Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 16:01   #1

Boat: Bristol 31.1
Which halyard where?

I'm putting together a boat that has been on the hard for 3 years. The boat was pro winterized and wrapped, mast unstepped, stripped of spreaders, running rigging stored in the boat. The owner subsequently fell ill and died. We bought the boat from the estate so i have no one consult about how things go back together.
Fortunately its a relatively simple masthead sloop rig with Harken roller furling, lazy jacks and halyards cleated at the base of the mast. Just 2 halyards -
One is rope to wire with a D shaped threaded pin shackle, black or blue flecked rope. The other is all rope, red flecked, with a snap shackle. There is a small pulley mounted to the forward face of the mast, maybe 8" below the masthead I assume is to keep the jib halyard from wrapping around the forestay when the jib is furled. Since its plastic it has to be for the rope halyard. There is evidence on the sides of the mast hardware, anchor light and the like, of light abrasion that looks like a wire halyard might've rubbed that coincides with the path of the returning main halyard.
So my conclusion is that the all-rope, snap shackle halyard is for the jib, and the wire-rope one is for the main. Does that sound correct?
gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:18   #2

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Which halyard where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gansett View Post
I'm putting together a boat that has been on the hard for 3 years. The boat was pro winterized and wrapped, mast unstepped, stripped of spreaders, running rigging stored in the boat. The owner subsequently fell ill and died. We bought the boat from the estate so i have no one consult about how things go back together.
Fortunately its a relatively simple masthead sloop rig with Harken roller furling, lazy jacks and halyards cleated at the base of the mast. Just 2 halyards -
One is rope to wire with a D shaped threaded pin shackle, black or blue flecked rope. The other is all rope, red flecked, with a snap shackle. There is a small pulley mounted to the forward face of the mast, maybe 8" below the masthead I assume is to keep the jib halyard from wrapping around the forestay when the jib is furled. Since its plastic it has to be for the rope halyard. There is evidence on the sides of the mast hardware, anchor light and the like, of light abrasion that looks like a wire halyard might've rubbed that coincides with the path of the returning main halyard.
So my conclusion is that the all-rope, snap shackle halyard is for the jib, and the wire-rope one is for the main. Does that sound correct?

Works for me, that is how mine is.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:43   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, that is usually how it is done. If your winches are on the mast then the main halyard would be on the starboard side sheaves at the masthead and jib on the port so that the lines come down straight to the correct side of the drums. Before hoisting the mast back up, it'd be a good idea to be sure the standing rigging is all good first.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 16:59   #4

You've got it, Gansett!

Mains have heavier loads, so their halyards often have a wire component for a taut, non-stretching leading edge.

Hope that hoist goes smoothly! (And remember a dubloon - or a good substitute - at the base of the mast for good luck....)

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 03:54   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes, that is usually how it is done. If your winches are on the mast then the main halyard would be on the starboard side sheaves at the masthead and jib on the port so that the lines come down straight to the correct side of the drums. Before hoisting the mast back up, it'd be a good idea to be sure the standing rigging is all good first.
Excellent!
I did inspect the standing rigging looking for corrosion, cracked swages, meat hooks and worn eyes. I dont know if its the original rig but its in very good shape. I dont anticipate any problems.
Old 28-06-2020, 10:11   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

BTW check those sheaves too. I had the old phenolic in mine and one had cracked so I replaced all 4. I had to get them custom made. If you have to go that route, or need any help with rigging, I highly recommend Ballenger Spar systems in Watsonville, CA. They knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I asked them about it.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 13:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
BTW check those sheaves too. I had the old phenolic in mine and one had cracked so I replaced all 4. I had to get them custom made. If you have to go that route, or need any help with rigging, I highly recommend Ballenger Spar systems in Watsonville, CA. They knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I asked them about it.
Yep. Lubed them up, along with the main slot and the furler slots

Tags
halyard