Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 03:18   #31

Re: Antique/Vintage Grumman Dinghy - Value?

Does anyone know how the rising is supposed to be laid out?
There is only one block, it's on the bow, I assume for the halyard.
There are no cleats or any other way to tie off the lines.
I'm also missing the rudder and dagger board.
Any help would be appreciated.
cavsvet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 02:03   #32

I have one of these small yet amazing sailing dinghys. I found an original brochure on ebay, and snagged it for the specs.
Grumman called it the "Big-Little-One". From the spec sheet; " Use this 'Big Little One' if you want the best in dinghies. 83 pounds - 8-1/2 feet of rugged dependability as a smart one-design sailboat, yacht tender or lifeboat. This GRUMMAN boasts big carrying capacity - an exceptionally easy rower. Anyway used, you get the benfit of the finest example of metal craftsmanship in the aluminum boat field. This is a rare combination of Phil Rhodes design and famed GRUMMAN construction . . . ready to go whenever you are. First choice among prime cruiser builders as a tender' . . .
Here's the base price, plus what you could order with it (from the brochure also) Prices - standard rowing dinghy ---$335, Add daggerboard trunk for sailing --- $25. Add 44 sq. ft. lug rig sail - - - $25. Add 50 sq. ft. G-class Sail Rig - - - $157.50. Add Floorboards - - - $23. Add Tailored canvas cover - - - $22.00. Add Drain - - - $3.00. Add Shipping carton - - - $15.00.
Specifications; Length 103-1/2 ". Max Beam 50" over fenders. Transom width 36-1/2 ". Weight 83 lbs. Max H.P. recom. 3Hp. Depth; Bow 22-1/2", Center 19", Stern 15". There is no year on the brochure, but I believe these were made '59 to '64 more or less.
As far as value, I consider them priceless. As many of you have noticed, the craftsmanship is astounding. I've sailed this boat, and I am 250lbs. She skips across the water like a sand dollar ! Can come about 180 deg. in 16 feet.
I got mine without any sail rigging/gear, so I pieced it all together, or fabricated it. I made 2 dagger boards, an aluminum short one for shallow draft sailing in a mild wind, and a heavier iron daggerboard for strong winds/deep water. I used a British made 17' mast, (rigged as a catboat), with a forestay and two shrouds, port and starboard. The brochure shows the main sheet rigged from two blocks in the stern corners (the triangle configuration). That's my next project, to match the brochure. I used a scrap of dacron and made a sail. My rudder is also made from 1/2" plate aluminum, custom.
I got a set of oars also, as rowing in this boat is sheer heaven. Imagine owning a dinghy with lines arguably better than the wooden lapstrake boats of years past, that can withstand water and sun .. . forever.
grummanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 14:50   #33

Well, here she is. I'm not sure why the pic posts sideways.

Anyway, the sail is original, had it restitched at Doyle's loft in Chicago.
Built the tiller and rudder from oak, the dagger board is PVC sheet.
New lines and some modern hardware (small blocks and jam cleats) and she's ready to sail.

I hope.

Now if Illinois wasn't such a headache to deal with, I might be able to take it somewhere. Trying to get the trailer titled and registered (home made or purchased without a title) is a huge pain in the neck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	little runaway 3.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	416.0 KB
ID:	149318  
cavsvet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 09:00   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Very nice.
Old 13-11-2020, 15:59   #35
wbd

Re: Grumman Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSailor View Post
Hello Jeff, Do you still have the Grumman? I'm on my second restoration (first boat was crushed by a falling tree) and always on the lookout for another one. They are pretty rare, but not all in great shape. Salt water boats took the worst beating, but even fresh water boats can have significant corrosion. They can also get pretty dented up which is difficult to do much about. Restoring old aluminum is pretty painstaking, but it can be done (not sure how to attach an image to this forum).

I also have a copy of the original brochure for these dinghies if anyone is interested.

Do you have pictures of it?

Bob
Hi, I would love to have a copy of your Grummany Dinghy manual. I was lucky enough to find 2 within 2 weeks of each other last year. I kept one and have done some work to it, but would love a pdf of the manual for proper reference.
wbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 14:24   #36

Re: Grumman Dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSailor View Post
Hello Jeff, Do you still have the Grumman? I'm on my second restoration (first boat was crushed by a falling tree) and always on the lookout for another one. They are pretty rare, but not all in great shape. Salt water boats took the worst beating, but even fresh water boats can have significant corrosion. They can also get pretty dented up which is difficult to do much about. Restoring old aluminum is pretty painstaking, but it can be done (not sure how to attach an image to this forum).

I also have a copy of the original brochure for these dinghies if anyone is interested.

Do you have pictures of it?

Bob
I am rehabbing a Grumman dingy, need specs to rig it. Could I get a copy of the brochure, if you still have it? Thanks, Laurel, 1-970-903-1903
laurel shelton is offline   Reply With Quote