Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2009, 21:08   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Willard Main Sail Rigging

Hello

I have attached a couple of pictures of the manner in which the main sail is controlled on my Willard. Simply put, I do not like the way it feels. You can only crank so much in and then you have to help push the boom to the center (close hauled is the term?) in order to get that final trim. There is something inefficient about the way the lines of force feel in this set-up: Much of the force generated by the winch is a downward vector from the apex of the isosceles triangle where the pulley is located under the boom.

I am heading to SF in a few days to see the show and thought I would keep an open mind as to some possible new ways to rig the mainsail.

The only other Willard I have seen was at Long Beach where I used to keep my boat. That person had a HUGE traveler that went over the sliding cabin roof. I did not like that much either.

Does anyone have some suggestions for different rigging setup?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0478.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	7792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	7793  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3013.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	7794  
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 23:29   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
The companionway cover certainly makes it a challenge. As much as you may not like the look of a traveler it is the option I would choose. Having the ability to trim with the traveler makes things a lot better.

I can't tell from the photos what the option would be for end boom sheeting and if you have a way to attach the gear from there.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2009, 10:06   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Michael--

In theory you could add track-risers and a High Beam Traveler Track that would span your companion way and give you somewhat better control of your boom (see http://www.harken.com/pdf/4524.pdf ). On your Willard, however, I question the benefit as the yacht is not one that could be driven to weather very closely and would likely make rather too much leeway if brought up too hard on the wind. You might find that adding a vang to control twist will allow your mainsheet to work somewhat better.

FWIW, you might find that two 2- or 3-part vangs, one on each side of the yacht, led through blocks attached to pad-eyes mounted just inboard of the bulwarks and then back to cam-cleats in the cockpit is just what you need. With the vang taken up, the mainsheet will have somewhat less vertical loading which should improve you ability to adjust the position of the boom. In any case however, I question whether the yacht can reasonably do better than 35-40 deg apparent.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rigging, willard