Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2014, 14:04   #16

Boat: Hunter Channel 31 - Strider
Re: Zeppelin Bend - next best thing to sliced bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Good to get some feedback .

Has anyone tried tying this knot using my instructions? Is anything unclear?
Yes, just done it but can't say I found it easy, manipulating the two loops on top of each other and holding the whole thing together while threading the ends through the loops. I'll practice it though because it makes a nice looking bend - more compact than the carrick bend I tied for comparison. Thanks for showing it to us. Will be glad to see the variations for unequal diameter ropes etc.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 14:28   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yes, just done it but can't say I found it easy, manipulating the two loops on top of each other and holding the whole thing together while threading the ends through the loops. I'll practice it though because it makes a nice looking bend - more compact than the carrick bend I tied for comparison. Thanks for showing it to us. Will be glad to see the variations
When I form the 6 and 9 initially I hold the joints with just the thumb and forefinger of each hand (I do the 9 initially with my right hand, leaving the last 3 fingers free to help manipulate the 6 into place).

When I put the 6 on the 9 I re-grip with my right hand to clamp the 6 onto the 9 at the joint with my thumb on top and the adjacent two fingers underneath (edited to add: even better if my second finger is on top just below the standing bit of the 9). This leaves my left hand completely free to poke the tail of the 6 around and through towards me.

When this is done, I grip the left side of the 'two loops plus tail pushed through' combination, leaving my right hand completely free to poke the the tail of the 9 away from me through the gap. Or don't change grip at all - just use your left hand to poke the tail of the 9 through as well.

See how that goes (I'll take a photo in daylight hours tomorrow).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 14:48   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
A 'bend' just describes a knot that ties two lines together. I stuck this in the title to differentiate this knot from the Zeppelin Loop .
Yep, I knew... I should have added a to my note about the two Zeppelins.

-Chris
Old 30-06-2014, 17:19   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Yes, just done it but can't say I found it easy, manipulating the two loops on top of each other and holding the whole thing together while threading the ends through the loops. I'll practice it though because it makes a nice looking bend - more compact than the carrick bend I tied for comparison. Thanks for showing it to us. Will be glad to see the variations for unequal diameter ropes etc.
I had the same experience, it just didn't seem easy last light but today it is getting easier. Might be because I'm getting old and don't pick up ideas as fast .
So I have just going to keep practising until I can do it in the dark or behind my back

This guy has another (quicker) way to achieve the bend but I have yet to master his technique - perhaps because he is annoying to watch - but I will overcome my distaste for him
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08   #20

Boat: Hunter Channel 31 - Strider

After my awkward attempt yesterday evening I went to the pub and drank three pints of bitter beer. This morning I can do it easily.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:33   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
This guy has another (quicker) way to achieve the bend but I have yet to master his technique - perhaps because he is annoying to watch - but I will overcome my distaste for him
Opps, let's try again with that link
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 01-07-2014, 04:03   #22

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Zeppelin Bend - next best thing to sliced bread

Who ya gonna call? That boorish oaf or our own personal and personable Lassie?

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 05:10   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Who ya gonna call? That boorish oaf or our own personal and personable Lassie?
Happy to tie you up anytime Bluey .

Someone very kindly gave me the link to a French bowline recently and I have been dying to try it out .

Old 01-07-2014, 05:26   #24

Quote:
Happy to tie you up anytime Bluey .

Someone very kindly gave me the link to a French bowline recently and I have been dying to try it out .
I'm working on the French Zeppelin...
Old 01-07-2014, 05:32   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
That video of the 'in air' technique left me totally in the dark and it didn't look much quicker (I will try again later, I am getting some very odd looks from the taverna owner here twirling my rope around). And the 'on ground' technique was the most confusing thing I have every seen (how on earth would you remember the right sequence easily? That puritan has gone to a LOT of trouble to disguise '69’ ).

Following Jim's suggestion I even tried having a Mythos with my Greek salad, but no lights went on. Maybe two beers are needed or was three the magic number?

I will post a few photos later (or tomorrow) of actually tying the knot using the method I gave above to see of that makes it simpler for anyone .

Old 01-07-2014, 05:59   #26

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
That video of the 'in air' technique left me totally in the dark and it didn't look much quicker (I will try again later, I am getting some very odd looks from the taverna owner here twirling my rope around). And the 'on ground' technique was the most confusing thing I have every seen (how on earth would you remember the right sequence easily? ).
Yeah, that video did nothing for me either.

Take two lines, standing parts coming in from opposite directions.

Make one turn (loop) on each, one on top of the other. Use an underhand loop on the top and an overhand loop on the bottom.

In other words, the bitter (working) end of the top loop is on top, the bitter end of the bottom loop is on the bottom.

This way, the standing ends come into the loops in the middle, from opposite sides.

Put the top bitter end DOWN through the two loops.

Put the bottom bitter end UP through the two loops.

Pull on the bitter ends a little, then on the standing parts a little.

It's really simple, although working on a table first may help until you get the mental image of the two loops on top of each other.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04   #27
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

The first part is not THAT different than one way to tie a clove hitch and drop it over the top end of a piling. Just done with separate lines. I had never really heard of this knot, but had absolutely no problem understanding how it grips and how to tie it. I think anyone who's spent a few years tying expensive lures on thick monofilament or power pro line will understand it.

I also just tried making two identical loops except mirror images, right and left, then just turning the right hand one over. That works, too.

Thanks. Up until today I would have said that a Zepplin Bend was a guitar riff.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yeah, that video did nothing for me either.

Take two lines, standing parts coming in from opposite directions.

Make one turn (loop) on each, one on top of the other. Use an underhand loop on the top and an overhand loop on the bottom.

In other words, the bitter (working) end of the top loop is on top, the bitter end of the bottom loop is on the bottom.

This way, the standing ends come into the loops in the middle, from opposite sides.

Put the top bitter end DOWN through the two loops.

Put the bottom bitter end UP through the two loops.

Pull on the bitter ends a little, then on the standing parts a little.

It's really simple, although working on a table first may help until you get the mental image of the two loops on top of each other.
Tom, that is a perfect way of describing it . It really means you can tie it from any direction as long as you have this combination.

I tend to be visual with knots though. I find it much easier following written instructions after I have actually learned how to tie a knot. Someone in the knot forum recent suggested the Double Lapp bend was better than the Double Sheet bend and gave instructions rather than a diagram. Boy did I struggle! (Probably much to the members' amusement. It must be an initiation rite they put novices through LOL.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
The first part is not THAT different than one way to tie a clove hitch and drop it over the top end of a piling. Just done with separate lines.
I can't see a clove hitch anywhere. I see a cow hitch initially. . When it is tied and you tease it apart, it is really clear that it is just two very simple overhands linked (just like the other three in this quartet - the Alpine Butterfly, Ashley and Hunter). Weird that it holds so well and be untied so easily.

Quote:
I had never really heard of this knot, but had absolutely no problem understanding how it grips and how to tie it. I think anyone who's spent a few years tying expensive lures on thick monofilament or power pro line will understand it.
Ah, a fly fisherman as well. I gave up after a while as I felt it was beneath me pitting wits against a trout . Loved wading the rivers still though and continued to do so with a backpack filled with picnic lunch, current book and in Australia a snake bite kit.

Quote:
Thanks. Up until today I would have said that a Zepplin Bend was a guitar riff.
Stairway to Heaven is a classic .

Old 01-07-2014, 10:41   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Don't be fooled by the Zeppelin bend. I know these flavor of knots and the only one out of the 4 siblings any good is the Alpine Butterfly:

Zeppelin
Hunter
Ashley
Alpine Butterfly

Each of these uses similar paired loops depending on direction and blight.

The Alpine is the only one that can be used as a loop, bend, or hitch, and ALSO be incredibly easy to tie. So look that up, see the numerous videos and diagrams and throw away all the other obscure knots you may know. Join the ABA (Alpine Butterfly Association) where you can enjoy various gatherings around the world that celebrate the enormous impact this knot has had on the nautical and climbing community.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 13:14   #30

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Use it all the time, pulled a boat off a reef recently, and had to join his line to mine because I could not get that close (Draught) after extreme loads it still came undone easily. Even works on monofilament. Love it.