Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 08:50   #91
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Zeppelin Bend - next best thing to sliced bread

I'm seem to be dressing it correctly, and under load it falls naturally. Im suspicious this knot is double dressable
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 08:57   #92
cruiser

on other notes i was able to make a TRUE palm method of the Zepp, but its a bit ugly. The payoff is less dressing needed.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:54   #93
cruiser

Here is my final report to the AKA (Australian Knot Association) AKA as the AKA (Association of Knots and A-measures):

The Alpine Butterfly benefit an extremely simple palm method that can be used equally for loops and bends with little education and thought or concentration. However, because of a x-ling necessary in the design, it leads to ambiguity on where this x-ling should be placed, and the x-ling in either configuration may lead to unnecessary chafing or risk of slip. To sum up, there may be two equal ways of dressing, but the x-ling is not beneficial and could be detrimental.

The Zepp is not as versatile in tying, and when attempting to use a traditional palm method, can lead to total confusion and insanity. This is especially vulnerable during low alertness. However, the bend, because it doesn't contain any x-ling, is easier to dress (if needed at all) and less prone to safety factors forementioned.

I will continue to experiment with palm methods to see if I can arrange something in the Zepp that makes sense.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:43   #94

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I'm seem to be dressing it correctly, and under load it falls naturally. Im suspicious this knot is double dressable
Me too . I have had a very good search. My way of dressing it seems to be the usual way shown, but go have a look at Wikipedia. It shows the way I dress it (parallel lines 'protected', just as Grog does) as its main picture. but go down the page and the next image shows it with the parallel lines unprotected (so the reverse side would have the X protected as you dress it).

Quote:
Here is my final report to the AKA (Australian Knot Association) AKA as the AKA (Association of Knots and A-measures):

The Alpine Butterfly benefit an extremely simple palm method that can be used equally for loops and bends with little education and thought or concentration. However, because of a x-ling necessary in the design, it leads to ambiguity on where this x-ling should be placed, and the x-ling in either configuration may lead to unnecessary chafing or risk of slip. To sum up, there may be two equal ways of dressing, but the x-ling is not beneficial and could be detrimental.
The response will be interesting.
I will pose the same question on the International Guild of Knot Tyers forum.
With the X unprotected (and the parallel lines protected) it is a very beautiful knot. It sits elegantly - not definitive, but a good start.
It is a bit messy looking the way you dress it (sorry, but that is the way it is ).

Quote:
The Zepp is not as versatile in tying, and when attempting to use a traditional palm method, can lead to total confusion and insanity. This is especially vulnerable during low alertness. However, the bend, because it doesn't contain any x-ling, is easier to dress (if needed at all) and less prone to safety factors forementioned.
I don't know what that 'traditional' palm method is, but the palm method may not be the best for this bend. The 69 method is so easy with a little practice and so reliable (even for thick line that would be awkward wound around your palm), that multiple good methods are not really necessary. 69 is not hard to remember .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:59   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Salty, does all this confusion about the correct way to dress the Alpine Butterfly Bend (and the fact that it is reported to be slightly weaker than the Zepp), not sway you a little towards seeing that the Zepp may be a better choice? it really just just require a yank of the standing ends to dress the Zepp beautifully each and every time without any possible errors.

I know the ABB is simple to tie, but so is the Zepp with a little practice (I am actually a little quicker with the Zepp after just a short time). The mid and end line loops of the ABB are really of little value to sailors (the well known and widely used bowline and its variations serve us well), particularly given that the midline and endline ABB can jam appallingly if load is put on the loop and one standing end.

SWL

Old 04-07-2014, 11:49   #96
cruiser

I stand my ground by the tying the ABF. I believe its much more easy to tie using the palm method (mine). However, the ABF is NOT symmetrical or as beautiful a knot as we have discovered together when comparing it to the Zepp. The Zepp is beautiful because of its perfect symmetry. Symmetry wins hands down.

Now, the task is to find as simple a method to tie it. I do NOT like the 69 method, nor any method that requires two hand loops such as this. I don't like the ABF tied this way either. Wrap-wrap-tie is my philosophy, by and large because of scientific research in speed and simplicity -- no two hands.

Thus, more experiment is needed to find an elegant tying method to complement the beauty of the Zepp. I'm sure there is a way, but it will take time to explore.

Here is the opinion of Southee

"The Alpine Butterfly Bend, Ashley Bend (ABOK #1452), Hunter's Bend (Rigger's Bend), Shakehands Bend, and Zeppelin Bend (Rosendahl's Bend) are all based on interlocked Overhand Knots, and they're all considered to be strong and secure bends. However, the Alpine Butterfly Bend has some advantages over the other four bends. For one thing, the other four bends are "unforgiving" in the sense that if you pass one end of rope through a loop in the other end of rope from the wrong direction, or if you curve the second end of rope upwards when you should have curved it downwards, or if you cross the second end of rope on top of itself when it should have crossed behind itself, then you won't end up with the bend that you were trying to tie. You might end up with a very unsecure knot. In contrast, the Alpine Butterfly Bend is very forgiving. It doesn't matter which way you pass the second end of rope through the loop in the first end of rope, and it doesn't matter if you curve the two ends of rope upwards or downwards, and it doesn't matter if you cross the two ends of rope on top of or behind the main parts of the ropes. The only thing that matters is that the two ends of rope form interlocked loops which are mirror-images of each other, and that they both pass through the center of the knot together (i.e. in the same direction). This makes the Alpine Butterfly Bend very easy to remember how to tie properly, unlike the other four bends. In addition, Budworth says that the Alpine Butterfly can be pulled in two or four directions at once without distorting or capsizing, and that you can isolate a damaged section of rope by tying an Alpine Butterfly around it, both of which indicate that the Alpine Butterfly Bend is strong and secure. Furthermore, Toss says that the Alpine Butterfly Bend is the strongest of the series of bends in his book, and that it neither slips nor jams, and that it's on a par with the Ashley Bend, which survived 100 pulls in Ashley's testing."
Old 04-07-2014, 12:14   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Here is the opinion of Southee

"The Alpine Butterfly Bend, Ashley Bend (ABOK #1452), Hunter's Bend (Rigger's Bend), Shakehands Bend, and Zeppelin Bend (Rosendahl's Bend) are all based on interlocked Overhand Knots, and they're all considered to be strong and secure bends. However, the Alpine Butterfly Bend has some advantages over the other four bends. For one thing, the other four bends are "unforgiving" in the sense that if you pass one end of rope through a loop in the other end of rope from the wrong direction, or if you curve the second end of rope upwards when you should have curved it downwards, or if you cross the second end of rope on top of itself when it should have crossed behind itself, then you won't end up with the bend that you were trying to tie. You might end up with a very unsecure knot. In contrast, the Alpine Butterfly Bend is very forgiving. It doesn't matter which way you pass the second end of rope through the loop in the first end of rope, and it doesn't matter if you curve the two ends of rope upwards or downwards, and it doesn't matter if you cross the two ends of rope on top of or behind the main parts of the ropes. The only thing that matters is that the two ends of rope form interlocked loops which are mirror-images of each other, and that they both pass through the center of the knot together (i.e. in the same direction).
This is a big "only thing" LOL. Best to learn to tie it one way repeatedly, so that little or no thought is required.

Quote:
In addition, Budworth says that the Alpine Butterfly can be pulled in two or four directions at once without distorting or capsizing, and that you can isolate a damaged section of rope by tying an Alpine Butterfly around it, both of which indicate that the Alpine Butterfly Bend is strong and secure. Furthermore, Toss says that the Alpine Butterfly Bend is the strongest of the series of bends in his book, and that it neither slips nor jams, and that it's on a par with the Ashley Bend, which survived 100 pulls in Ashley's testing."
The bit I have highlighted is actually a good reason for learning to tie the AB loop . No disagreement there.

Regarding the 'strongest' there is a lot of dispute about this. I suspect they are very close and that one is not consistently better (it may vary with different diameters or materials.

If there actually are two acceptable ways of dressing the ABB this disturbs me. I bet both are not equally secure. Which one is used in load tests?

Salty, as I said earlier both the ABB and Zepp are excellent knots (the speed of dressing personally puts me off the ABB when the Zepp has no issues with this). Both are significantly better than the alternatives, particularly when an extra final tuck is used when lines are of significantly different diameter.

I think the experts are still arguing about which one is slightly better. Choosing either is a great improvement over what is currently commonly in use. Do we at least have any agreement with that?

Old 04-07-2014, 13:37   #98
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Choosing either is a great improvement over what is currently commonly in use. Do we at least have any agreement with that?
Oh yes, indeed! The Zepp is a beautiful knot, no argument at all. I believe everyone should learn all four of these siblings, and the Zepp shines the best because of it's symmetry.
Old 04-07-2014, 14:18   #99

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, Salty,

I think some of us are more adept at learning to tie knots than others, and for me, learning the Zeppelin Bend -- I mean REALLY learning it -- will be not an easy process. Therefore, the added difficulty of adding 3 more knots is just (forgive me ) knot on! In addition, I'm not sure at all with my small hands that i would be able to execute the one hand way with line over 10 mm.

Ann
Old 04-07-2014, 14:19   #100

Seaworthy Lass:

The pictures really help me. Thanks.

Ann
Old 04-07-2014, 17:15   #101
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Wotie has a different opinion - as always ('cause he he can be contrary at times; just ask Mrs Wotie).

I do like the symmetry of the Zepp B but I dislike (no, make that "hate") the way the tails stick out at 90 degrees from the main (load) direction of the line. It's just ugly IMO.
It's so bad that it wants me to revert to the double sheet bend where the tails look so nice.

What will Wotie do???

He will rail at the Lassie for causing such pain and then finally succumb and suck it up and become a true Zepp convert and accept the ugliness as part of it's beauty. A state of mind henceforth known as Zeppelin Zen or ZZ for short.

Some of the heathens out there in CF land will by now be thinking more like Zzz's but never mind, while they snore on, I will quietly sing praises to the Lassie for leading me in from the "Sheet" and showering me in the golden light of Zepp which never needs dressing.

OK, need more coffee to wake up properly - note to self, don't post before second cup...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 17:21   #102
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Of all the names thrown around, I think 'Asymmetric Zeppelin' is the easiest. Call it what you will, but use it with confidence .
Well, my pet name will be forever "The Laz'be" - pronounce it as you will.

For the slower amongst us.....

The Lassie Asymmetric Zeppelin Bend
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 19:15   #103
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You know, Salty,

I think some of us are more adept at learning to tie knots than others, and for me, learning the Zeppelin Bend -- I mean REALLY learning it -- will be not an easy process. Therefore, the added difficulty of adding 3 more knots is just (forgive me ) knot on! In addition, I'm not sure at all with my small hands that i would be able to execute the one hand way with line over 10 mm.

Ann
Oh come now, 3 knots is nothing compared to a boat that can go 6!
Old 05-07-2014, 01:32   #104

accepting that this might be getting a bit silly, we had some folk over this afternoon, and we all wound up tying Zepp bends. (!)

But, Wottie, I really like the perpendicular tails: they tell me the bend was made correctly! such an easy check!

Cheers, all,

A
Old 05-07-2014, 02:16   #105

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
accepting that this might be getting a bit silly, we had some folk over this afternoon, and we all wound up tying Zepp bends. (!)

It certainly looks as thought the proselytizing is starting to bear fruit.

Now I just need to get SS pushing the Double Overhand in place of the Figure 8 :-)

(You can tie that one by wrapping the line round your hand as well!)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote