Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2017, 10:34   #46

Boat: no boat any more
Re: wind-vane rudder- another concept, will it work?

seem to remember that we did quite a lot of adjusting on the Atoms too, btw, with changing windspeeds: often a chainlink up or down (tiller with th "Aries-clamp"), boat was building up weatherhelm fairl quickly
as TNB has an extreme likelyhood of having wheel-, not tillersteering I'm somewhat doubtful of the same accuracy of coursekeeping as on the "old" boat
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:40   #47

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
l

(...)

would say an X 40

(...)
You want an AP rather than a WV.

Both Hydrovane and Windpilot provide online installation libraries. Check them out. It seems as if nobody used a Hydro nor Plus, some used a pendulum model.

Are you sailing an X-40?

Installation Listing - Hydrovane
WINDPILOT - Photos

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:48   #48

Boat: no boat any more

the X 40 is on the "preliminary shortlist" for TNB...(Elan 410, Salona 40, First 40/40.7, Sun Fast 40.3, X412,...)
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 10:52   #49

Boat: 10' surfboard

When I read the free book and plans for the 20-20b on the windpilot site it was a tough bit of thinking, to the point I finally went cross eyed looking at the linkages, and detailed drawings. I stuck with it, and finally "Got it" and now I understand ho a wind vane works, and how a servo pendulum works. There value in truly comprehending how and why the different designs are the way they are. Now when I look at a boat with a windvane, I know what I am looking at. It is funny how all the servo pendulum types are the same in theory, and they all do it their own way in execution. Sometimes I look at the routing of the lines and jut shake my head when I see 10 blocks to get them to the tiller...

I also think there is a great practical notion in building your own wind vane for 2 reasons:

1 If you build your own out of basic materials available at a hardware store, repairs in far flung areas of the world may not require waiting for parts to mailed to you.

2 What better way to fully understand the wind vane and balancing a sail craft than to build your own, and use it with your boat until it works in practice?

The wind pilot site has lots of great free resources, and they sell vanes.
nematon785 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, rudder, concept