Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2010, 21:53   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Would You Worry About a Bent Mast ?

So my cruising BUDGET dream boat that I am trying to acquire from a very close friend has a few kinks in it, hence the price.

I have sailed on this boat for over 10 years.

A few years ago, when I was not on it, something gave way and the mast unloaded a lot of power very quickly.

The boat has about a 50' mast with three spreaders. Looking straight up the mast you can see the mast bends to port a bunch around the top spreader.

Currently the rigging has no pressure on it as the boat has been sitting and the turn buckles loosened. Putting slight pressure on the stbd standing rigging with my fingers begins the bend the mast straighter again.

The main still goes up and down fine.

Can I pull the stick and bend it back in a yard? Should I worry much about the bend, like rust on an old car, it adds Character.

On ANY boat I buy, I am planning on replacing ALL the standing rigging AND chain plates.

As a potential world cruising boat, how much would you worry about this mast and boat?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 21:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I would worry - assuming an aluminum mast it is clearly stressed at the bend. The mast is designed to take vertical loads.

Depending on the degree of bend and an inspection (including dye penetrant) I would consider if a doubler reinforcement makes sense. I would lean against just straightening it up with the rigging.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:08   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I'm no expert but it would make me nervous buying a boat that way...If it happen to one I already owned and it was my fault I would sail it and see what shakes out. and let it prove itself to me.

Its all a degree of severity really...a dent is more detrimental then a slight bend if the bend is not a kink but over a long area and can be taken out with the shrouds like you suggested it could...in that case the mast is in Column and theoretically just as strong as it ever was.

My yard dropped my mast and I will be a tad nervous about it until my next successful gale sail proves it to me again..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:24   #4

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Permanent bend is permanent damage. It is weaker now. What are the potential consequences if your 50 ft. mast comes down unscheduled? Death or disability. Damage to your boat, injury to crew.

If you buy the boat you should figure total mast replacement into your offer and just move on if the seller won't concede.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 22:42   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Is this mast deck stepped or keel stepped?

If deck stepped, I'm not sure you could loosen the stays enough to get all the stress off of the mast to know for sure. Masts do bend fairly EZ. When I pump up my hyd. back stay mine looks scary but it holds fine.

If it's a slight bend it may not be a problem. But if there is any kink or a sharp sudden change then I'd be looking for a new mast.

The problem with straightening is the camels back theory. You have to way over bend something to get it back were it use to be and in doing so the metal is fatigued the opposite direction causing micro fissures.

I would pull it and lay it on some flat ground to be sure and inspect the bend area as well.

BTW - What gave way for the mast to unload.
Old 07-10-2010, 22:53   #6

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Pay for a good rigger to give an opinion and tell you if there are any options? Or at least take some good pictures to the rigger?
Old 07-10-2010, 22:54   #7

It's trash...it's fine...how would we know? Is a bunch 5cm? or 50cm? How about a picture up the mast track unloaded? Have you been up to the bend to see if the metal is actually warped?

If it's actually got a dented, stretched or stressed area you'll need to get it cut and sleeved at a spar shop. If it's just 5cm of bow that straightens out with the shrouds it's just a sports injury and will be just fine.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 00:04   #8

Boat: Brewer 44
All good advice!

Maybe time to go up the mast and talk to a rigger and spar company.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 00:45   #9

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post

Putting slight pressure on the stbd standing rigging with my fingers begins the bend the mast straighter again.
Slight pressure is all it takes to make it straight?

Yep. You have the right to be concerned.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:47   #10
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post
All good advice!

Maybe time to go up the mast and talk to a rigger and spar company.
Sure you want to go up the mast if its bent?
Send the rigger up.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:19   #11

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
Wondering if the survey might prevent getting insurance if this is noted by the surveyor. At the very least, I'd get a rigger to inspect before survey. This could be a ticking bomb and right combination of conditions could bring it down.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:44   #12

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Slight pressure is all it takes to make it straight?

Yep. You have the right to be concerned.
Slight pressure is all it takes to bring any straight mast out of column.

Daddel got it right...none of us can advise you of your particular situation...my gut tells me it is not that big a deal from what you describe...but aside form going aloft. or laying it down for a thorough inspection its just all conjecture and opinions which will be all over the board due to peoples past foibles, fears and experiences.

Getting it surveyed may be a big waste of money...surveyors will not do any deconstructive testing nor have the ability to see any more then you can..few go aloft.

Hire a competent rigger to go aloft and give his opinion...if the rigger is afraid to go aloft on a slightly bent mast you have the wrong rigger and he has given you his opinion before you hire him...If it is so bent that no rigger will go aloft then it is like others have said history... and you need to pull it and repair or replace it...and figure that into the value of the boat or walk.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:49   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Nice post Still. Personally, one of the things I do NOT take chances with are masts but that's just me.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:09   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
Some masts are designed to bend. I was doing an ocean race once and after a severe knockdown the triple spreader rig was bent three different ways. We looked at the mast and were thinking of pulling out of the race when we suffered another knockdown. The second knockdown put the mast back in column. She was straight. If the mast doesn't have a kink in it then it can probably be straightened by adjusting the correct shrouds or stays. A triple spreader rig is quite complicated so have a rigger teach you how and to adjust the rig. Besides if there is a problem with the mast and there is enough of a discount on the price you might be able to have the mast fixed.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:35   #15

From what I know of aluminum once you bend it the strength is gone. It's a strong-brittle-soft metal that doesn't do well getting bent around (steel can handle that fairly well).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast