Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2010, 19:36   #1

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
'Best' Magnet for Retrieval Use ?

From the "always prepared" department:

What are the best sources for magnets specifically for use in fishing ferrous stuff out of the bilge (or over the side without diving) ?

I've seen plenty of ads but suspect that there probably are some really good powerful rare earth magnets out there that would be ideal for this purpose ? If they are already set up for attaching a line to that would be even better, but not essential as one could probably epoxy them to something or even use them in a bag tied to a line.

Thanks,

-Sven
Old 08-06-2010, 20:10   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
You don't necessarily need the strongest magnet available to fish unreachable tools out of the bilge.

You could always lower an old speaker magnet on a string into the bilge and save yourself some money.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 20:26   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I took some magnets out of an old radar....they work real well.

I also made my own heavy lift magnet out of radio shack magnets sandwiched in steel plates...steel/mag/steel/mag/steel/mag/steel

I have retrieved pipe wrenches from 30+ feet of water
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 20:40   #4

Boat: Prout 46
Someone gave me what appears to be a super magnet last year. It is about 3 1/2 "X 2"X 2". It is so powerful that it not only took a crow bar to pry it off my tool chest but another pair of hands standing by so it didn't immediately re-attach itself. I pity the poor fool who gets his fingers between that bad boy and soft metal. Every nail, small tool or fastener from a radius of 2 feet eventually makes it's way to the magnet. I think it killed my cell phone and a couple of credit cards. PLEASE take it off my hands. I will ship it to you free of charge, the only problem that may arise is that the box may stick to the inside of the UPS truck. Also, don't worry about glueing a line to it. Just attach any large metal washer to a line and it will attach itself to the magnet and not come off. Seriously, give me your address and I will send it to you.
Kashmir cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 22:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir cat View Post
Seriously, give me your address and I will send it to you.
I bet it will get stuck in the steel mailbox but I can't resist your kind offer :-)

PM coming.

Thanks,

-Sven
Old 09-06-2010, 00:28   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
A line with an old fishing float and broken shackle is a useful thing to have in the cockpit. If you drop someting valuable overboad while at anchor throwing the float overboard defines the position. Searcing for an earring in weed or cloudy water after your boat has swung around at anchor is harder than it sounds.
Unfortunately most things lost overboard that are worth retrieving are non ferrous.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 03:30   #7

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!
Open up a damaged Hard Drive. Remove the magnets in there and don't put your fingers between them! Bigger Hard Drive=Bigger magnets. All kind of neat stuff in there.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:51   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
throwing the float overboard defines the position. Searcing for an earring in weed or cloudy water after your boat has swung around at anchor is harder than it sounds.
Unfortunately most things lost overboard that are worth retrieving are non ferrous.
Excellent idea and unfortunately a good point too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyprdrv View Post
Open up a damaged Hard Drive.
Hmmm, I just recycled a few. Should have thought of that instead of taking a sledge hammer to them.

Thanks,

-Sven
Old 09-06-2010, 09:38   #9

I'll second the hard drive suggestion. Other than the engine, which really shouldn't be going overboard anyways, there isn't much you can't pick up with it.
Efraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:00   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashmir cat View Post
Someone gave me what appears to be a super magnet last year. It is about 3 1/2 "X 2"X 2". It is so powerful that it not only took a crow bar to pry it off my tool chest but another pair of hands standing by so it didn't immediately re-attach itself. I pity the poor fool who gets his fingers between that bad boy and soft metal. Every nail, small tool or fastener from a radius of 2 feet eventually makes it's way to the magnet. I think it killed my cell phone and a couple of credit cards. PLEASE take it off my hands. I will ship it to you free of charge, the only problem that may arise is that the box may stick to the inside of the UPS truck. Also, don't worry about glueing a line to it. Just attach any large metal washer to a line and it will attach itself to the magnet and not come off. Seriously, give me your address and I will send it to you.
and of course, beware how close it's stowed to the compass!
Old 09-06-2010, 10:01   #11

Boat: Tartan 37 - Sea Bungalow
Send a message via Skype™ to SeaBungalow
Speaker magnet

I'll second the speaker magnet. I took one out of an old guitar amp, about 6 inches in diameter. It is pretty strong and will pick up pretty heavy objects.
SeaBungalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:09   #12

I found some very powerful magnets cheap at a army/navy surplus store. They were from the magneto on an aircraft engine.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:03   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
NASA's New Super-Magnet Is So Strong It Could Make Lab Rats Levitate

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:24   #14

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
We've seen the maglev train. Maglev (transport) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Using the magnets mentioned by Gord, anyone up for designing the maglev boat?

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote