Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 04:06   #1

Boat: ARENDS MONO 34 Ft.
Best small petrol 4 stroke 3 or 4 h.p dingy outboard motors

Hi, I have a 3.5 2 stroke outboard which most of the time I cannot start even though I now use good quality 98 fuel I get it servicesed and it usually starts then next time I want to use it I'm back to no start again I have persisted with it for several years but now I think its time to just throw it away and buy a new one which in Australia must be 4 stroke so my question is which brand of 3 to 4 hp outboard would forum members recommend Thanks RJM
RJMRJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 04:34   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Best small petrol 4 stroke 3 or 4 h.p dingy outboard motors

Hi Ron, not sure what is "best".
I had a 2 HP for many years and I used a 2.5 HP Honda, nearly unbeatable in simplicity. Still have a 2HP Honda as a spare engine, if I can't be bothered to put an 15HP on the back.
I had a 3 HP (2 stroke) Yamaha, even more power, never let me down, but a tad heavier.
I have heard that Suzuki 2.5 HP engine is a good one.
Of course one can buy cheaper with Parsuns, and even cheaper other Chinese brands.
My take? 2.5 HP Honda or Suzuki, or if you need more ponies: 3HP Yamaha. Yes, on small dinghies 0.5 HP does make a difference.

I have used for several years a 5HP Yamaha (4 stroke). Very reliable and good, but too big for my boat then (also a 34 ft). If you still have the 34 ft boat, I guess there is not much need to have more power, as weight and space could be an issue.

BTW using high octane fuel does not do anything for an engine unless it is prescribed by the manufacturer. Better and cheaper to stick with petrol that has an octane 91 rating.
Old 12-06-2022, 04:45   #3

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Hankonthewater said "My take? 2.5 HP Honda or Suzuki".
I agree, went for the Suzuki because it is water cooled and thus less noisy.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 03:00   #4

HI to both of you and many thanks for your information ,I had sent a long reply 2 weeks ago to say thankyou but it went astray somewhere. As it happens I managed to get my 2 stroke going by doing what an old mechanic told me a year ago and I only now fully understood that is you have to blow out the few drops of fuel left in the bottom of the carby after you think its all empty and use a credit card as a spacer to set your spark plug gap.S o now its into the bay for a full test. RJM
Old 25-06-2022, 06:46   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The best 3-4 hp dinghy outboard is a Torqueedo.

Small 4 stroke outboards suck.

I have had three outboards since I owned this boat:

25hp Mariner two stroke

8hp Selva four stroke

3.5hp Mercury four stroke bought new.

The big two stroke was a dream. It started if you just looked at it sideways. It had an electric starter which was completely superfluous -- half a pull on the pull starter and it would spring into life, even after sitting over an entire winter. Never once had the carburetor apart; never once actually had any problem with it, although it was going on 20 years old when I got rid of it.

The Selva started reasonably well and was reasonably reliable, but had to be scrapped when it needed an impeller, and the whole bottom leg had to be destroyed to get at the water pump.

The Mercury is the worst of the worst. It never starts easily, and the little carb is clogged it seems in a week if you don't drain the fuel and sometimes even if you do. Plan on taking the carb apart and blowing out the jets any time you haven't used it for a week.

I switched to engineered alkyd fuel ("Aspen") which helped, but did not cure the problem.

What I'm thinking about now is getting rid of the Mercury resurrecting the Selva for long distance rides, and buying a Torqueedo for short distance ferry duty, which is 90% of what I do with my dinghy.

Couldn't recommend a small (less than 8-10hp) 4 stroke.

Two strokes in that size work much better, if you can find one, but if you only need 3 hp or so, just go electric, would be my advice.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 03:42   #6

Hi Dockhead,my 2 stroke Isusu which I thought I had fiixed is not fixed and reading the story of your Mercury you seem to be telling the story of my Isusu word for word and like you my use is short runs ship to shore so where do I go now Your probably correct about an electric unit for my 8 ft dingy but its a little above my price range . Most other sailors I speak to tell me how great there own outboard is whatever their brand so I must be some sort of dummy One man tells me how great his little Honda is and an outboard repair guy says he would'nt have one in a fit ?? Please help
Old 26-06-2022, 04:37   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMRJM View Post
... use a credit card as a spacer to set your spark plug gap.S o now its into the bay for a full test. RJM
The standard thickness for an ID-1 or CR80 credit card is about 0.03 inches, 30 mil, or 30 thousandths of an inch [0.76mm].
Small outboard engine spark plug gap specifications can vary between 0.018 through 0.045 thou’; though [by far] the commonest specification is 0.30 thou’ [std credit card thickness].
Many mechanics gap their plugs at the low end, of the specified range, to accommodate erosion under use, which widens the gap.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2022, 09:04   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have a mariner 3.5Hl 4 stroke i habitually add mercury engine cleaner to every fuel load. Starts every tine and idles fine as a result
Old 27-06-2022, 03:25   #9

I have been told that the old Tohatsu 2 stroke is the best of the small 3.5 HP 2 stroke motors has anybody had any experience in this area. RJM
Old 27-06-2022, 06:02   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJMRJM View Post
I have been told that the old Tohatsu 2 stroke is the best of the small 3.5 HP 2 stroke motors has anybody had any experience in this area. RJM
Tohatsu Marine Corporation [TMC], a joint venture [formed in 1988] with Brunswick, the parent company of Mercury Marine, builds all the smaller outboard engines for Tohatsu, Mercury, Evinrude, and Nissan. The only difference is the labeling, and [perhaps] price.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 06:09   #11

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yamaha 4stroke 4hp . Its 18 years old runs and looks new. Gets wintered indoors.

Merc is a Chinese motor with a Washington paint job
Evinrude is gone and their stern drives were nightmares.
Honda is a bone shaker and screwed all their marine dealers.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 06:20   #12

The little Suzuki's have the advantage of being the lightest motors in their class.

But, as others have mentioned, they're all crap. Crummy little single cylinder pieces of junk with all the smoothness of a pogo stick. Horrid little things.

If only someone would produce a small twin cylinder counterbalanced engine. Apparently, the makers have decided that there's no market for smooth engine, albeit at an increased price.

I recently got a 15hp Tohatsu for my 14 aluminum get-around boat. That engine is a dream. Smooth and quiet. Two cylinders, of course.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2022, 06:20   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Yes there is a Chinese knockoff of Yamaha and Mercury. According to this forum and folks rowing their Dinghy they stink.
I have a 70year old Paashe air brush. The guys in Chicago were helpful making a part the old doll needed. The knock off of the current product and copies of Badger Air brushes don’t run a year. The badger costs $150.00 the copy $17.50. Hard to tell apart.
My badgers brushes are 12 and 15 years old run like new no parts. Very much like Yamaha carbs.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 23:10   #14

Having read the general all around concensus of opinion that none of the small 4 stroke outboards are anything to get excited about and the 2 stroke small Tohatsu is normaly a reliable performer in the 2 stroke outboard range I have decided to give mine one last service by the Tohatsu distributor here.I confess I did feel the weight of a new one and that did have some influence on my decision so thank you to all those who offered help .RJM
Old 30-06-2022, 23:24   #15

Boat: Columbia 50

Yamahas are the best of the best, but cost it. Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke will do fine, and reasonable price. The trick is, run it out of fuel every night - turn off the stop cock or disconnect the fuel line and let the motor run until it quits. This keeps the carb clean - a modern 4 stroke sips so little fuel that the jets are tiny. Leaving fuel in the carb attracts water, then the fuel evaporates, leaving water behind, which gunks everything up.

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4 stroke, motor, outboard