I've repaired over 250 dinghies here in the Bocas archipelago (for thrifty cruisers) over a 3 year period and delamination
of the tubes from the transom and loose rubstrakes are common occurrences.
For both PVC and hypalon dinks, I used exclusively, REMA's Tip Top SC2000, a two-component adhesive
. The stuff, though not cheap
, is amazing. If you're in Panama
, contact me and I'll give you the distributor's details. Otherwise, search the REMA site for a distributor near you. A one kilo can, with catalyst, costs me about $175 but it's good for quite a few repairs
. It'll last for a couple years as long as you put tape around the catalyst bottle's lid, it's a very small bottle, and keep it in the fridge.
So when you're putting your transom back together, make sure you remove the previous glue on both surfaces, that's essential. Many times this necessitates take the whole thing off, cleaning
all the attaching bits of hypalon/PVC, and re-gluing. To remove the old glue you can use MEK, a Scotchbrite pad, and elbow
grease. Use some kind of glove like nitril.
Regarding the rubstrake; if it's only coming off in a certain area, defate the tube, clean both the rubstrake and tube to get the old glue off as described above. Wipe both surfaces with MEK or acetone and reglue. You'll have to apply a lot of focused pressure on the repair to make sure the surfaces bond well. Wait a few hours then reinflate.
If the whole rubstrake needs to be re-glued, remove the entire thing, lay on a board suspended on saw horses, and use a 3-M Adhesive
(3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel 3612: Advance Auto Parts
) and remove all remnants of glue from the rubstrake. You'll have to do the same thing on the tubes but use a light touch. It is way too easy to burn thru the tube and opening another issue :>). In this instance, you'll want to keep your dink fully inflated.
Tape the top and bottom edges of the tubes using blue tape. This will be your guide for putting the puppy back on. I usually put a reference mark the bow tube and on the rubstrake and that's where I start, at the bow, working my way back on one side of the dink, then the other. That way you won't end up with 6" extra on one side (learned the hard way). Wipe, with MEK, both the cleaned rubstrake and associated tube area, apply glue, and reattach. An extra hand is always welcome to hold the rubstrake steady.