Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2020, 06:56   #31

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser
Re: Why not corded tool for electric winch alternative?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneKoolCat View Post
I have a Makita x2 angle drill with one of those winch bits in it. This uses 2 batteries at the same time. It is strong enough for my wife to haul my 1/8 of a ton of weight up the mast, (more after a meal) Actually I think My main sail is even heavier than I am, and no problems hauling that up. I have a friend with an equivalent Milwaukee. Both seem to do the job and if you charge the batteries when you are done, you always have charged batteries.

I am not sure exactly what the torque numbers are on these but it is more an a normal corded hand drill. If you have one or can borrow one try it out you will know pretty quickly if it will work for you.

One thing I would like to point out is the winch bit is 1/2 inch and will not fit in a 3/8 inch drill. Not sure if a 3/8 inch bit exists.

Good luck !
I like Makita tools a lot. And, the dual battery option seems pretty awesome for my large size.. Thanks
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 07:03   #32

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
Or, let her watch...

https://youtu.be/p5g0Cq8X9g8
I surprised myself yesterday when I had to go up. I've had 3 major surgeries in the last 2 years (cervical, and 2 left shoulder surgeries). I was able to shimmy my way up so my wife basically just had to winch the safety line behind me except for two short spaces where there was nothing for me to grab. But, using the larger 50 two speed Lemar winch made it much easier for her to haul me through those two areas
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 15:08   #33

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Why not?

I locktited the chuck on mine about 5 years ago after breaking a few LH 1/4-20 Allen head screws that locked the chuck in place. No problems ever since. If I needed to get the chuck off (highly unlikely) a bit of heating will release the red locktite and it will then unscrew.

And when I broke the screws I didn't take it in for service... I simply replaced the screw. And that was a problem... unbelievably, there were NO such screws available in Australia. Had to order from the States.

I'm not so sure that the service tech was such an idiot...

As others have said, a truly valuable addition to one's boat kit.

Jim
If it was meant to be lock-tited it would have come from the factory like that.

If you lock-tite it on how you going to ever turn the gear box around again. You just removed an option from a good tool.

The broken screw was left hand thread and broken off below the edge of the female thread. I took it there to get a new screw and to get them to take it out. It was under warranty.

But as I said, I solved that by running it hard in right hand mod and it was fixed. I expect the factory tech to know things like that.

And yes, good tool. Quite indispensable on our boat. We have tried grinding in the head sail by hand and it is exhausting going up wind.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 15:15   #34

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
If you need someone to haul you up the mast you are at their mercy. First, you have to find someone with nothing better to do to hang around to get you up there. It's nice if you can trust them not to drop you. To be really safe a third person to tail the line is kind of important. Communicating with them when you're up there to move you up that critical 6" can be interesting. Would never think of not going up the mast on my own.

I agree with you 100%.

I have the gear for this but the ropes and harness are now 15 yrs old.
Look like new but who knows. I don't trust them anymore. Save 500 bucks and end up in a wheel chair if it fails does not sound like a good option to me.

If this Covid thing dies down and we do get away I will buy a new harness and new ropes before we go.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 07:39   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Milwaukee 1/2 inch right angle 28 vol Li rechargeable with winch bit. Look for a factory reconditioned tool with battery and charger. I paid $280 six years ago. The right angle gears are 1:2 increaser or 2:1 reduction. Assemble for reduction. This is a near standard favorite among cruisers. I can single hand mine as a furling drive. It has enough torque and storage reserve to pull me to the top of our 80 foot mast. I used a single battery to run my rigger up several times for an inspection. Keep the battery dry. It has a complex charge controller board internal to the battery. Keep the chuck oiled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2D8C6975-05A0-4D94-9B56-59429B907F98.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	225286  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 09:56   #36

I have the 28 V Milwaukee, other than spinning the chuck off, it has been a great tool for hauling the big full battened main up. But be aware, these are high torque tools, you have to have a light finger on the switch as they can do a lot of damage if a halyard catches on something or if the sail jams on the way up. And if there is a jam and you push it, the controller on the battery can burn out rendering the battery useless. If it stops, you need to stop! I purchased mine used via Craigslist then found a 28V Sawzall with a good battery from a pawn shop with a good battery for the price of a battery alone. The Battery Sawzall is a useful tool as well.
Catalacmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 11:58   #37

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

On the other hand, if it is only for hoisting people up the mast, we can use the capstan on the electric windlass to hoist a person up the mast. (re-route the halyard forward). A person can sit on the foredeck and watch what they are doing. Handling a safety line makes it more complicated. A helper person is a very good idea.

Hoisting sails: Jump the sail at the mast where the friction is less; you don't need an electric winch (although I can see it would come in handy pretty often). If you have a heavy sail set it up with a 2:1 halyard. For heavy jobs we use our big 3 speed manual winches.

I don't really need the big Milwaukee tool and have nowhere to put it anyhow.
Old 16-10-2020, 12:26   #38

12V Electric trailer winches can be used as a cheap alternative as long as you have a convenient mounting point.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 15:35   #39

Boat: O'Day 322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Milwaukee 1/2 inch right angle 28 vol Li rechargeable with winch bit. Look for a factory reconditioned tool with battery and charger. I paid $280 six years ago. The right angle gears are 1:2 increaser or 2:1 reduction. Assemble for reduction. This is a near standard favorite among cruisers. I can single hand mine as a furling drive. It has enough torque and storage reserve to pull me to the top of our 80 foot mast. I used a single battery to run my rigger up several times for an inspection. Keep the battery dry. It has a complex charge controller board internal to the battery. Keep the chuck oiled.
How do you reduce the gearing? Just turn the right angle head around?

I looked through my M0721 owners manual and I don’t see anything about a gear reduction.

That would be a good option for me. My drill raises my mainsail very quickly, but not enough torque to raise me up the mast on a single speed winch. I assume I am in “high-speed” mode, but the drill is on the boat, so will have to look at it.

Greg
Tanqueray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2020, 16:32   #40

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Our Millie came pre-assembled in the reduction mode, FWIW.

Jim
Old 16-10-2020, 19:32   #41

Boat: Maxi87 29' sailboat

If you buy a NEW :
The manual of Milwaukee 28V angle drill is "Printed in China".
The rest of the machine is probably also made in China (but probably still designed in USA).

I was a supervisor of ship engines in China and know the level of quality control.
How to avoid buying "Made in China ", when even an honorable brand like Milwaukee bends down to them ??
carstendenmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:18   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Please further describe the "2 angle adapters" mentioned by by "Dark Horse". My Milwaukee right angle drill struggles some times, so the increase in torque over speed would be just what I need, but I cannot find anything on line that seems like the "2 angle adapters" mentioned. Please explain.
Roy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 08:39   #43

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Bruner View Post
Please further describe the "2 angle adapters" mentioned by by "Dark Horse". My Milwaukee right angle drill struggles some times, so the increase in torque over speed would be just what I need, but I cannot find anything on line that seems like the "2 angle adapters" mentioned. Please explain.
The gears in the right angle part are 1:2 and 2:1

Disassemble the drill so you have the right angle subassembly in your hand. Turn the shafts. You see that it is speed up and lower torque one input. Turn it around and install back into the drill as a reducer, torque increaser. This is very simple.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 19:38   #44

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
I was looking into this about 6 months ago and some online said there was a new Milwaulkee model that had "brushless motor" ---Is this better ??
Yes. Almost always more power, less battery consumption, and no brushes to wear out.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 19:43   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Yes. Almost always more power, less battery consumption, and no brushes to wear out.
True in theory, but does such an item to replace the 28V Milwaukee actually exist? Especially one available in Australia (where the 28V line is not imported).

Jim

Tags
electric, winch