Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 14:52   #46

Re: 2 strokes illegal in US????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob2 View Post
Take your what??? Do you hang that puppy from the davits?

Sorry for the thread-drift but where do you ride a snowmobile?
Google snowmobile watercross racing.

Technically they aren't illegal but that's like saying gasoline is illegal but car manufacturers are welcome to build gas engine cars.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 15:05   #47

2 stroke outboard motors are legal and can be bought NEW in the USA.

Defender.com Search Results: BRP / Evinrude+2+stroke

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:04   #48

Boat: Santana2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Really? So, tell me how many companies are producing 2 strokes beside Evinrude inside the US. Cus when I bought a new engine, I couldn't find any beside them and I opted for a 4 stroke.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:07   #49

Boat: Santana2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Small 4-stroke outboards weigh in the 40-50 pound range. If that's not manageable, then hit the gym. As far as the storing an outboard in any orientation other than laying down or upright, I don't know that you can do that with any engine.
The 4 stroke I bought for my boat is 8 lbs heavier than my old 2 stroke. People act like its a difference of hundreds of lbs.
DivingOtter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The 5 hp 4 stroke Mercury weighs around 55 lbs.......that should be enough to push a dinghy since I use one with an extra long shaft to push my 6600lb Bristol 27 when the wind is light
55 lbs for 5 hp

And our 10 hp 1955 Johnson 2 stroke weighs 67 lbs

Whatd'ya think of that, heh ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 17:46   #51

Boat: Caliber 40

A friend has been using my 1999 electric start 9.8HP 2-stroke Nissan (identical to and made by Tohatsu) on his 33' lightweight catamaran. The 2-stroke Nissan worked great and weighs 58 pounds.

We just installed an electric start 9.8 HP 4-stroke Tohatsu on the catamaran to replace my 9.8 HP 2-stroke. The 4-stroke weighs 89 pounds.

I cannot feel any difference in performance.

I wanted to buy a 4-stroke outboard for my 10' Portebote but the max allowable weight on the transom is 60 pounds. I could not find a 4-stroke over 5 HP that weighs less than the 60-pound limit.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 00:14   #52

For an outboard powered mother ship, 4 stroke makes a ton of sense. Efficient, quiet, no 2 stroke oil and 20-30lb of extra weight is typically irrelevant as it's permanently mounted. No one typically cares about acceleration, so the 2 stroke torque doesn't matter.

For a dingy, an extra 20-30lb can be a huge hassle and the low end torque can really help get you on plane.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:01   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
A friend has been using my 1999 electric start 9.8HP 2-stroke Nissan (identical to and made by Tohatsu) on his 33' lightweight catamaran. The 2-stroke Nissan worked great and weighs 58 pounds.

We just installed an electric start 9.8 HP 4-stroke Tohatsu on the catamaran to replace my 9.8 HP 2-stroke. The 4-stroke weighs 89 pounds.

I wanted to buy a 4-stroke outboard for my 10' Portebote but the max allowable weight on the transom is 60 pounds. I could not find a 4-stroke over 5 HP that weighs less than the 60-pound limit.
You might look at the Selva Black Bass, 8hp four stroke.

It weights 27 kg, so just under 60 pounds.

This is Yamaha's budget brand, made in Italy, and it's cheaply made but also cheap to acquire. I'm actually quite pleased with mine. Its light weight is largely down to being a one-cylinder rather than two, which means it shakes and sounds like a lawnmower, but this has not been a problem at all for me.

Other than fairly hard starting compared to a two-stroke, I've been quite pleased with it. It's about the same weight as comparable two-strokes.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:16   #54

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
55 lbs for 5 hp

And our 10 hp 1955 Johnson 2 stroke weighs 67 lbs

Whatd'ya think of that, heh ?
I'm thinking the 5 hp 4 stroke will get about 4X the gas mileage of your old 1955 10 hp Johnson under the same workload.

I use my big 5 to push my 6600 lb Bristol 27. Sometime across the 20 miles of bay here

I've had 6-8 old 2 stroke Johnsons and Evinrudes. I know the drill.....I also had a 2 stroke Merc. The cover was white! I was 16 or 17 years old when I bought it

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...eGEslz9HIeM%3A

The first 4 stroke I owned was a 1960 something Homelite 55hp. I couldn't believe how far it would take you on 6 gallons of gas

https://www.google.com/search?q=home...yajCFM0yjXM%3A
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:26   #55

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

I sometimes wonder if people who live in their own world pay taxes there. Climbing down a tidal ranging dock ladder with my 2 1/2 hp 2 stroke Yamaha, at 29 lbs, and doing the same thing with a 40 lb 4 stroke is considerably different. Do both of these. BTW, all of our gas stations have a 3 % oil pump as standard because of the tourism moped rental market.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:29   #56

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
I sometimes wonder if people who live in their own world pay taxes there. Climbing down a tidal ranging dock ladder with my 2 1/2 hp 2 stroke Yamaha, at 29 lbs, and doing the same thing with a 40 lb 4 stroke is considerably different. Do both of these. BTW, all of our gas stations have a 3 % oil pump as standard because of the tourism moped rental market.
I would guess it all depends on what you are using your engine for.

The paddle for my kayak is quite light though (27-30oz) so I get by without the ladder and get a bit of a workout with the kayak......paddling, launching, entering and exiting, etc
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:36   #57

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post

Have the rotary engines, any chance in this department.? 🤔
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:49   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Have the rotary engines, any chance in this department.? ��
I just posted something about that in a different thread.

There are some new ultralight wankel engines which look fantastic for outboards. They run on diesel! There is a 5hp one already being sold which only weighs 2kg (!!).

There is also the Liquid Piston rotary engine which looks even better. These are under development by a group associated with MIT. Very exciting stuff.

We can even imagine, I think, a series hybrid outboard powered by one of these tiny rotary engines, with a Lithium battery pack.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:04   #59
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Two strokes are no longer sold in the US? I didn't know that, but my first thought was GOOD RIDDANCE!
I was always "two stroke challenged."
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:39   #60

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I just posted something about that in a different thread.

There are some new ultralight wankel engines which look fantastic for outboards. They run on diesel! There is a 5hp one already being sold which only weighs 2kg (!!).

There is also the Liquid Piston rotary engine which looks even better. These are under development by a group associated with MIT. Very exciting stuff.

We can even imagine, I think, a series hybrid outboard powered by one of these tiny rotary engines, with a Lithium battery pack.

I also like the look of a miniature Gemini diesel, I believe it's a 2 stroke 6 cylinder equivalent, 3 cylinder. Pistons meet in the middle.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 stroke, legal