Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 15:02   #1

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
A Rubber Query

No, not THAT kinda rubber!

We have a pair of Nikon 10x30 stabilized binoculars and find them quite useful. They're about five years old or so and still work just fine, despite not being waterproof. But, the rubber cladding on them has steadily degraded, starting after only about a year's heavy usage. It seems to have become nearly water soluble... that is, when the humidity is high or your hands are sweaty the rubber softens, becomes gummy and actually erodes off of the body of the binocs. We've resorted to dusting them with talcum powder, but that's not a very nice solution to the problem... looks weird, too!

So, my question is: has anyone found a way to improve this situation? Perhaps a product that one could re-coat with, or something that would stabilize the remaining original rubber? I'll be grateful for constructive advice.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-12-2011, 16:18   #2

Re: A rubber query

Maybe try Armourall, or a similar protective product for plastic? Might make them a little slippery though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 16:27   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: A rubber query

Don't know if it would work but you could grind up/grate some car tire material and start coating the sticky spots until it absorbs all the goo, making a new grip.
I would contact Nikon and see what they say. You might even get a new set of grips.
Old 03-12-2011, 16:54   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: A Rubber Query

Maybe a pair of chaps like on pvc dinks.
Old 03-12-2011, 18:18   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
No, not THAT kinda rubber!

We have a pair of Nikon 10x30 stabilized binoculars and find them quite useful. They're about five years old or so and still work just fine, despite not being waterproof. But, the rubber cladding on them has steadily degraded, starting after only about a year's heavy usage. It seems to have become nearly water soluble... that is, when the humidity is high or your hands are sweaty the rubber softens, becomes gummy and actually erodes off of the body of the binocs. We've resorted to dusting them with talcum powder, but that's not a very nice solution to the problem... looks weird, too!

So, my question is: has anyone found a way to improve this situation? Perhaps a product that one could re-coat with, or something that would stabilize the remaining original rubber? I'll be grateful for constructive advice.

Cheers,

Jim
Ooops!

Just to be fair about it, they are Canon binocs, not Nikon. Must have been wishful thinking on my part!
anyway, thanks for the ideas... any more out there?

Jim
Old 03-12-2011, 18:22   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Jim, have you contacted Canon Service dept. They may have an answer for you.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 18:28   #7
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ooops!

Just to be fair about it, they are Canon binocs, not Nikon. Must have been wishful thinking on my part!
anyway, thanks for the ideas... any more out there?

Jim
And there was I thinking "how can I get a set of Nikon stabilized binocs", oh well....

As for your problem, I can't think of anything that could help - sorry.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:51   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41

Two ideas neither of them tested 1) truck bed liner paint and 2) https://www.getflexseal.com/?tag=im|...a_bid=a4cc8494 I was thinking of using the second for my hunting waders.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:07   #9

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Our Canon 10x30's have done the exact same thing. It started about a year after getting them and we finally sent them back to Canon a few weeks ago with a warrantee claim. They replaced them under warrantee. They are two years old and the Canon warrantee is three years.

We had the same model of binocular for 10 years previous to this pair and the problem with the rubber never happened. The last pair was often in the direct sun and spray, but this pair is rarely outside a shaded protected enclosure (different boats).

I think they had a manufacturing or formulation change over the years.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rubber