Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 09:00   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40
Anyone using True Kit inflatable dinghys

If you have any experience with True Kit's dinghys please chime in. I'm most interested in your experience of their build quality and ride quality.

True Kit's combination of cost, light weight and warranty caught my eye. I have zero relationship with the company and know virtually nothing about them. Here's one model and size I'm considering:

The 3.5 meter (11.5') Navigator Yacht Tender costs $2500 delivered to the US East Coast, weighs 34 kg (75 lb), has 700 kg (1540 lb) capacity and is rated for engines from 10 - 15 hp.

The material is described as premium, German made Valmex fabric. All seams are thermo-welded. There is a 5 year warranty.

Technically these are catamarans in that the side tubes are prominent below the floor. But, the floor is only a few inches above the tubes. When loaded this is more like a flat bottom dinghy. I imagine you will feel every ripple.

Thank you.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 20:45   #2

Re: Anyone using True Kit inflatable dinghys

I bought a truekit discovery few weeks ago. I was actually looking at Takacat when I found about truekit and found it to be a better value due to the fabric and the testing videos on youtube. During the buying process my questions were answered by the founder of the company Rod Dawson. The discovery is definitely well constructed and it feels pretty solid after its inflated. I haven't bought an inflation pump so I used the hand pump that came with the boat and that was almost a workout :-). I've only taken it on a small lake a 2-3 times with an electric outboard and so far its been a good experience. I didn't really feel any ripples.
cc1hulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2020, 00:18   #3

Boat: Outremer 55L

We have a 3.3m Discovery and the main reason we love it is the open bow for easy entry from the water. Check out this other thread for ours and others experience with the TrueKit.

Takacat tender for cruising boats
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=239805

The floor is sufficiently raised that we don’t notice ripples. But the ride isn’t as smooth in waves as with a rigid V hull; the TrueKit rides on top and requires throttle work to avoid air time in larger chop and waves. The trade offs are worth it for us.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 23:18   #4

I bought one and though it is great with our electric motor, in any reasonable chop it is a wet and bumpy ride.
Anchor Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 23:31   #5

Boat: Armstrong 42' Catamaran

Hi
I've had a True Kit Navigator 300 since 2017 and love it.
I have to pump it about once a year. Used with a 2 HP yamaha. It had the wheels and manages our stony beach and steep ramp quite well. With the wide bow is quite stable when boarding.

https://www.youtube.com/user/eyes333333
Kiwi Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 02:41   #6

Location: House in Evergreen, CO; boat in Bremerton, Washington
Boat: Morris 44 Ocean Series

I have the Navigator 300 with a 2 hp Honda and like it a lot. It’s light and easy to haul on the beach but we have the flip down wheels for low tide landings. Don’t expect to fold the boat up again to fit into the canvas bag for storage! I deflate it in the off season and just put a strap around it.
Sailing fair isle has a video of their dinghy test and also a one year evaluation… Dinghy

They lost their seat, which is easy to do when retrieving or launching off the bow. I put a lanyard on my seats after nearly losing them.
I also bought two of their kayaks that have since been discontinued. I use them all the time. The two person kayak stays on the boat and the single is at home for the lake nearby.
Not a spy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, inflatable