Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 09:46   #16

Boat: 1973 GULFSTAR 41 CENTER COCKPIT
Re: Whose traveller would you want?

I recently replaced all of the balls in a 30 year old Harken traveler on 1980 one tonner . The replacement process took less than one hour. The traveler and all of the turning blocks are now as good as new. The owner of the boat could not believe the difference. Many of the old balls came out in fractured pieces.

The fact that Harken dealers keep the balls and the loading trays in stock is all the recommendation that I would need to spend the extra money on the Harken Traveller.
CHRIS V CLEMENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:00   #17

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

I put in a new Garhauer on my Bristol 29.9 last year and am very happy. Excellent quality of construction. I was also on a tight timeframe and they made it up quickly. I filled the old holes with thickened epoxy and redrilled, nbd.Click image for larger version

Name:	1575482305955.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	204351
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:01   #18

Boat: Tayana 37 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
How about no traveler? the primary purpose of a traveler is to keep the boom from rising; but a boom vang can do that just as well. I set my vang for the proper position off the wind and just keep it there. As I sheet in, the main sheet brings the boom further down-- always keeping just about the right tension on the boom.

Time out for some elementary clarification:

1) The purpose of a boom vang is to keep the boom from rising.
2) The purpose of the traveler is to set the main'sl for the best advantage to the wind while keeping the mast out of the water.
Taipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Garhauer sold me end blocks for my 35 year old NicroFico "X" traveler. RigRite wanted 300 bucks a piece and said it would take 3 months. While waiting, I found Garhauer had the same end blocks and charge a whopping $75 each. I would go to them for my future needs before anyone else.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:12   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I did call Garhauer and spoke to someone who wasn’t Guido.
If I send them my track they can duplicate it and have it to me 5 weeks after they receive mine.
I may still go that route, and hindsight being 20/20 it’s probably the way I should have gone. Largely because I will buy from someone who isn’t a global Corporation and you can call and talk to the actual person doing the work. I much prefer that than talking to some spares person who in all honestly doesn’t have a clue.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:15   #21

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Garhauer sold me end blocks for my 35 year old NicroFico "X" traveler. RigRite wanted 300 bucks a piece and said it would take 3 months. While waiting, I found Garhauer had the same end blocks and charge a whopping $75 each. I would go to them for my future needs before anyone else.
RigRite wanted over $500 for a Goiot toe rail chock that I found in France for U.S. $140 including shipping. I will never do business with them.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:39   #22

I have used Harken travellers for mainsheet and their Battcar system on the full batten mainsail for many years while both ocean crossing and local racing. It is good and robust gear.
Paul Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:49   #23

My Tayana 37 had a replacement installed when I got it. It's a Garhauer and a very strong looking piece of gear for sure.
OneHullPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 11:59   #24

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Whose traveller would you want?

a64pilot, I also strongly recommend Garhauer. I haven’t needed to replace a traveler but every bit of gear I have gotten from them has been top quality and the service has been superb too.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:26   #25
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lacoste 42 SE - Beneteau 50

Lewmar makes a "sliding bolt" track - you match your existing holes - They distribute out of Connecticut I think ? I have Lewmar on a Beneteau 50 - and can get most parts through Mauri Pro Sailing in Florida - 40% off SALE going now
DMBOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:32   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBOS View Post
Lewmar makes a "sliding bolt" track - you match your existing holes - They distribute out of Connecticut I think ? I have Lewmar on a Beneteau 50 - and can get most parts through Mauri Pro Sailing in Florida - 40% off SALE going now

I think everyone offers the sliding bolt, but for reasons I don’t understand it seems they only offer it to where it requires a nut underneath?
It seems most of the sliders are made so that a hex head bolt fits in them to prevent the bolt from rotating.
Now I don’t understand why that slider can’t be a counter sink washer so that a screw that screws into the aluminum plate that is I believe in most boats cabin top.

That seems to be too logical, so I’m missing something.

I’d go with Garhauer, it’s the 5 weeks thing that I don’t have now, because with the upcoming holidays, that would surely turn into 6 weeks min, and that’s February.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:44   #27
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipe View Post
Time out for some elementary clarification:

1) The purpose of a boom vang is to keep the boom from rising.
2) The purpose of the traveler is to set the main'sl for the best advantage to the wind while keeping the mast out of the water.
I don't understand "while keeping the mast out of the water." Whatever you can do with a traveler, you can also do with the boom vang and the main sheet.
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 13:00   #28

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Another vote for Guido and especially for Garhauer.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 13:00   #29

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmz View Post
I don't understand "while keeping the mast out of the water." Whatever you can do with a traveler, you can also do with the boom vang and the main sheet.
Not at all. The vang allows you to pull the boom down wherever it happens to be. The mainsheet’s job is to haul the boom in and out. But, when sheeted in tightly it ends up pulling the boom down when you may not want that. The traveller’s job is to change the position from which you operate the main sheet. Without it you can’t get close-hauled without pulling the main very flat, and you can’t do much with the boom without affecting the sail shape.

The traveller is how you control the twist of the sail, and you can’t sail efficiently without one. You can do without a vang at a pinch on a smaller boat, but sailing without a traveller takes away one of your most significant controls.

Since we're here, I really like the Rutgerson kit for tracks and their service and delivery is good too.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 13:05   #30

Boat: Dix 43 HD

My choice would be Harken if you cannot wait for Garhauer. Good gear with good reputation
Grattaway is offline   Reply With Quote