Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 09:26   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
AB 10 UL Aluminum RIB?

HI all;

Could anyone out there with a 10 foot AB aluminum rib, the ultralight version, comment on the boat? I am very interested in how wet/dry it is, as the bow has much less rise then the AL version.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:59   #2

Re: AB 10 UL Aluminum RIB?

I'm curious myself - I've convinced myself I "need" a new dingy, and unless someone can convince me otherwise, our boat show is in 4 days , and a 9' is the plan (although crikey you'd think they were made by Yanmar by how expensive they are!).
mayday12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:40   #3

I love my new AB Lamina 10! With a 15hp Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke motor, my teenager kids can wake board. Putting the fuel tank under the bow seat is also a big plus along with the floor. Best $4000 I ever spent!

Salty Ginger,
Antigua BWI
ameliaalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29   #4
Marine Service Provider

Salty,

It sounds like you have the "regular", or AL version. I am interested in findingf more about the UL, or "Ultralight" 10 footer. The Lamina is a nice boat, but the UL version might be a better fit for us, if it is reasonably dry.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameliaalex View Post
I love my new AB Lamina 10! With a 15hp Yamaha Enduro 2-stroke motor, my teenager kids can wake board. Putting the fuel tank under the bow seat is also a big plus along with the floor. Best $4000 I ever spent!

Salty Ginger,
Antigua BWI
Old 06-02-2013, 05:09   #5

Boat: gozzard 44

When I bought my glass AB they were made in Venezuela, now I think, they're produced in Columbia so don't know if the specs have been changed. I compared aluminum with fiberglass and found for a 20 lb. weight savings the aluminum model was $1000 more. By the way, very satisfied with the AB.

Ronbo
ronbo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 05:24   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I think mikepmtl has one....
Old 19-02-2013, 15:39   #7
Marine Service Provider

Made our choice!

Hi all, I thought I would update the thread, as we have pulled the trigger on a new dingy. We have ordered a AB Lamina 9.5 AL. We "Discovered" that with the boat completely deflated, we should be able to put it upside down and thwartships, right behind the mast. The side decks will still be clear.

When in protected waters, we will tow the dingy, with the engine on the stern, something we have done many times with our current dingy.

In comparing all of the options, it finally struck us that there are essentially a "light" and "regular" versions of both fiberglass, and aluminum AB dingies. The big difference being that the "regular" versions have a much deeper bow section, a vee shape deeper throughout the full length of the hull, raised forward tubes, and a bow locker. The "Light" versions of both Fiberglass and Aluminum both have much flatter hull profiles, and no bow locker.

So to us, the 9.5 AL is only 6 inches shorter then the 10 foot Ultralight, weighs the same at 95 lbs, and has a bow locker to boot. It is also rated for a 15hp engine, the UL is rated for a 10hp. Comparing the Aluminum 9.5 AL to the 9 VL (Fibrerglass), the AL weighs 95 lbs, and the VL weighs 47lbs more!!!

I do think that the "Light" version of the fiberglass dingy has a bit fuller hull then the "Ultralight" aluminum, but it does not look to be a big difference. I think that the 9.5 AL will be much drier, and a better performing boat then the 10 UL. The only downside is that it costs more. The local dealer here in Oriental gave us a good deal, so we are happy, and look forward to receiving the boat sometime next week. I am an "EX" marine photographer, and look forward to having a dingy that I can shoot from, and I hope that the 9.5 AL will do the trick.

I will take some photos when it arrives.

Chris
Old 19-02-2013, 20:23   #8

We got the 11 AB AL towards the end of last season. We really like it. This replaced a 12+ year Zodiac Yacht Line.
I think you will be happy with your choice.

Gongrats
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 20:35   #9

Boat: Island Packet 37 - Finistere
I have an AB 9.5 light weight fiberglass dinghy. Talked to the dealer about getting an aluminum ultra light, he advised me against indicating it was hard to handle, did not track well, rode to high in the water. Kept my original although I would have liked to save the weight.
Finistere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:39   #10

Boat: Lagoon 500

Chris,

Thanks for the info about your purchase. I'm wondering, a month on, how's it's turning out. We're planning to purchase either an 8'3" AB UL aluminum or 8'6" AB regular aluminum, but have heard people complain about the interior floor paint starting to flake and powder relatively quickly. I have kids, and the last thing I need is for them to track that stuff all over the deck. Have you had any experience with this? Is your floor painted or bare aluminum?

Paul
paulbennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 18:49   #11

We got our AL not painted.
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 20:18   #12

Boat: Aries 32

Not quite what you're asking, but after looking hard at the AB I ended up buying an Achilles for the folding transom. Achilles Inflatable Crafts

Very happy with it and a 15HP Yamaha, and it stores very compact - for a RIB.
Dustymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2013, 07:32   #13
Marine Service Provider

We insisted on an unpainted hull for this reason. We really like the dink sofar. The bow locker is nice, but the lid is attached with two stainless hinges without any corrosion protection. We will have to remedy that ourselves. It came with the bow cushion, which I thought was going to be extra, but it is white vinyl - and shows all the dirt, as it gets stepped on constantly. Grey would have been a better choice.
Old 17-04-2013, 10:10   #14
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

No comment re AB, but I have an AquaPro aluminium RIB, one from when they were still made in NZ. The RIB gets a lot of abuse, and muddy feet, gravel, stones, the Paint hasnt budged, anywhere.

But I do understand the Chinese built ones gave a lot of trouble with paint flaking off.

Aluminium RIBS I find tend to very bow light and can be scary in a head sea with strong winds. I have a Selva ABS rotomoulded RIB , which is easily the lightest biggest RIB Ive every owned ( no longer made), its very scary in a head sea!

Dave
Old 17-04-2013, 11:43   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I have the AB fiberglass Light 9.5 and its good.
Yes, the bow locker of the heavier would be nice but one doesn't keep anything in there anyway. Junk just slithers around the floor and no one would keep valuables in there. Even so make sure you have a good padlock for it.

And a 15 hp donk!

I haven't heard any real ( or even imagined) complaints about AB dinghies. I'm sure some must have died in the ass, but all the news I ever hear is good.

Also make sure you can padlock the bloody fuel tank to the boat! There's a spate of tank robberies here. How cheap can someone get. Lol

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rib