Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2016, 14:48   #1

Boat: '66 Bristol 39
1995 yamaha 8 coil ohm readings

Hi Folks, I have a 1995 yamaha hp. two-stroke outboard on my dinghy. It's been running funky so I ran a couple of tanks with seafoam hoping this would clear it up, it didn't. It continued to run worse and finally quit. I took the carb apart and cleaned it; reassembled and still does not run long if at all. I checked the spark plugs, the lower cylinder looks like it isn't firing at all, plug looked brand new. I put an automotive in-line spark tester on the coil to plug wire for both cylinders and they both 'light' up. But if I omit the test light and pull the plug and ground the spark looks very weak to me. So I did a little reading and found that you can test the resistance of the coil windings. However, it appears that you need to know what the OHM reading should be for the particular engine. So finally here's the question: DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE OHM READINGS SHOULD BE FOR THIS MOTOR?( I can't find the darn manual). Any other trouble suggestions, would also be welcome.
rpjn59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil