Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2009, 09:51   #1

Boat: Cooper Maple Leaf 42
2 stroke or 4 stroke

Hi first time post. Never done this before but have been reading all the posts hope this works
I have a 42 Maple leaf and plan to go to Mex. in two years when I retire so I have enjoyed all the posts
1st question I am eventually but a 10Hp out board for tender my question is 4 stroke or 2 stroke
2 stroke are much lighter but you have to mess with mixing oil and gas
2ed question I have cutter, roller boom no running back stay If I use the stay sail on off shore do I have to have a running back stay I heard I can lower Main to same height as cutter wire and achieve same support to mast
Sergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 11:08   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
I am really happy with m Honda 4 stroke. Runs much quieter, as you said no fuel and oil mixture to worry about. Some people will talk about how hard it is to get serviced in far way places. We over came the weight problem by adding a lifting hoist so the admiral can get it up on the rail. It works for us,
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 11:23   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Although heavier, I would opt for the four stroke. They are cleaner burning, more efficient and quieter. We have five trailer boats at work, all are four strokes. In my opinion, they are all more reliable than the two strokes that they replaced. We have not had any expensive mechanical problems with them even though they get rough use from grad students in shallow areas. We have Johnson's, Suzuki's and Yamaha's. I particularly like Honda's. The only engine that gave us a little bit of trouble was the Suzuki. I would not recommend a Suzuki outboard.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2009, 11:47   #4

2 stroke or 4 stroke

Thanks for the quick response I have a 4 stroke 2 hp Honda now but was going up to 10 hp and it looked quite heavy but I accept your information and it confirms my bias to 4 stroke Thanks again
Old 18-01-2009, 14:45   #5

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I have a Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke and love it. I think you will find that 2 strokes will be eventually phased out. Mostly due to pollution.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 14:55   #6

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
I like the 4 strokes. 10 hp is 80 lbs ? I'm guessing you have a plan for getting it on and off the tender...
Old 18-01-2009, 17:09   #7

4 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
I like the 4 strokes. 10 hp is 80 lbs ? I'm guessing you have a plan for getting it on and off the tender...
Not yet I suspect you need some kind of winch system
Old 18-01-2009, 18:27   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I really like my 5hp Honda 4-stroke. 'not to heavy at that size, but I do find the mizzen halyard handy as a hoist. I know many on the split rigs that will use the mizzen halyard for this, but I dont see what prevents someone on a sloop to use the main halyard. One hoists with the winch at the mast and another holds the halyard off as the dinghy motor rises. 'pretty easy to raise a heavy outboard if all you need to do is shove the halyard out. This is especially easy if you can run the halyard to the outside end of a dinghy davit. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 19:35   #9

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Sergy,

Why so much power? I ask because, I made a mistake when I purchased my outboard. I went with a 4 hp Mercury @ 55 lbs I wish I had gone lighter.
The old outboard I could one hand down to the dink.
Old 19-01-2009, 11:47   #10

"Why so much powe" I was in Bara de Navidad last Feb and observed several Tender being operated with 10 + hp I noticed there were 6 foot breaking waves and in order for them to get back to their boat they neede to pick their time and gun it over the wave before it broke I seen what happned when they were 10 sec late and it was not pretty. My present 2 HP honda and walker bay would surly be late and I would capsize so I need power and speed .

Tags
2 stroke, 4 stroke