Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2021, 00:18   #1

Why dont jibs use endless furlers?

Why dont jibs use endless furlers instead of the single line with drums? Seems like a lot more simple solution that would be more reliable, no jams, overrides, etc?
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 01:06   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: Why dont jibs use endless furlers?

No disagreement from me. I don't know if they're still going, but our first boat had a 'Sailspar' system fitted with a single long loop of 8mm rope for the reefing line which passed through a set of jaws on the sail drum; it worked a treat on our 9m/30' yacht and don't see why it wouldn't perform similarly on bigger ones too.

These people: https://www.sailspar.co.uk/yacht-pro...dsail-reefing/
Old 15-05-2021, 01:18   #3

Boat: Aluminium 37ft - META Strongall design

I believe Facnor already do endless furling systems for headsails. They are used on race boats and no doubt we will see them more in the years to come specifically for cruising yachts.
Diamond-Esp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 02:58   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Endless furler lines are for sails that are all out or all in, they are not for reefing sails. The furling line would slip on the drum if it had to hold a reefed sail.

That’s why you never sail with a reefed gennaker either.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 04:52   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Endless furler lines are for sails that are all out or all in, they are not for reefing sails. The furling line would slip on the drum if it had to hold a reefed sail.

That’s why you never sail with a reefed gennaker either.

This.

There were endless loop furlers on the market for headsails (not gennakers or code zeros) that in the manual warned they were not for reefing.
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 06:25   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Endless furler lines are for sails that are all out or all in, they are not for reefing sails. The furling line would slip on the drum if it had to hold a reefed sail...
The Sailspar one didn't, there was a little 'slack' kept in the loop which provided enough line to lock off the loaded side of the endless line around a suitably placed cleat; as you do when the sail's rolled and you moored/anchored.
Old 15-05-2021, 08:50   #7

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Why dont jibs use endless furlers instead of the single line with drums? Seems like a lot more simple solution that would be more reliable, no jams, overrides, etc?
Agree with Diamond-Esp!! I used a top down furler with a "continuous line" to the cockpit for my asymmetrical spinnaker sail. It makes jibing pretty convenient without leaving the cockpit. Just furl in the spinnaker sail, jib and deploy.

I have a Selden Furlex on my sailboats and have never had the issues you are speaking about so long as you keep a little tension on the furling line when unfurling the jib to avoid wrapping the line on itself in the drum, which can result in the issues you speak about.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 09:01   #8

Hood made them for decades. The downside is that you have to splice the line. You also need twice as many stanchion fairleads.

Hood finally gave up on that and replaced it with the now standard single line to a drum.

Of course there are continuous lines for other sails that don't get reefed.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 09:54   #9

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinar View Post
Our Cal 2-29 has a continuous line furler, still in use. Hood
Really don't reef the jib, as the cut of the sail passes wind under it and pulls much less.
We have a pin fastened to the drum that we drop into place, we furl in the sail and drop the pin in and it's "reefed"
We don't plan to keep this set up, but it's working for now.
SV Cloud Duster
Old 15-05-2021, 10:23   #10

Gosh! We use an endless loop rig on a furled mainsail at the sailing school. No problems; actually prefer it; very easy to operate... yes, it does slip a bit “furler creep”, but if both parts of loop are controlled by separate clutches and the slack is taken up, it works very well. So, I believe a single/continuous loop configured similarly would work just fine...
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 11:19   #11
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

So... You can make an endless furler work... but you can also make a single line furler work very, very reliably, with zero chance of creep or opening in a windstorm, if you learn proper technique and load the correct line on the drum.

Often the wrong line is used (removing the core is one popular solution--webbing can also be a good solution). The drum can be aligned incorrectly. The jib is often furled on the wrong point of sail or the sheet is left slack.

I've had overrides... but not in many years and not on this boat. Just technique.
Old 15-05-2021, 12:09   #12

We rescued a very very tired solo sailor from outside Minerva Reef, in part because her endless jib furler failed.

She had sailed for about 10 days from nz with her jib reefed. The core had slipped within the case, leading to the case bunching badly and jamming in the furler just before the splice.

It was not an easy job to clear the jam and run a new line. It would have been even harder if the weather was getting worse and she had needed to reduce sail quickly on her own.
piebuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 14:50   #13

Can you say, "Hank on?"
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 16:00   #14

Boat: Yankee Dolphin 24'

The Youtube-r "Adventures of an old Seadog" sailed half-way around the world (somewhere near England to New Zealand) with one of the continuous line reefing jibs. I've never seen a video where it is unreefed (though I haven't watched all of them).
So they exist, and do work. I don't recall him mentioning any problem with the furler, just the genoa.
tenchiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2021, 00:31   #15

Boat: Outremer 55L

All the examples provided of an endless line furler used for reefing are with smaller boats. Even the Sailspar link earlier showed a maximum LOA of 40 feet and relatively small head sail for that size of boat. So yes, a 20 or 30 something foot boat could be perfectly fine.

What’s the issue with single line furlers? These are proven to work for all boats and require much less line and rigging.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furler, jib