Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2020, 12:35   #1

Autopilot installation Oceanis 34

I’m helping a friend on installing a autopilot on a beneteua oceanis 34 from 2011. I think the best way is to put a raymarine linear drive on the starboard side aft. The wall in the starboard aft cabin seems to be linear to the quadrant and there is a pin on there that seem to be the place to hook it up. Anyone with a similar boat that have some pics or insights?
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 13:36   #2

Re: Autopilot installation Oceanis 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
I’m helping a friend on installing a autopilot on a beneteua oceanis 34 from 2011. I think the best way is to put a raymarine linear drive on the starboard side aft. The wall in the starboard aft cabin seems to be linear to the quadrant and there is a pin on there that seem to be the place to hook it up. Anyone with a similar boat that have some pics or insights?

Not familiar with the boat layout, but don't bolt anything onto the quadrant unless it is designed for that purpose. If unsure you should get a tiller arm fabricated. There are a few companies who do this including Edson.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 13:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Not familiar with the boat layout, but don't bolt anything onto the quadrant unless it is designed for that purpose. If unsure you should get a tiller arm fabricated. There are a few companies who do this including Edson.
Yes indeed

Best to use s separate tiller arm for the auto pilot

https://www.jefa.com/steering/products/rackandpinion/tillerlever.htm
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 14:02   #4

Thanks. It actually looks like the jeefa tiller arm in the link posted is already pre mounted on the quadrant. My guess is that beneteua makes all boats ready for autopilot install independent of if the first owner order this feature or not. I’ll see if I can post a pic
Old 11-06-2020, 09:16   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Two things. I have a RM linear mechanical drive on my P42 and love it. Aft cabin layout so the drive is right under my bunk but cannot hear it at all.

Power draw is reasonable and the speed and response so far been great but have not been out in really nasty stuff.

Will also add my caution about attaching to the quadrant but sounds like you've got that sorted.

By the way, I upgraded to a more powerful type 2 since my 42' is at the max rating for the type 1. If your friend doesn't already have the drive I'll make him/her a deal on the type 1. Lightly used and recently overhauled.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 09:29   #6
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flod View Post
I'm not familiar with the Beneteua Oceanis 34 layout. However, I am intimately familiar with the Raymarine linear drives.

After years of screwing around with the autopilot that came with the boat I got on the Internet, downloaded the technical installation instructions and discovered that the previous owner had the autopilot installed all wrong...it wasn't even close to correct.

To begin with Raymarine (bought out Autohelm) makes two versions of the linear drive (short and long) and they have differing install measurements to consider. The long linear drive (that's what I have) requires more linear space to install than the short for full performance which can easily limit install locations.

Accurately determine which unit (long or short) you have and follow the appropriate install instructions measurements. And yes, use a tiller arm; mine is an Edson.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:06   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
To begin with Raymarine (bought out Autohelm) makes two versions of the linear drive (short and long) and they have differing install measurements to consider. The long linear drive (that's what I have) requires more linear space to install than the short for full performance which can easily limit install locations.
Well to nit pick a little, they make three versions. Type 1 short, Type 2 short, Type 2 long, the Type 2 being a more powerful unit.

I think most of the parts are identical but a stronger motor in the Type 2.

For a 34' boat the Type 1 should have more than enough power unless he needs the long version.
Old 11-06-2020, 10:09   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
After years of screwing around with the autopilot that came with the boat I got on the Internet, downloaded the technical installation instructions and discovered that the previous owner had the autopilot installed all wrong...it wasn't even close to correct.
By the way, what detail or more likely details, did the PO get wrong in the install? As you well know after dealing with it there's several things you have to get right: rudder centered with the throw of the drive, drive not hitting the rudder stops, angle of the drive in all planes to the rudder post, etc.

Fortunately the drive on my boat was professionally installed (not necessarily a guarantee of a correct install but mine was right) and it was a drop in to swap out the Type 1 for a Type 2.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:51   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
By the way, what detail or more likely details, did the PO get wrong in the install? As you well know after dealing with it there's several things you have to get right: rudder centered with the throw of the drive, drive not hitting the rudder stops, angle of the drive in all planes to the rudder post, etc.

Fortunately the drive on my boat was professionally installed (not necessarily a guarantee of a correct install but mine was right) and it was a drop in to swap out the Type 1 for a Type 2.
Trying to answer both of your posts in one. Raymarine has obviously expanded their line since I bought my boat in 2007 when there was only two linear drives.

Regarding the install: there was no tiller arm but a jury rig to the quadrant, the type 2L linear drive install location did not allow the full extension of the actuating arm, the rudder reference was not properly positioned. In a nutshell, whoever did the install wasn't reading the system requirements in choosing a location in the boat's tight canoe stern. With a lot of measuring I was able to find the one place that the type 2L linear drive would fit properly and with the help of a ABYC tech got it installed with a tiller arm.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 12:38   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Trying to answer both of your posts in one. Raymarine has obviously expanded their line since I bought my boat in 2007 when there was only two linear drives.

Regarding the install: there was no tiller arm but a jury rig to the quadrant, the type 2L linear drive install location did not allow the full extension of the actuating arm, the rudder reference was not properly positioned. In a nutshell, whoever did the install wasn't reading the system requirements in choosing a location in the boat's tight canoe stern. With a lot of measuring I was able to find the one place that the type 2L linear drive would fit properly and with the help of a ABYC tech got it installed with a tiller arm.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
I guess the AP computer setup could limit the travel of the drive arm but that install risked damaged something if the drive had been allowed to go beyond the rudder stops. Sounds like a very amateur install.

By the way, I was wrong about the models. I believe RM now offers 24V options as well.
Old 11-06-2020, 13:05   #11

Thanks for the replies. I will measure which drive unit that is the most suitable. However I think buying a to long unit is manageable since the ACU limit the travel after first commission. A to short unit would be worse...
I have a rotary drive on my boat and it could of course spin around way out of the quadrant travel if it went berserk. But as I mentioned you set the boundaries when doing commission

Tags
autopilot, installation, oceanis