reply Zeehag. Yes, I had read your post. Nonetheless, a lot of ppl have hypalon ribs, and AB hypalon ribs in particular are very popular, yet I haven't seen blisters like that ever. Your post is intriguing, yet it does not explain what could have caused these blisters.

from what i have seen not all get the blisters--i have seen caribe with em and aquasport(?) with aluminum floor-- was made in 2000 or so. my caribe had a huge bubble in pontoon on top.
i think i would just not trust hypalon to not blister. if this affects air containment i would repair and publicly comment as you have done. if under warrantee replace.
best o luck.
solvent spill makes sense...
and folks wonder why i row a plastic rowboat....i gave up on all that fanciness some 9 yrs ago.

Tags
blisters