Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2014, 09:20   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Anyone with a West Marine HP275 on Davits?

We have a West Marine HP275 that has served us well, first on our Catalina 22 and now on our Tayana 37. We are in the process of moving down to just one dinghy - the HP275 - and would like to store it on the davits.

Has anyone rigged a bridle system for an HP275?

I am a little uncertain where to attach the bridle to make it as secure as possible without jeopardizing the long-term life of the dinghy. There are a few lifting handles that I could use, but I am worried they might pull away from the body eventually. I could also drill through the rigid floor, but I am concerned that bouncing around on the davits, it might pull out the removable floor.

I would love to see anyone's bridle solutions, hear experiences, and entertain some ideas.
Helbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:39   #2
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Anyone with a West Marine HP275 on Davits?

There are two holes in the transom. I have stainless eyebolts there with 1/4" dyneema to a stainless ring. The bow is the problem. Probably two lifting straps (the wider the better to limit distorting the tubes) attached to the d-rings on either side, to another stainless ring. I wouldn't attach to the floor boards, but that's my opinion.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:43   #3

Oh, yes, the transom holes. That sounds like good attachment points.

Do you happen to have a photo on your blog (or that you could post) of exactly how you have the it attached at the bow?

Thanks so much for your assistance; you have some good advice.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:55   #4
RTB

I'll look, but doubt I have photos showing our lifting bridle. We don't have davits, but do lift the dink (without engine) onto the foredeck for passages. My bridle is only 3 points. The two at the transom, and one running to the center bow d-ring. When lifting, it line really digs into the tube at the bow. That's why I suggest 2 wide (3"?) straps on the bow d-rings, to distribute the load on the tubes. Hope I am making sense?

Ralph
Old 05-11-2014, 09:58   #5

You are definitely making sense. Part of the problem - and the reason I was asking for a picture - is become I am about a thousand miles away from our dinghy at the moment and cannot picture the bow of the dinghy all that well. Still, I understand what you are saying and will definitely have at it when I get to the boat in a few weeks.

Thanks for your help. If you do happen to come across a pic, please send it along.
Old 05-11-2014, 10:20   #6
RTB

Click image for larger version

Name:	dinghy.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	90942

Just make up a pair of these the right length. One for the bow, one for the stern. C-Level Lifting Sling

Ralph
Old 06-11-2014, 14:19   #7

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

Can I use my towing bridle rings near the bow for hoisting my dinghy in conjunction with U-bolts in the stern transom?
atexasex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 14:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atexasex View Post
Can I use my towing bridle rings near the bow for hoisting my dinghy in conjunction with U-bolts in the stern transom?
All summer we used the center towing ring to lift the dinghy up onto the deck using our halyard without a problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 14:53   #9

Boat: 45' Aft Cabin Motor yacht

I took a 1" diameter SS pipe and spanned the width of the dinght. I attached hangars (e/f below) with a turnbuckle and a caribiner to each eye that is attached to the side of the dinghy.

Item E/F in picture below

k9medic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, marine