Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2018, 09:38   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Windvane on hydraulic steering?

I've done thousands of nm's on two boats using a Hydrovane and concur with Robert that using the main rudder as a trib tab is important. I also found large over lapping genoas are the enemies of the Hydrovane, I've gone down to a 100% jib for a couple of reasons, are yet to try it with the Hydrovane, will do so come May.

The type of boat effects how efficient Hydrovanes work. New bigger boats are faster in light winds and the rudder can push the vane around, they now sell a extentable vain as a work around. Surfing big ocean swells can be a challenge for the Hydrovane rudder as well. Where are powerful autopilot can compensate for poor sail trim, reefing etc this dosent apply to the Hydrovane on a bigger boat, you need to get the boat sailing well.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:13   #17

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Windvane on hydraulic steering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I've done thousands of nm's on two boats using a Hydrovane and concur with Robert that using the main rudder as a trib tab is important. I also found large over lapping genoas are the enemies of the Hydrovane, I've gone down to a 100% jib for a couple of reasons, are yet to try it with the Hydrovane, will do so come May.

The type of boat effects how efficient Hydrovanes work. New bigger boats are faster in light winds and the rudder can push the vane around, they now sell a extentable vain as a work around. Surfing big ocean swells can be a challenge for the Hydrovane rudder as well. Where are powerful autopilot can compensate for poor sail trim, reefing etc this dosent apply to the Hydrovane on a bigger boat, you need to get the boat sailing well.
What I respect over all other advice is that from those who have actually used something.. I may be a good candidate (I hope so since I have some big bucks invested in it) for the Hydrovane from your recommendations. I use a high cut yankee for my genoa and plan to keep my staysail rigged offshore. So large overlapping jibs are a pain. My boat is circa 1981 with a modified fin keel and skeg hung rudder. I would not consider the Admiral and I to be the best sailors around but we don't mind fussing a bit to get the boat trimmed as well as we can. And I do have a rudder lock. Thanks.....

But perhaps having a hydraulic system would not be as well since you can't really lock the rudder.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, windvane