Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 18:43   #1

Boat: searching...
AB Lamina Ultra Light Series

Hi Folks,

thanks for the advice here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ean-77820.html

Most probably I will go with an AB Lamina (Aluminium Hull), 9'1 or 9'5 length. I was actually thinking of going shorter but some post here convinced me to go as long as possible - or in my case the weight for the davits.

- Has someone of you experience with the Lamina Ultra light Series?
The bow looks a bit lower than the traditional Lamina - assume not a good thing in such a light dink. On the other hand is amazingly light and I like the fact the Hull is not even painted...
cheers Marco
swisscraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 16:18   #2

Re: AB Lamina Ultra Light Series

Folks,

since I had no replay I write my own :-)

I bought a 9ft AB Lamina with a 9.8 HP 2 Stroke Tohatsu - I did not went with the Ultra Light for two reasons - the bow is not that high and I like the double floor with the "bilge compartment". It really stays dry. Yes longer would be better but since I have a staysail there was no space. I wish the Lamina would also come with unpainted Aluminum since the color is really suffering fast. Another small point is the drain plug - is leaking a bit but I may get this under control.

Nevertheless. the dink is a breeze. It cuts waves like a knife, I did today alone (75kg - 166 pounds) almost 20 knots in not so calm water. We still glide with two of us. If I had the choice again I would do it again. I love it!

PS. There is a new Version of the Lamina - still has a double floor but the floor is not closed anymore since they had a water trap issue. As well the newer version has just one stringer instead of two - take care you get the new one or at least a nice discount. Just in case.
Old 27-09-2012, 08:07   #3

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hi Marco,

How are you liking your Lamina? We're shopping for a new dink, and the AB Lamina 9.5AL and the Walker Bay Superlight 310 SLRX are on our short list. We are also looking at either the Tohatsu 9.8 or Yamaha 9.9 to power it. Is your new dink holding up well? How about the Tohatsu? I'm loyal to Yamaha, but there may be a big enough price difference to go with the Tohatsu!

Thanks,

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 09:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Hi Marco,

How are you liking your Lamina? We're shopping for a new dink, and the AB Lamina 9.5AL and the Walker Bay Superlight 310 SLRX are on our short list. We are also looking at either the Tohatsu 9.8 or Yamaha 9.9 to power it. Is your new dink holding up well? How about the Tohatsu? I'm loyal to Yamaha, but there may be a big enough price difference to go with the Tohatsu!

Thanks,

Frank
Hi Frank,

no change in opinion - still think is one of the best buys I made so far. Nothing to complain. And yes, if I would go again (and had the space on the foredeck) I would go the 9.5AL as well instead the 9 as the bigger tubes and a bit more length makes sense. The engine is flawless. A cruiser next to me runs this "combo" for three or more years now and he says as well perfect....

I do not know why, but it looks all the newer dinks down here are more AB's than any other brand....

Two Things I would think about:
I saw the same dink in unpainted Aluminium somewhere in St. Lucia. Besides the fact that I think it looked great it would be better in any case as it would not scratch any paint when you misuse it - and you will
If there is a special order possible for that - do it!

Another thing I would check/test: When I step in the dink, the double floor sometimes bends a bit in the middle - it looks like it not lays 100% perfect on a stringer below. Its not an issue and I have been ensured thats less than 2mm move is due construction tolerance. But when you pick up you dink just test that.

Good Luck!
Old 27-09-2012, 10:16   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Marco,

Great blog. I followed the link looking for pictures of your AB dinghy, but found much more than that. Very entertaining.

Best regards,

Chris
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 10:24   #6

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

We bought the 8.5 ft AB Lamina AL 4 years ago and it had been great. Wanted the small size and low weight since we store it on deck. I barely weighs more than a 6hp outboard. Saved $$$ and maintenance issues by not getting davits. Nice large tubes, heavy duty, stable and good payload. Worth the extra $$. Salk hardware in Rhode Island had the best prices I could find in the USA as they buy containers of them directly from the manufacturer. 5 year warranty as I recall.

Only drawback so fr is the sockets for the orar locks are not glued well making rowing spongey and difficult.

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2012, 10:52   #7

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisscraft View Post
Hi Frank,

no change in opinion - still think is one of the best buys I made so far. Nothing to complain. And yes, if I would go again (and had the space on the foredeck) I would go the 9.5AL as well instead the 9 as the bigger tubes and a bit more length makes sense. The engine is flawless. A cruiser next to me runs this "combo" for three or more years now and he says as well perfect....

I do not know why, but it looks all the newer dinks down here are more AB's than any other brand....

Two Things I would think about:
I saw the same dink in unpainted Aluminium somewhere in St. Lucia. Besides the fact that I think it looked great it would be better in any case as it would not scratch any paint when you misuse it - and you will
If there is a special order possible for that - do it!

Another thing I would check/test: When I step in the dink, the double floor sometimes bends a bit in the middle - it looks like it not lays 100% perfect on a stringer below. Its not an issue and I have been ensured thats less than 2mm move is due construction tolerance. But when you pick up you dink just test that.

Good Luck!
Great info, thanks! I hope they have one at the boat show">Annapolis boat show next weekend for us to look at for a final decision!

And +1 on Ti' Punch's compliments on your blog- I did the same thing and had the same opinion!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 17:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTwilight View Post
We bought the 8.5 ft AB Lamina AL 4 years ago and it had been great. Wanted the small size and low weight since we store it on deck. I barely weighs more than a 6hp outboard. Saved $$$ and maintenance issues by not getting davits. Nice large tubes, heavy duty, stable and good payload. Worth the extra $$. Salk hardware in Rhode Island had the best prices I could find in the USA as they buy containers of them directly from the manufacturer. 5 year warranty as I recall.

Only drawback so fr is the sockets for the orar locks are not glued well making rowing spongey and difficult.

Todd
Todd - quick question for you - will yours plane with 2 people and the 6hp? I'm thinking of moving up to the rigid (have a full inflatable now) and want to keep the same motor (6hp) but would like to be able to plane with 2 people (ours currently will with one no problem, but not quite with 2).
Thanks,
Kevin
mayday12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:08   #9

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayday12 View Post
Todd - quick question for you - will yours plane with 2 people and the 6hp? I'm thinking of moving up to the rigid (have a full inflatable now) and want to keep the same motor (6hp) but would like to be able to plane with 2 people (ours currently will with one no problem, but not quite with 2).
Thanks,
Kevin

Hi Kevin, I have a 4hp on mine that will plane with one. I expect it would plane with two with a 6hp and I have been considering changing to one.

Todd
SVTwilight is offline   Reply With Quote