Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2016, 06:51   #1

Boat: 1986 Catalina 27
2 strokes illegal in US????

So i heard somewhere that you cant buy 2 stroke outboards in the us anymore. Why not?
Sailuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:11   #2

Re: 2 strokes illegal in US????

Evinrude e-Tec are 2 stroke outboards which are still being sold. However they are the only ones and only do so in larger motors. Nothing in the dinghy size range.

Two strokes are, by and large, no longer sold because they don't meet emissions restrictions. Used 2 strokes are available for sale, but nothing new. This goes for the motorcycle markets as (both dirt and street) as well.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:13   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailuke View Post
So i heard somewhere that you cant buy 2 stroke outboards in the us anymore. Why not?
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...gal-11369.html
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42   #4

Boat: Hunter 340

It's all part of the green/environmental/socially responsible thing. In response, I ran out and bought a used 2 cycle outboard motor.
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:42   #5

Boat: Santana2023

Not "illegal", but no one makes them anymore besides the one mentioned above. Our 15 year old 8hp Merc died mid summer and we were forced to buy a new one that's 4 stroke. The EPA really doesn't allow 2 strokes to be manufactured. Not only for outboards but mowers and weed whackers as well. The only exception is chainsaws as far as I know.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:00   #6

"The EPA really doesn't allow 2 strokes to be manufactured"

The EPA defines the emissions specifications that new engines must meet - that's all they do. They have no preference for 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or 10 stroke, as long as they meet the specs.

The manufacturers decided that the most economical way to meet the current specs for small outboards is with 4 strokes. With larger outboards, it becomes economic to make 2 strokes with more sophisticated control over oil injection, which meet the current specs.

None of this applies to used 2 strokes which are perfectly legal to buy and sell, even though they don't meet the latest emissions standards.

"Our 15 year old 8hp Merc died mid summer and we were forced to buy a new one that's 4 stroke"

You weren't forced to. You could have bought a used 2 stroke.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:06   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don't know why anybody would prefer a 2-stroke outboard over a 4-stroke for a small boat. Mixing oil alone is enough of a reason to not buy a 2-stroke. I recently put a new 4-stroke Yamaha 25 on my 13' inflatable workboat, replacing the 2-stroke Johnson 15 that I'd been using for years. Not only is it quieter than the much smaller engine, but it has better fuel consumption as well.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post

The EPA defines the emissions specifications that new engines must meet - that's all they do. They have no preference for 2 stroke, 4 stroke, or 10 stroke, as long as they meet the specs.
I was going to say the same thing. (Goodness we are an geocentric bunch) Just because it is not available for sale in the US doesn't mean they no longer exist.

2 strokes are being made by most of the manufacturers outside of the US. They are simply not allowed to be imported and sold in the US if they don't meet emissions requirements. United States EPA can't tell foreign manufacturer what it can and can't manufacture and sell outside of the US. It can only dictate what is allowed to be imported and sold in the US.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10   #9

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

So I just bought a 2 stroke 15hp Yamaha in Malaysia. I should be arriving for a 3 month visit when I sail back to the USA in 2018. Problems?
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:10   #10

why would I want a used 2 stroke that will land me in the same position as before ? And besides, mixing oil on board is a pain in the ass because you always end up getting some on the deck no matter how careful you are.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
So I just bought a 2 stroke 15hp Yamaha in Malaysia. I should be arriving for a 3 month visit when I sail back to the USA in 2018. Problems?
No. Using them is not an issue, buying them is. Only thing I could think of is if on entry you were inspected and some nit picker discovered you are importing a 2 stroke. But that's doubtful.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
No problems. It's just that manufacturers don't really produce them any longer.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:18   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingOtter View Post
No problems. It's just that manufacturers don't really produce them any longer.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:20   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I don't know why anybody would prefer a 2-stroke outboard over a 4-stroke for a small boat. Mixing oil alone is enough of a reason to not buy a 2-stroke. I recently put a new 4-stroke Yamaha 25 on my 13' inflatable workboat, replacing the 2-stroke Johnson 15 that I'd been using for years. Not only is it quieter than the much smaller engine, but it has better fuel consumption as well.
For a really small dingy where the outboard has to be mounted and removed with each use, the lighter weight of a two stroke and the fact that it can be stored in any orientation that's convenient outweigh the mixing oil thing.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:24   #15
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
For a really small dingy where the outboard has to be mounted and removed with each use, the lighter weight of a two stroke and the fact that it can be stored in any orientation that's convenient outweigh the mixing oil thing.
Small 4-stroke outboards weigh in the 40-50 pound range. If that's not manageable, then hit the gym. As far as the storing an outboard in any orientation other than laying down or upright, I don't know that you can do that with any engine.

Tags
2 stroke, legal