Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 17:34   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: 9.8, 15 or 20 HP

I'm not, keep the boat at PC, was there last Summer though on our way back from Sarasota and that is when we ran back trying to beat the Thunderstorm, it is a long way to Carrabelle from Dog though, I wouldn't even have tried if my dink wouldn't plane.
I still work for the near future, but often am at the boat in PC City marina, slip 316 if you ever want to stop by, usually always have cold beer.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:47   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggegner View Post
I have an 10.5' rib and 15 hp, can scare the s#+% out of you...15 is the same weight as most 10's. A 20 hp is to much.

Greg S/V Sweet Dreams
Pearson P385 out of Racine Wisconsin
Sounds lime our Caribe with a Merc 15 2-stroke. I think a full throttle start will flip it over backwards and its goosey as heck on the steering. Full out on flat water is like you say - s#+%.

We sized the motor at the transom maximum in order to have enough power to get the boat out of trouble if needed. I am considering adding a 1.5 or 2 for normal use & store the 15.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 17:56   #18

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

I misunderstood. Planning to hang out at Shell island for a few days this week.

And a fuel stop at your marina as well. I'll check to see if you're around the boat. Haven't met a cf member IRL yet. Maybe we can swap war stories.
Old 08-03-2015, 17:58   #19

Boat: Formally a Leopard 45

Wings/foils make a significant difference, too. We have an AB 9.5AL (aluminum) with a 15hp 2-stroke Yamaha that we bought last year in Freeport, Bahamas. Use it every day. Prior to adding wings it would take a lot of effort to get my family of four (450lbs) to plane until we added wings. Now it's great. With respect to the necessity of getting up on plane, you would probably be fine if your using the boat on weekends. If you're cruising full time you really want to be able to get on plane. Also- I have noticed that when it's just me, the wings, by forcing the nose down, does make the boat twitchy at high speeds.
Four Coconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 18:05   #20

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I bought a Suzuki 15 hp for my 10'4" Achilles dinghy last year and it planes 3 160 pounders and 1 220 pounder. It takes it a bit longer to get on a plane with that load, but it does it. That engine weighs only 97 lbs for a 4 stroke. A friend liked my motor so much he bought the 20 hp version for his 11 ft dinghy. It also weighs 97 lbs and planes the same 4 people almost instantly.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 18:11   #21

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Sounds lime our Caribe with a Merc 15 2-stroke. I think a full throttle start will flip it over backwards and its goosey as heck on the steering. Full out on flat water is like you say - s#+%.

We sized the motor at the transom maximum in order to have enough power to get the boat out of trouble if needed. I am considering adding a 1.5 or 2 for normal use & store the 15.
used to own a caribe 3.5 with a yamaha 15 hp twin carbie model. Only dink Ive ever been in where i felt the need to use the outboard lanyard on my wrist in case i was thrown out (came close but never happened)

They are fast but the flat hull makes em skittish as hell - throw in some chop and its like a thrill ride at times.

Right now ive got a heavy twin skin deep V hull avon and while stable it needs 9hp just to get on a plain with one up. added the wings and planes with 2 up but not 3. Dont need the lanyard though.

The dink you are mating the engine to will make a big difference.
Barra is offline   Reply With Quote