Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2013, 13:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
9.9 vs. 15hp 4s for new 9.5' AL AB Dingy

Hi all,

We just took delivery of a new 9.5' Aluminum AB dingy. We currently have a 15hp 2-stroke Johnson, that runs great, but for a variety of reasons, we are considering moving to a 4-stroke.

We are looking at two motors, both Yamaha. The 9.9 weighs in at 87lbs, and the 15hp at 111.

The dingy has a nice, pronouced deep bow, and does not flatten in the back like some other dingys (which is one of the reasons we bought it). It weighs 95lbs stripped.

We are full-time cruisers. I would jump at the 9.9, as it would use less gas, and is lighter, but how I am unsure how it will perform with two people, three people, or two people, full diesel and water jugs, and groceries.

The "recommended" engine is a 8hp, and max is 15hp.

Any thoughts???

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 14:07   #2

Re: 9.9 vs. 15hp 4s for new 9.5' AL AB Dingy

Somebody with the exact model will have to help you as all these dinks are different when it comes to larger loads getting on the plane. My favorite engine was a 2 stroke Yami 15hp, light and peppy.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 14:51   #3

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Do not use Horsepower rating to determine what engine to put on you dighy... There is a maximum engine weight for the transom, which should be listed on the data plate.

I purchaced a dinghy once that indicated it was good up to a 15 hp engine, but only had a maximum transom weight of 100 pounds. Of course most 4-Stroke 15 hp outbords weight in the neighborhood of 112-115 pounds.

My 15 hp 4-Stroke made the dinghy sit too low in low in the water and would take waterover the transom if you came to a quick stop. I ended up selling the other dighy and bought an Achilles RIB, which could handle the engine weight.

As for the 4-Stroke... We have a Yamaha 15 hp 4-Stroke, which has performed well during the last 2.5 years of cruising. Gas mileage is about 30-40% better than 2-Strokes. I reduced the size of our inboard fuel tank from 5 to 3 gallons because of the engine's improved fuel mileage. It also starts always, with no fouled plugs.

You are located in the US and they are slowly banning 2-Strokes, which means you may have trouble obtianing parts or service at some point if NC goes that way.

In my opinion, go with the biggest outboard your dinghy will handle, you may not use the HP all the time, but will be happy when you need it.

As far as 2 or 4 Stroke.... In my opinion, 4-Stroke is more reliable and fuel efficient. A 2-Stroke is only desirable for weight reduction.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 16:00   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

There is a fellow Wauquiez owner that has that exact dingy and 15hp engine. The boat is somewhat overpowered, in that he can almost flip it by going wide open from a dead stop. Other than that he really likes it. PM me if you want his contact info (I will see him in San Diego tomorrow).
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 16:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

We are already sold on the benefits of 4-stroke, that is why we are considering the switch. I just want to know how it would perform with a 9.9, but unless I can find somebody that has one willing to let us try, it is just guesswork I think.

One dingy repair pro I talked to at one point mentioned that he would use a smaller engine, and attach trim tabs to extend the waterline.

Humm....

Chris
Old 15-03-2013, 06:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

Anyone with a 9.9 4-stroke in Oriental, NC that would let us try it out on our boat???

Chris
Old 15-03-2013, 07:18   #7
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Hi Chris a dink needs a big engine.

I would hold onto the 2 Stroke as it will be half the weight of a 4 Stroke.

I have a 9.9 and am desperately trying to rob a bank to buy a 15 hp.

Dnt toss they 2 stroke in a country where you can't buy them!!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 08:46   #8
Marine Service Provider

Hey Mark, thanks for chiming in. Is your 9.9 a 2 or 4 stroke? I read somewhere that there is a difference in how the HP ratings have been done over the years. I am just wondering (wishing??) out loud that a new 9.9hp 4-stroke would perform in a similar way to our 2005 15hp 2 stroke would, or at least similar enough to be ok with it. Maybe I am just dreaming...

What is the size/weight of your dink???

...Moving back aboard today!!!!!

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi Chris a dink needs a big engine.

I would hold onto the 2 Stroke as it will be half the weight of a 4 Stroke.

I have a 9.9 and am desperately trying to rob a bank to buy a 15 hp.

Dnt toss they 2 stroke in a country where you can't buy them!!

Mark
Old 15-03-2013, 08:58   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Try the 15 you have first, with 2, 3, and 4 people aboard. then decide if you can do with less power.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 09:07   #10

I had a 15 hp (2 stroke) Yamaha on an AB deluxe RIB. The RIB was heavy, 130 lbs if I remember right with the double floor and storage compartment. The 15 was about right on that. I later had the 15 hp on a 9ft AB. Too much for that boat. I think I would go with the 9 HP if I was you , it should get you up on plane fine with 2 and groceries etc. If your Evinrude is fine... why not just keep it? Are none of the 4 stroke models out there the same weight 10 & 15 hp like they used to be?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 10:11   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Hey Mark, thanks for chiming in. Is your 9.9 a 2 or 4 stroke? I read somewhere that there is a difference in how the HP ratings have been done over the years. I am just wondering (wishing??) out loud that a new 9.9hp 4-stroke would perform in a similar way to our 2005 15hp 2 stroke would, or at least similar enough to be ok with it. Maybe I am just dreaming...

What is the size/weight of your dink???

...Moving back aboard today!!!!!

Chris
Hi Chris,

I have the AB 9 foot lightweight fiberglass dinghy with a mercury 2 stroke 9.9. The on I want is the Mercury 2 Stroke 15 hp engine, which is the SAME engine as the 9.9 except a different carburetor so the weight of the 15 is the same as the 9.9

The 4 stroke 15 ph is 117 pounds. Where the 2 stroke is about half that (can't find the figures on the net).
The difference is I can life the 9.9/15 from the bracket to the deck, into the dink etc by myself... But I coulnt do that with the 4stroke. I would have to have a craine.

As for the wonderful thought that a 4 stroke 9.9 is as fast as a 2 stroke 15 well you chewed the wrong slipper on that one!

9.9 is fine by myself or with an anorexic, but with more than two people on board it grinds to a halt.

It's quite important as many anchorages are 1 nm to the dinghy dock, or supermarket, fuel dock etc. exploring is the same, its all long hauls, longer than most expected before cruising.

You can always throttle back. But you can never turn it up to 11 when fat Aunty Bessy squeezes your tubes....

If yours is 2005 model there should be more life in it yet. Mine is 2002 and its done two circumnavigations on two mother ships and a number of dinghys... Being used virtually every day and when it's not used its on a stern mount in the sea air...

Finally, checks he price difference out between the US and the Caribbean for outboards...
New 4 stroke 15 hp is over $3,335 at Defender in the USA but only $2,400 negotiable for a new 2 stroke in The Caribbean.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 13:00   #12
Marine Service Provider

Our 15hp 2S weighs 80 lbs. The new yammy weighs 111, so a 31 lb diff. The only time I have to manhandle the engine is getting on the boat the first time - we have a lift I made for the rest of the times.

The local Yamaha dealer is quoting a bit less than $2400 Cash for a new 15, not sure about the 9.9.

I wish there was a way to judge the current output power of the motor we have. I do know that the Yamaha brochure lists the hp of their engines at the prop. I will have to check out manual to see if it is rated the same way.

Chris
Old 15-03-2013, 13:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

mark, AB makes two versions of 9' fiberglass boats. One weighs 106lbs, and the other 143 lbs, quite a difference. Do you know which one you have, out of curiosity?

Chris
Old 15-03-2013, 15:56   #14

15hp 2stroke Yammy is an excellent engine and a great choice if your out in the boondocks because almost anyone can do major service on them, not so with 4 strokes as very few locals use them. Boondocks = almost anywhere in the North and South Pacific.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2013, 17:33   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Is it this dinghy?
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote