Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2020, 09:56   #16

Boat: C&C
Re: Why not corded tool for electric winch alternative?

We have the 28V Milwaukee and been using it for 9 years now. Have a spare battery for it. The wife hoists me up the 54ft mast no problem, but yes you need a 2 speed winch, we usually get 4-5 hoists per battery. Use our invertor to recharge the batteries and away you go. Wouldn't be without it!
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 10:08   #17

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

I have a Makita x2 angle drill with one of those winch bits in it. This uses 2 batteries at the same time. It is strong enough for my wife to haul my 1/8 of a ton of weight up the mast, (more after a meal) Actually I think My main sail is even heavier than I am, and no problems hauling that up. I have a friend with an equivalent Milwaukee. Both seem to do the job and if you charge the batteries when you are done, you always have charged batteries.

I am not sure exactly what the torque numbers are on these but it is more an a normal corded hand drill. If you have one or can borrow one try it out you will know pretty quickly if it will work for you.

One thing I would like to point out is the winch bit is 1/2 inch and will not fit in a 3/8 inch drill. Not sure if a 3/8 inch bit exists.

Good luck !
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 13:38   #18

Boat: 12m aluminium centreboarder

I adapted a 12V golf cart motor/gearbox which works really well.
The power cord is not really a serious problem since my main winches are next to the companionway.
I made a baseplate that engages onto the stripper arm on the top of the winches so the motor doesn't need to be held to prevent it from rotating.
Plenty of power (240W), bidirectional and not too fast.
adjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 13:44   #19

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

Or, let her watch...

https://youtu.be/p5g0Cq8X9g8
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 14:08   #20

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

DCD460B
FLEXVOLT® 60V MAX* VSR™ STUD AND JOIST DRILL WITH E-CLUTCH® SYSTEM (TOOL ONLY)

I use it for hoisting the main and striking the rollerfurler 140% Genoa it cost 400$ on sale with 2 batteries. I have used smaller drills first but they all failed when the load exceeded their capacity. This drill and battery system will give you several outings before you need to switch out for a new one.

I have a Jeanneau SO 44i, the main is 100+ ponds, I can hoist it manually but the time and energy savings when on solo excursions is priceless ...especially when needing to strike the Genoa or reduce the forsail quickly.

Buy the big one if your vessel is over 35 feet, a 1/2 inch drill will not cut it.

Good luck.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 17:32   #21

Boat: Hunter 34

I use a Milwaukee 28V angle drive that I dedicate to this job , only for hoisting the main on my H34. It always stays charged when docked, and because I use it for this purpose only, I have never had the battery run dry even on several day cruises. And yes, it will also rip your arm off and damage your rig because it is so powerful, so you have to watch the hoist carefully. Was expensive but worth every penny as I am at an age where doing this singular job really fatigues me to the point I hate doing it.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 18:59   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

If you need someone to haul you up the mast you are at their mercy. First, you have to find someone with nothing better to do to hang around to get you up there. It's nice if you can trust them not to drop you. To be really safe a third person to tail the line is kind of important. Communicating with them when you're up there to move you up that critical 6" can be interesting. Would never think of not going up the mast on my own.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:01   #23

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

+1 roverhi
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:07   #24

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmaguidhir View Post
Hi,
Would like to ask what are the 2 angle adaptors used with the Milwaukie 28 angle drill.
Thanks
There are 2 types of angle drills.

Milwaukee-1-2-in-Super-Hawg-Drill

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...75-6/100000548

( in various looks and electric configurations)

Notice that the Hole Hawg machine itself is a fixed configuration. You can not change it. It does not look like it can be changed. It is old school

On the second one

Milwaukee 1/2 in. Heavy Right-Angle Drill Kit

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...07-6/100040673

(as electric cord or 28 volts or 18 volts.)

You can turn the head 360 just by loosening the bolts on the chrome tube. You can also take the head right off and swap it end for end. It has a 2.5 to 1 gear reduction in it.

You can buy extra parts for this drill and give it more torque with a lower speed.

So base it has possible RPM of 0-400 or RPM of 1000.

This is the really important part folks.

The whole drill is basically 6 pieces that will come apart. An engine, a battery a chrome sleeve, a right angle gear box, a chuck and a sleeve inside the chrome sleeve that connects the drive shafts.

You can buy a new right angle gear box, a new chrome sleeve and inner sleeve and add that to your drill.

It becomes a double right angle drill. You can set it up so the max RPM is about 166 rpm. The torque is incredible. The batter life is incredible and you don't kill batteries dead by overheating them.

I will try and take some pictures and it will be obvious.

It was cheaper for me to buy a whole right angle electric corded version from the Milwakee yearly sale. All refurb stuff.

I weigh 260. I am a big boy. It hauled me 20ft up the mast on a two speed winch twice in 20 minutes and used a battery for 1 and 3/4 of the trip. Will not do on a single speed at all.

This has the added benefit of being very hard to stall and much easier on the batteries.

Today on one battery:

I raised a 10oz 600 sq ft main 52 ft and set the luff tension. ( basically you stall the drill)
We ran a 750 jib and a 200 sq ft jib in 20+ knots apparent up wind, did all the sheeting for the main and jibs, Sheet up and then through 4 tacks. When the drill stalled with the big jib I did a couple of inches by hand with Lewmar 65s Grinding them in by hand is very difficult. The drill, even with 2 gear reductions almost always stalls at the end of the big jib tack

When we get ready to go south I will buy another drill with another angle and keep it in a box. Something happens to that and we are hosed bad. I should get the drill a life jacket.

Note on first use.
The chuck is screwed in the gear box with a right hand screw and a small backing left hand screw inside the chuck as a keeper. You need to use this drill in right hand mode only until you get the chuck good and tight and then tighten up the keeper.

If you use it in left hand more before the chuck is tightened it will back off and break off the screw and you have to take it in for service. Idiot service tech wanted to lock-tight the chuck on. DO NOT DO THAT

If your in Canada and you want to get new 28 volt batteries look up JC Cayer a mail order tool shop. You get US prices marked up to Canadian funds. They are double that if you buy them through Milwaukee Canada.

Do not buy refurb Chinese batteries for this drill. Very dangerous.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:22   #25

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post

Also, wet 120v non-marine equipment doesn't seem a good idea.

Your definitely going to want a GFI that's for sure.

You will not catch me at the mast with a high torque 120 volt electric motor.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 19:51   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
If you use it in left hand more before the chuck is tightened it will back off and break off the screw and you have to take it in for service. Idiot service tech wanted to lock-tight the chuck on. DO NOT DO THAT
Why not?

I locktited the chuck on mine about 5 years ago after breaking a few LH 1/4-20 Allen head screws that locked the chuck in place. No problems ever since. If I needed to get the chuck off (highly unlikely) a bit of heating will release the red locktite and it will then unscrew.

And when I broke the screws I didn't take it in for service... I simply replaced the screw. And that was a problem... unbelievably, there were NO such screws available in Australia. Had to order from the States.

I'm not so sure that the service tech was such an idiot...

As others have said, a truly valuable addition to one's boat kit.

Jim
Old 11-10-2020, 20:45   #27

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilanortho View Post
I use a Milwaukee 28V angle drive that I dedicate to this job , only for hoisting the main on my H34. It always stays charged when docked, and because I use it for this purpose only, I have never had the battery run dry even on several day cruises. And yes, it will also rip your arm off and damage your rig because it is so powerful, so you have to watch the hoist carefully. Was expensive but worth every penny as I am at an age where doing this singular job really fatigues me to the point I hate doing it.

Hear, hear! I expect mine will add five years to my sailing life!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 21:10   #28

I was looking into this about 6 months ago and some online said there was a new Milwaulkee model that had "brushless motor" ---Is this better ??
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:45   #29

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
My question isn't the cord so much as the clutch on the typical drill--is it up to the task so that it doesn't break? Or might it break your/your wife's wrist with funky ergonomics? Osteoporosis is a real concern here, particularly with stroke history.

Otherwise one could consider a corded impact driver as an alternative...not a bad tool to have on board.
Ah, didn't think of that. Yes osteoporosis is a concern we both always forget to take into consideration.

On a side note, we had our shackle break yesterday while raising the main sail. No kidding. The stainless shackle broke into two pieces. It sounded like a gunshot going off and the sail dropped like a stone while the halyard shot to the top of the mast. Good thing part of the shackle and knot kept it from going into the mast.

So, I shimmered up while she winches the safety line with me. Thing is a sheave fell out while I up there that neither of us noticed. Lucily it landed on the deck and stayed on the boat (wow). So, I get to go back up again. Wish I had the drill now, lol.
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:47   #30

Boat: Bavaria 33 Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse View Post
You will need an angle drill for sure.

You would be very surprised at the amount of current a 120 volt 13 amp drill will pull off your batteries. The drill will draw 1500 watts at 120volts. Think 125 amps on a clean no loss inverter at 12 volts.

Those are big cables and big batteries your going to need. Your inverter might very well fail over in the time it takes to drag you up the mast.

We use a Milwaukee 28 volt angle drill with 2 angle adaptors to get the gearing down. Much easier on the batteries and the drill. Batteries last 4 times longer with the extra gear down. We destroyed a battery when using it without the second adaptor and it did not take very long. Over heating is bad.

Do not by one of those cheap winch mates either. Have not heard good things.

We have a few batteries. We use the inverter to recharge the battery and we never run out.

Torquey though. Best hang on tight because ya, it can get away from you.

We have most of the toys but if there is anyone around I always prefer 2 people at the bottom. Hard to sail with a broken back.
Thanks mate. Didn't think of any of that either
CurtisM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, winch