Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2020, 04:15   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50
Which lines to choose?

Hi all,

although not new to sailing, I am however a new owner and subsequently I need to be the one now making the decisions.
I have a Beneteau Oceanis 50, 2010, will be breaking out of Spain in about a month, heading to Greece, although a high probability of going down to Gib first
I want to replace much of the running rigging as some of it is showing signs of chafe etc.
My clutches are Spinlock Cam 0814, which can take 8 - 14mm line. Winches are Harken 46 on the coach roof and two 60's for the sheets.
Looks like most of the lines are 12mm.
What sizes would you use and what type?

Thanks in advance.

Ray.
Ray. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 02:28   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31
Re: Which lines to choose?

The clutches are happiest with the biggest diameter line that will fit. Your wallet is happiest with the thinnest.
If the boat has sailed a lot with the rigging now in place, why not replace like for like? 12mm seems pretty average for a boat that size, if it's dyneema core. But surely there are specs available from the builder?
When buying line, beware of cheap off-brands from former Soviet countries, and flee from anything Chinese. Where you are there should be Marlow (English) available, as well as Gottifredi Maffioli (Italian), Gleistein (German) and Premium (Dutch). Surely there are others--these are just the ones I know and would trust.
Old 18-02-2020, 04:20   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Sometimes a thicker line than what is necessary for strength is nice for the way it’s easier on the hands.
Looking at just strength my Genoa sheets are WAY bigger than necessary, but the larger line is way more comfortable.

I agree with the idea of staying with the size of line on the boat now if you have been happy with them.
I change a couple of lines every year, I do not do them all at once, reason is I want spread the cost out and if you do many at once, then they will need replacing most likely all at once. Depends on your budget.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 10:08   #4

Hi Ben,
thanks for your comments and suggestions. I agree that when you rely on your running rigging, especially when we will be cruising during the winter months (well march onwards) we can still expect some nasty weather. The majority is 12mm, with some at 10mm. I don't have to change too much and will carry at least a good length of each size.

Thanks

Ray.
Old 18-02-2020, 10:09   #5

Hi a64pilot,

Thanks for your comments... like for like it is and have some recommended manufacturers to look out for

Ray.
Old 18-02-2020, 11:50   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: We have some Spinlock clutches of that same size on the mast, and have 12mm spectra core halyards running through them... and there is a lot of friction. We have t he same clutches on the coach roof for main sheet and reefing lines using 10 mm lines, some are spectra core and some just Dacron... far less friction, no slippage in clutches.

Our genoa sheets are 14 mm dacron, but don't run through clutches at all; I reckon that 14 mm in those clutches would be a disaster!

Jim