Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 06:37   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 18
Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had received a rib dinghy delivered if so how was it packed/folded ? Or has anybody sold and sent a ribbed dinghy ? I found a good deal on a used caribe 9 ft but will need it shipped any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I canít unhinge shipping will be cheap but if it could somehow be deflated and folded onto the hull it might cut down costs.
Rogsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:49   #2
Marine Service Provider
 
Stephan's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New England
Boat: Lagoon 380S
Posts: 43
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogsails View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had received a rib dinghy delivered if so how was it packed/folded ? Or has anybody sold and sent a ribbed dinghy ? I found a good deal on a used caribe 9 ft but will need it shipped any advice would be greatly appreciated. As I canít unhinge shipping will be cheap but if it could somehow be deflated and folded onto the hull it might cut down costs.
There really is nothing inexpensive about shipping a RIB, which has to move by Truck Freight.

You do not say where the RIB is located, nor do you mention the destination address. Maybe there are lower-priced options on a regional basis. Private transport.

For best transportation price with a commercial carrier, a RIB needs to be packed down tight, then it needs to be boxed and then it needs to be banded to a forkliftable shipping pallet cut to size.
National Motor Freight Classification [NMFC] no longer lets a RIB move as KD "knocked down", it is classified based on cube & density (space it consumes on a truck). So depending on where the RIB is and where it needs to go, it may be much more than you factored in for this deal.

Stephan
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 07:17   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 18
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan View Post
There really is nothing inexpensive about shipping a RIB, which has to move by Truck Freight.

You do not say where the RIB is located, nor do you mention the destination address. Maybe there are lower-priced options on a regional basis. Private transport.

For best transportation price with a commercial carrier, a RIB needs to be packed down tight, then it needs to be boxed and then it needs to be banded to a forkliftable shipping pallet cut to size.
National Motor Freight Classification [NMFC] no longer lets a RIB move as KD "knocked down", it is classified based on cube & density (space it consumes on a truck). So depending on where the RIB is and where it needs to go, it may be much more than you factored in for this deal.

Stephan
Ok thanks for the reply, in your experience can the pontoons be safely folded onto the hull ? I was planning on using uShip the shippers often arenít as fussy with having items on pallets etc. So my main concern is whatís possible with reducing the size to as small as possible.
Rogsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 07:46   #4
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 3,842
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

When we bought our (3.1m) RIB it was delivered to the marina in a pickup truck as packed by the manufacturer. Big cardboard box with plywood bottom. Tubes appeared to have been vacuumed to get minimum size. Folded into hull neatly. All "accessories" packed into hull as well.

Pulled out of box, inflated, launched, and away we went.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 08:11   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: canada
Posts: 3,554
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

On a boat trailer?...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 08:29   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 18
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
When we bought our (3.1m) RIB it was delivered to the marina in a pickup truck as packed by the manufacturer. Big cardboard box with plywood bottom. Tubes appeared to have been vacuumed to get minimum size. Folded into hull neatly. All "accessories" packed into hull as well.

Pulled out of box, inflated, launched, and away we went.
Thanks thatís exactly the information I was looking for regarding folding the tubes to the hull.
Rogsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 13:29   #7
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 21,246
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

Disinflating the tubes, sucking them out, is what we do every time we go on passage, to make a smaller footprint on deck. Over time, it creates wear places on the tube material, but just once, for shipping should not be a problem at all. And the plywood bottom of the "box" can be slid around on a truck.

Ann
__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.
JPA Cate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 13:38   #8
Registered User
 
Dsanduril's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Petersburg, AK
Boat: Outremer 50S
Posts: 3,842
Re: Advice needed - Shipping a rib dinghy.

Our RIB is 10’2” x 5’8” when fully inflated and it easily fit in a standard pickup bed (4’ x 8’) with room to spare while inside its box. So, yes, you can save a fair amount of volume by deflating and folding for shipping. If I had to guess I’d say it was about 7.5’ x 3’ x 2.5’ packaged up.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dinghy, rib, shipping

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice Needed Shipping Personal Effects to Caribbean from Canada All is found Liveaboard's Forum 12 21-08-2017 15:15
Want To Buy: NEEDED! RIB Dinghy and motor...soon! paccrest Classifieds Archive 1 18-01-2014 13:53
Checking Shipping / Forwarding Company for Boat Shipping pred02 Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 0 05-05-2011 07:28
Small RIB vs larger non-RIB skipmac Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy 39 07-03-2011 19:08

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 16:12.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.